Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

rustoleum spray paint

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ben Beckerich, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

howdy

using some rustoleum paint to paint some bubblegum.. i know from past experience that this bubblegum takes FOREVER to cure. it "dries" in 24 hours, like it says on the can.. but then it's like 4-6 weeks before it can't be scraped right off without putting up a fight. i like it because once it's cured, it seems to be a lot tougher than krylon, but bubblegum- i don't have 6 weeks. anyone have any tricks? i've tried putting parts in the oven on low heat.. didn't really seem to help any, but that was flat black grill paint- might be more impervious to heat. this stuff is just regular ol enamel...

?

2. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Put it someplace that heat won't adversely affect and use a halogen worklight to warm it up to about 120-140* or so. Don't get it above 160* though.
    Keep it that way for 4 hours.
    That should kick it pretty well.

3. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Three to six months air dry time, 24 hours dry time via UV/IR/heat lamp and still 3 weeks air cure time after that. I've painted a couple cars using just Rustoleum and it's good enough quality for heavy use applications. That bloody cure time is just annoying. I have read instances of people using hardener compounds to lower the cure time without sacrificing quality.

4. FMJ 911

FMJ 911 Snohomish, Washington Active Member

That's what I'm using on my '68 Porsche 911.

Seems to work, but it does take a long time to dry/harden.