Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

rusty powder

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by gunfreak, Mar 27, 2014.

1. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I purchased a 1 lb metal can of IMR 4064 from the gun show. As I went to use it today I noticed rust dust coming out. Upon looking in the can there is a light coat of rust on the inside. The date stamp on bottom of the can is 1993 and I did have to peel off the top seal. it is just going to be used as plinking rounds so I just want to know if it is safe to use.

2. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Rust means moisture or high oxygen content. Either is not good. You may have inconsistent results though I wouldn't be concerned about high pressures unless you over load the charge.

3. varminthunter1

varminthunter1 South Seattle, WA Member

I`ve had powder turn bad, and the first sign was rust on the threads and cap. There was a fine rust colored airborn dust in the can. If you see this, throw it on your lawn. It makes good fertilizer. DO NOT BREATH THE DUST OR FUMES!!!!
    Ask me how I know.
    :)

4. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

That powder is breaking down. I've seen this in some older powder I had. Yah don't breath that red dust!!!!!!!! I had some loaded rounds with it also and after a year the cases split and green / red gunk slowly oozed out..
    Also that red dust when it gets on other metal will corrode it..

5. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Oddly enough... give it a whiff, if it smells rancid, it's probably no good, if not use it. For a while, there was a large lot of canister powder we were going through, and it wasn't uncommon to find a little bit of light rust in/on the cans, we ran it on a pressure rig and it was fine. Didn't have red dust in the powder though.

Robo likes this.
  6. TwinStick

TwinStick In the wind Active Member

Ok, how do you know? Curious what happened to you.

7. varminthunter1

varminthunter1 South Seattle, WA Member

I personally am just fine, I have had a whiff of powder that has turned to the orange dust. It was the worst thing to breath. burned the nostrils for sure.