JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hope I am posting in the right place.

My father in law pulled out a Colt .38 Army Special from his safe, he had it stored in what looked to be a furry sheep skin holster. Looking up the serial number is over 100 years old..

Due to the way it was stored I am sure the whole thing is covered in a very light rust. He asked to research cleaning the thing up and give it a try if I felt comfortable.

Is this something I can try myself?

Random Google image of what it looks like so you can get the style of gun:
Colt%20Army%20Special.JPG

Hi cbzdel,
Just get some rags and use Simple Green Use it and rub it till you don't get rust on the rag any more. Then wash off the Simple Green with water. Dry the gun off with with rag, use a hair dryer or place on cookie sheet, place cookie sheet in oven @ 210 deg. for 30 - 45 mins. Use Brake Free on all the parts and wipe them down, Put gun back together.
Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Also see Tips, Tricks & Kinks

Nice. Those "new service" series revolvers are well made. I have one in .41 long colt and it shoots pretty well. Thank goodness the cowboy action craze made brass available again. Have fun. Old or not, I'd say it is still in the use-it-don't-show-it category. "Living museum" so to speak. Have fun.

I use some CLP, a rag, and a brass bristle brush. It will only remove the surface rust but I've never been able to see any marks in the original finish. Keep it oiled up good so it can soak in and keep it oiled. The rust spots will be more prone to rusting again. If its real light rust just some CLP and a rag might do the job. You can use other things besides CLP, you could use any oil but ones that are "solventy" will break the rust up a bit better. ie hoppes no. 9 also a nylon bristle brush might help if you want something less agressive than brass

I used a Birchwood-Casey lead cleaner on my Anschutz rifle- stored in a damp safe for over 20 years. It was covered all over the exposed blued surfaces with a very thin 'dusting' of rust. Careful use of this cloth removed 99% of it.

DSC00087.jpg

DSC01079.jpg
tac

PS - I just realise that I've SUCCESSFULLY uploaded images!!!!!!!! Whoooo-hooooo! This means that I can show you my guns and shooting stuff. BTW, have a look at Youtube - tac's guns - to get a flavour of our club here in yUK.

DSC00087.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

I have had good results with Blue Wonder gun cleaner. Directions for rust removal are on the tube, and it works for ordinary cleaning after firing.
Re: Kroil: I saw an article about freeing stuck parts comparing various penetrating lubricants. The best was 50/50 ATF and acetone. Kroil was 2nd.

Try looking on YouTube for videos on rust removal using a battery charger and Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda.
It's fairly amazing the results that I have had using this method.
I was given an old revolver that was completely rusted together. You couldn't tell exactly what it was, only that it was a six shot revolver.
After three days in the tank, out came a fully functioning Colt .38.
The inside of the barrel was pretty bad, but other then that, it looked really good.
You need a variable output charger to work the best, and best of all, you don't need to brush on the bluing, just use compressed air to remove the hot water rinse and then soak it in WD40 to displace any moisture inside the firearm.
I just used the same method on a 73 Norton Commando gas tank that I am restoring.
All I needed was a larger plastic tub and it cleaned every speck of rust from the inside.
I finished the bare metal inside with Jasco Metal Prep acid etch to stop any more rust from happening.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top