JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Nevada was dry. Very dry. I had no need for extra care or oil. Just clean it and throw it back in the safe with minimal oil.

Well I finally broke down since being in Oregon and got into the safe and recleaned and heavily lubed all of my firearms. I still need to get a good moisture absorber for the safe and ammo cans.

My question for you all is magazines? Do you oil your springs? Any issues or signs of rust in mags?

Just wondering. As I really don't want to have to field strip and clean all of them.

I wipe my magazine springs down with the same thing I use on my guns; currently, Frog Lube. Have never had a rust problem with any of my blue or SS mags or guns.

Oh yeah, it's wet enough here, although my old appt was damper than most :(

Shocked to find most of my guns have basic surface rust in some areas, and most of my Beretta92 mags are badly rusted on the outside :( Not sure what to do with those, i can de-rust ok, but it removes the bluing.

An EvaDry is great for the safe, i have one now along with a cheap $8 humidity monitor to make sure i'm getting what i need from it.

I over oil every thing and clean to go shoot.

This is kind of the route I took when cleaning the guns the other day.

Now I have an excuse to take apart and clean all my magazines. :(

Grease or oil the spring/floorplate/follower and if steel, the mag body.

I keep half my mags loaded and the other half in what I jokingly call "Deep storage" or intended as long term storage. In there its greased (some waxed) to hell, doused in oil, two dessecant packs and an air tight plastic can. I do this for most of my AK, 1911, PT92, P89-95 (the blued mags) and a few other spares.

If I do come across mags with rust like I did with the 1911 mags I had left in my pocket after shooting in the rain and forgot about I generally strip them down, degrease, steel/brass brush remove surface rust or in some cased pitting with rust remover, again degrease and then reblue all steel (non stainless) mags.

Its worked out very well thus far.

AK mags, PT92 and 1911 mags.. All have been reblued if found in deplorable condition.
(A lot of good deals to be had on AK mags that just have a tiny bit of rust and weary owners :) )

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top