JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i accidentally forgot to drain my water heater in our trailer and it froze and cracked. I'm looking for anybody who knows of a good place in Milwaukie/ OC area to get it welded up
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have an Oregon class-5 boiler/pressure vessel license, and I HIGHLY suggest that you do yourself a favor and just replace it.

First, unless it's stainless steel the tank will be glass lined and if not re-lined properly it will corrode from the inside and weaken, not to mention produce nasty rust/sludge in your potable water.

Second, welding a crack is one thing but the designed structural integrity of THAT tank has been compromised due to being "stretched out" and literally ripped. It will never be 100% up to to original design safety standards.

No legitimate/responsible class-3 (boiler structural repair/welder/) would put their name on that one.

Just sayin'... :eek:

Last Edited:
I have an Oregon class-5 boiler/pressure vessel license, and I HIGHLY suggest that you do yourself a favor and just replace it.

First, unless it's stainless steel the tank will be glass lined and if not re-lined properly it will corrode from the inside and weaken, not to mention produce nasty rust/sludge in your potable water.

Second, welding a crack is one thing but the designed structural integrity of THAT tank has be compromised due to being "stretched out" and literally ripped. It will never be 100% up to to original design safety standards.

No legitimate/responsible class-3 (boiler structural repair/welder/) would put their name on that one.

Just sayin'... :eek:

As a welder/fabricator I second this. I will not touch ANY pressure vessel that has a crack. The liability is simply not worth it. That being said aluminum is far, far worse to repair simply because of weld characteristics. A 100% weld on steel is considerably stronger than the surrounding base material. A 100% weld on 6061 aluminum is only about 60% as strong as the surrounding material (because the alloy is no longer heat treated in the weld zone)

These aren't glass lined,but I understand your point.
I have gone to smaller RV shops that have bought parts for people that left before the part was in and now they have something they don't stock.
I bought a 10 gallon tank this way. And would suggest ,if you have room,to upgrade to 10 gallon.You will love the extra 4 gallons when you shower.

Weld that up and its just going to split apart a 1/2" over from the current split. ( I am not a certified welder) but I have done repairs such as this. And its just a waste of time, should do it right the first time.

I agree with Ironmonster and Stomper 100%

I would keep an eye on craigslist for a used one..Also I think somewhere around Porkland there is a RV salvage yard?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top