JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm moving to Lincoln City next month. Any ideas/extra needs for rust prevention for keeping weapons at the beach? I know that my VW van is going to suffer while enjoying the salt air, but I'd really like to keep the guns "salt" free.

Humidifier in the safe perhaps? Otherwise keep it well oiled with Rem-Oil or the like while it is exposed outside of the safe.

Edit: I don't see any problems so long as you don't keep it under the seat of your vehicle as a "truck gun".....just take care of them as you would normally......a good wipe-down once a month or so should serve well.

Humidifier in the safe. Kind of a BAD idea.

I personally use a DEhumidifier in my safe room. It is too big and generates too much heat for use in the safe

Oops, well, y'all know what I meant. Lot's of stuff on the market to help with moisture in safes, etc.

Humidifier in the safe. Kind of a BAD idea.

I personally use a DEhumidifier in my safe room. It is too big and generates too much heat for use in the safe

Lots of popular gun oils and greases turn out to be not-so-good for rustproofing, despite their reputations and advertising(especially bad are WD-40 and G-96!). Do a google search for "firearm rust preventative test" or such like and you will find lots of good, scientific tests of major brand names done by serious gunsmiths, and some surprising results.

"Boeshield T-9" is a superb aerospace spray corrosion proofer. Breakfree CLP is widely available and very well tested. Old-timers like "RIG Gungrease" and it is now available again at gunshops. A light wipedown of RIG Grease fights rust very well without much expense...........................elsullo

Breakfree CLP and EEZOX are both fairly popular and work very well. Follow elsullo's google advice and you'll find a lot of information.

steel preservative... mix some into your gun oil, or use a steel preservative oil, depending on the type of guns we're talking about. PB Blaster is a good additive for steel preservation, as is Marvel Mystery Oil. i use Marvel as a storage preservative for steel parts... works.

There is a product call Dry-Z-Air. It comes in a small size container that will fit in a gun safe. People with boats at marinas use this stuff to help keep their boats from rotting and molding in the cabins and other enclosed spaces. Use transmission fluid on the rust you already have on your VW. ;)

Invest your hard-earned dollars (maybe three) in a can of Johnson's Paste Wax (or Minwax's similar product). All exterior surfaces (metal and wood), buff it off, and your old friend will look like a shiny penny, and resist fingerprints. Break-Free CLP on the interior mechanisms and barrel. I got two gallons of the old CLP from a buddy that was a tank mechanic for the Marines. Supposedly carcinogenic in the old formula so they trashed their stockpiles. The new stuff seems to work almost as well.

For Alaska trips, I will coat all exterior surfaces, and interior of a wood stock with a liberal application of the paste wax and leave it on. Your gun looks like Haedes, but it is impervious to moisture, and upon return to home, it polishes off easily.

Gun safe DE humidifier? Silica gel. Grab every packet you get out of new stuff like stereos, scopes, etc. Toss it in the safe. Once a year, dry it in the oven. Lasts forever. You can buy it in bigger packets.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top