JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello folks, i wave recently inherited about 20 sets of older rcbs and Redding dies with 2 presses that have smaller spots of surface rust. I did a quick scan and didn't see this topic so am asking here.

The rust is not enough to retire the dies and i would like to save them as spares for what i already reload and some that i will reload in the future. I'm hoping that i can buy something in bulk and soak them - then a little scrubbing. rather than treat each spot on each die separately. Each die has multiple spots and with 40-50 individual dies, that could take some effort.

Any ideas are appreciated, even if your just voting yes or reccomending on something already mentioned.

Kroil is what I would use. "The oil that creeps" made by Kano Labs.
Just place the items in a plastic baggie and spray/squirt enough to cover the parts and let sit a day or so.
The rust should wipe off.

Last Edited:
I use EVAPORUST with excellent results on tools, and even in muzzle loader barrels. It will run you about $25 a gallon. It is non toxic and will work for months before it wears out. Soak the item for a couple hours, wash with hot water, dry and oil lightly.

Lots of videos on YouTube comparing various methods. Here's a short one:

Saw one that said a soak in Coca Cola works pretty good, too.

To avoid scratching, use Brass wool and Barkeep's Friend.
For nickel and chrome plated stuff, use copper wool. I have restored several ancient faucets that way without scratching them.
For the inside of dies, you can use a drill and a brass bore brush.
Naval Jelly works too on some stuff like screws. If it gets near bluing, it will remove that too (bad).

Hey all. Just an update to thank you all for the responses. I have about 15 sets of dies to clean (plus 2 presses etc) so thought I'd get a couple of these products and compare them. I'll do my best to document the results. Wait for a report from me in a few weeks.

Side note, I also want to find a product that might work well in a sonic cleaner. Haven't found it yet but will report results.

Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top