JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I loaded up 50 rounds of .45 ACP today using S&B brass and Wolf 230 gr FMJ RN bullets. After checking the primer pockets and reading about how tight they are, ( most of them will not accept my Ballistic Tools "Go" gauge) I went ahead and reamed them with a Lyman large primer hand reamer. They were full length sized in a Lee carbide sizing die, and belled slightly with the Lee expander die. When I seated the bullets, over a third of the rounds have insufficient case tension to prevent the bullet from slipping farther into the case when pushed against my bench. Any suggestions as to causes or work arounds? I did use Winchester primers as recommended by online posts regard the S&B tight primer pockets, so they primed okay. (These days one cannot afford to waste primers.) Perhaps the Lee die isn't sizing the case sufficiently to hold the bullet? Or the Wolf bullets are undersized? Inadequate taper crimp from the Lee seating die? Ideas, anyone? Suggestions on salvaging the loose rounds are appreciated. Otherwise, I need to find someone with a S&W .45 ACP revolver, so they won't be wasted and I have to pull the bullets.
I have another 50 rounds primed and ready to add powder and seat bullets, but don't want to waste anymore if they can't have sufficient neck tension to feed in an autoloader.

Curious, what diameter do the bullets measure? Have you used the sizing die previously without similar issues? Regarding The Lee expander die, is it the flaring die or one that goes down into the case that some use for lead bullets (I think they call the M die?)

Curious, what diameter do the bullets measure? Have you used the sizing die previously without similar issues? Regarding The Lee expander die, is it the flaring die or one that goes down into the case that some use for lead bullets (I think they call the M die?)
It is just the flaring die with minimal belling of the case mouth. I have used the die set before with different brass without issue. Loaded 100 rounds the other day with different brass and no issues.

I would reduce the belling a little and lower the seating die to increase the crimp and raise the seating pin to compensate for the lowered die.
Tried that, still has issues. The bullets do seem to vary from .452 to .450, but is that enough to cause these issues? Maybe in conjunction with a slightly oversized sizing die?

What brand of brass is it and what does the head stamps look like? You can also check if the cases might be on the small side or try lowering seater die some more and see if that helps.

Years ago I had a great source for once fired Remington .45 acp brass, had the same issues you are experiencing. Thin brass...

Ended up tossing all that Remington brass and going back to scrounging.

FWIW, I've had similar issues with Remington 9mm.

Thanks for the replies. I have loaded a lot of S&B 9mm brass in 9mm, and don't recall any issues, but that was on my Dillon RL-550B with Dillon 9mm dies. Could be the Lee dies, I suppose.

Tried that, still has issues. The bullets do seem to vary from .452 to .450, but is that enough to cause these issues? Maybe in conjunction with a slightly oversized sizing die?
Yes, with expanders factory set for .4515 bullets, the .450s-.451s are not going to be held tightly. I've never used bullets with .002 variation, so there is most of your issue. Some possible solutions:

1. Get a LEE .45 ACP Carbide factory crimp die, which sizes the loaded round and applies a taper crimp.
2. Adjust your expander die up so that only the first 1/16"-1/8" of the case is expanded - just enough to get the bullet started without buckling the case. Then, use a LEE universal expanding die to flare the case mouth.
3. Chuck the expander into a drill press and turn it down about .002" (this will probably ruin it for other bullets)
4. $130, but a CH4D cannelure tool is one of the best inventions ever. You can roll a cannelure into any bullet and taper crimp into the cannelure. I recently used one I bought in the 70s to roll cannelures into some PPU 71 gr. 32 ACP bullets for use in .32 S&W Long. Worked great and is a lifetime investment.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top