JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone weigh in on experiences with rust bluing? I am looking at the Mark Lee Express Blue #1, but wondering what others have used, which process or product(s) with this, as well as results.

I have never had good results with rust blueing. But Ive used Brownell's Dicropan and got very nice deep blue/ royal purple hues. Not so great for a more modern firearm finish, but on an older shotgun or rifle... looks really pro. Its easy...

Boil the gun, apply the Dicropan with a cotton swab, let it rust, then use a carding briush and maybe some wool. Reapeat to desired color. (this is very abbreviated process of course). Im no smith and it came out nice, so Im sure you could do it as well.

I hope its OK that I cross post a link ( dont mean to break any forum rules), but try reading this for some info...

rust blueing vs. Dicropan IM - TheFiringLine Forums

I've done some really nice jobs with rust blue. But it is a long, very involved process. Either using a rust bluing cabinet or using a boiling water tank, butane torch, and carding wheel on a baldor arbor. Either way takes a good long while. The last professional rust blue job I did took almost five hours (it was the quick way) and 13 coats of the rust blue chemical...

Brownells sell a product called Belgian blue, it's a form of hot water rust blue.

I did this barrel and cylinder in about one hour.

before

after

short02.jpg

snuubie1101.jpg

gripmod05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show