JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i've been too cheap....or proud, so far but it is clear that I need to go the Rx route.
that sound advice to 'focus on your front sight" is nearly impossible now. argh

I always wear contacts (-1.50 OS / -2.50 OD) to correct for fuzzy distance vision. I'd rather see vehicles (and threats) at a distance than have perfect reading vision.
Plus, my lifestyle is not well-suited to wearing glasses, which tend to get swiped off my face while climbing or kayaking or get fogged up while skiing or mountaineering.
That being said, when I target shoot or compete, I just wear my readers/cheaters (+175) which allow me to see/focus on the front sight perfectly.
By just lifting my LOS, I can see over the top of my cheaters and confirm my target and backstop (sort of the way Chucky Bullschumer wears his, but not that far down my nose). :s0140:

ETA: Something else I briefly experimented with but abandoned were the poly-carbonate "bi-focal" safety glasses that come with the reader/cheater built in to the lower portion of the lens. I thought these would be the answer to my shooting eye-protection prayers, but sadly, it was not to be... While they're great for eye-protection in general and work swimmingly on the jobsite when reading construction documents, the field of vision provided for the reader/cheater portion is too narrow to quickly acquire when looking for the front sight. That's why I dumped them for shooting and went to the "full-on" readers/cheaters, which have a FOV the same as any regular pair of glasses.

I hope some of this helps...

Last Edited:
I just use my actual glasses. They are thicker polycarbonate than most actual eye protection.

Oakley's and Rudy Project both do prescriptions in ballistic rated lenses. You can either find an optometrist that works with their labs or send your prescription directly in.

Do be careful when you're dealing with optometrists. Many will sell you the Oakley frames, for example, and then fill those frames with generic lenses from their lab. Those lenses may be fine but they may not be. Make sure they're actually using Oakley lenses if that's important to you.

I've been happy with Tactical Rx Tactical RX Good advice and service.
My dominant eye is fine for distance, so I got a small bifocal high in the right eye to focus on the front sight. The theory being you do a slight nod of the head and get either distance in focus. But I got a replacement lens without the bifocal, keeping only the astigmatism correction, and that seems to be working well for rifle.
They have a wide selection of frames, but the Oakley frames I chose allowed me to switch the lenses myself.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top