JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I purchased a 1 lb metal can of IMR 4064 from the gun show. As I went to use it today I noticed rust dust coming out. Upon looking in the can there is a light coat of rust on the inside. The date stamp on bottom of the can is 1993 and I did have to peel off the top seal. it is just going to be used as plinking rounds so I just want to know if it is safe to use.

Rust means moisture or high oxygen content. Either is not good. You may have inconsistent results though I wouldn't be concerned about high pressures unless you over load the charge.

I`ve had powder turn bad, and the first sign was rust on the threads and cap. There was a fine rust colored airborn dust in the can. If you see this, throw it on your lawn. It makes good fertilizer. DO NOT BREATH THE DUST OR FUMES!!!!
Ask me how I know.
:)

That powder is breaking down. I've seen this in some older powder I had. Yah don't breath that red dust!!!!!!!! I had some loaded rounds with it also and after a year the cases split and green / red gunk slowly oozed out..
Also that red dust when it gets on other metal will corrode it..

Oddly enough... give it a whiff, if it smells rancid, it's probably no good, if not use it. For a while, there was a large lot of canister powder we were going through, and it wasn't uncommon to find a little bit of light rust in/on the cans, we ran it on a pressure rig and it was fine. Didn't have red dust in the powder though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top