JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here ever actually done any rust bluing? I found a website detailing it a while ago and I thought it just required a humidity box, boiling water, and oil (no bluing solutions or anything), but for the life of me I can't find it. Can anyone help?

cb

There are several methods of rust bluing, hot and cold. I work on cap and ball revolvers and use a hot rust blue. You immerse the parts in boiling water then coat with the bluing solution, boil again, card, repeat until you get the desired finish. That takes six to ten processes. I can do a typical revolver in about two hours. You spend more time on prep work. Works on long guns you just need a long enough container to submerge the barrel.

Check out Art's Belgian Blue at Midway or Brownells.

Personally I have done a lot of rust bluing over the years, shotguns, revolvers, semi-auto's. It takes a lot of time and patience to get it nice. My advise is to be sure you properly degrease the parts during the entire process or you may have to restart.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top