JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings all!

I've used the "search" feature of this site and of the google, but still haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for.....

I have a blued Browning bolt action rifle that gets hunted with in the wet Oregon Coast Range. Even though I'm good about wiping it down, drying, and oiling it when I come in from the field, it is developing a light speckling of pre-rust on the barrel from rain drops. No actual visible orange rust yet, thank goodness.

I would like to hunt with this rifle for a long time and am considering having it coated with something more weather/rust resistant than the factory bluing. The options I'm aware of and considering include cerakote, parkerization, or a dark-colored electroless nickle. I recognize that there'll probably be advocates for each option and others I didn't list, but I'd love any input about rust-resistant finish options, including value of process cost to long-term durability. If there are any particular applicators or smiths between the Portland metro region and the Coast that you'd recommend for such services, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

I have become a believer in Cerakote and had @Velzey do this one in a gloss finish:

IMG_20200103_094925387.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads