Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

RV water heater repair

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TJdamon, May 1, 2015.

1. TJdamon

TJdamon Gladstone Member

i accidentally forgot to drain my water heater in our trailer and it froze and cracked. I'm looking for anybody who knows of a good place in Milwaukie/ OC area to get it welded up
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

new is 250-275 (6 gal) if nobody will stitch that up.

TJdamon likes this.
  3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah I wanna say if you don't know a heliarc guy,you gunna spend as much as new to weld that

4. mjbskwim

Oh and plug off the lines to that and check to see where else broke.

PiratePast40 likes this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I have an Oregon class-5 boiler/pressure vessel license, and I HIGHLY suggest that you do yourself a favor and just replace it.

First, unless it's stainless steel the tank will be glass lined and if not re-lined properly it will corrode from the inside and weaken, not to mention produce nasty rust/sludge in your potable water.

Second, welding a crack is one thing but the designed structural integrity of THAT tank has been compromised due to being "stretched out" and literally ripped. It will never be 100% up to to original design safety standards.

No legitimate/responsible class-3 (boiler structural repair/welder/) would put their name on that one.

Just sayin'... :eek:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    BoonDocks36 and IronMonster like this.
  6. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

As a welder/fabricator I second this. I will not touch ANY pressure vessel that has a crack. The liability is simply not worth it. That being said aluminum is far, far worse to repair simply because of weld characteristics. A 100% weld on steel is considerably stronger than the surrounding base material. A 100% weld on 6061 aluminum is only about 60% as strong as the surrounding material (because the alloy is no longer heat treated in the weld zone)

BoonDocks36 and Stomper like this.
  7. mjbskwim

These aren't glass lined,but I understand your point.
    I have gone to smaller RV shops that have bought parts for people that left before the part was in and now they have something they don't stock.
    I bought a 10 gallon tank this way. And would suggest ,if you have room,to upgrade to 10 gallon.You will love the extra 4 gallons when you shower.

TJdamon and Stomper like this.
  8. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Weld that up and its just going to split apart a 1/2" over from the current split. ( I am not a certified welder) but I have done repairs such as this. And its just a waste of time, should do it right the first time.

I agree with Ironmonster and Stomper 100%

I would keep an eye on craigslist for a used one..Also I think somewhere around Porkland there is a RV salvage yard?

Stomper likes this.
  9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

eBay has a bunch of new and used ones for decent prices.

10. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

On a similar note: You may have lines / mixing valves that popped at well. Pressure test after the W/H gets repaired to ensure the system is closed up.

BoonDocks36 and TJdamon like this.