JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given two magazines for my beretta 96 that have surface rust on the outside of them. What's the best way to remove and prevent it from coming back? I was thinking just sanding them and painting them since it's just the outside. Anybody have a better solution or any different ideas?

Soak them overnight inside a ziplock baggie with Kroil and then rub with a clean soft cloth.
Keep then lightly oiled after that.
You might want to take them apart and clean the inside too.

I tried the oil and steel wool method but there is still a few small patches of rust that's why I was thinking of sanding and painting. Inside of them, spring, and baseplate are rust free. Thanks for the recommendation

If you arent opposed to rebluing it you could always do that?

I did it on a few older 1911, AK and M1A mags that I used rust remover on.
After I reblued them, I soaked them in oil, wiped them down and they are GTG.

Just cleaned up some of my rusted 92fs mags.
Only thing that worked was a copper penny (pre 71 I think) amazed that it didn't even leave a mark on the bluing, let alone not scratch it.

Keep scraping until it feels smooth and then use a gun cleaner that will remove copper (I used mpro 7)

I'll say be wary of rust removers, i have a great one, it strips off the bluing even more effectively (i have the 20rnd mag completely down to the metal, it just wiped off with a cloth)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top