JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was watching "Age of Tanks" on Netflix - a bit dated and somewhat superficial, at the end they talked about the new Russian T-14. So I looked it up, and as I expected, it is not in production, not even really in testing - it sounds like Russia can't afford to put it into production. Sounds like a kewl tank, if they could work out the bugs and put it into production.

I think at this point, from a military perspective, it is the Chinese that would be most likely present a military threat to the USA, if they wanted to - ignoring the cyber attacks by both Russians and Chinese.
да товарищи да... ;)

From what I have heard, Russia simply can't afford to build or maintain anything modern for their military - their economy won't support it. About the only thing they seem able to afford (that we don't prioritize, to our detriment) is nuclear powered ice breakers.

All of their existing deployed tanks are quite vulnerable to our tanks and aircraft and AFAIK (not being a tank expert), can't accurately fire on the move like our tanks can (and probably other tanks with gyro stabilized aiming systems with smooth suspensions)?
I understand Russia has more than enough nuclear warheads, so what more do they need?

"Politicians and Politics.....will continue to hinder America's response to warfare/warfighting. And, once the initial response is done.......the troops will again be regulated to the roll of Police and Nation Building."

You can bet the PLA isn't concerned with happy trannies or making the "non-binary" feel included.
Terrifying thought: Komrade Harris in charge when the Chicoms take Taiwan.

Meh I have doubts the new Russian offering is better than the M1A2 , it is quite simply the best tank in the world and has been the beneficiary of constant product improvement since being released . There is nothing being made by a near peer which can compete with it's capabilities and our crews which are the best trained tank crews in the world.

I learned first hand that Soviet T72 tanks are easier to kill thank people thought . Action at 73 Easting showed me this, people love to debate the minuate of the battle and how the Iraqis had export versions of the the T72 and the Iraqis weren't trained as well as their US counterparts. Yes those things are true , but the fact is the export version was the same basic tank the soviets fielded , it didn't have the electronics or targeting but the armor was the same and at that time everyone wasn't fielding reactive armor like the NATO forces were . Even with reactive armor the truth is the T72 has a glass jaw and pops it top in a spectaular version when hit , a lot of it has to do with how the Soviets chose to store their ammo and the use of an Auto Loader . US made tanks take crew survivability into mind as a primary consideration .

Would things have been substantially different has we faced Soviet Crews in 1991 ? maybe but probably not significantly the Soviet military largely relied on numbers to miitigate our better equipment and training which is what eastern militaries have always done to balance the scales against better military forces . There are well documented accounts of German tankers having 50:1 kill ratios against US and Soviet armor forces during WWII.

A German general officer captured during the Africa camaign said it best . We killed every American Tank that showed up until we ran out of shells.

From what I understand, most of the Soviet army and moreso now the Russian army, is poorly trained/paid conscripts.
It is indeed the truth , there were lots of accounts of such even during the cold war . I remember being stationed in West Germany and a Russian defector at the time talking about how many Soviet trucks were unusable because the soldiers would steal the brake fluid from them to drink . We (the US ) actually did a lot to hype Soviet capabilities for a whole host of reasons .

M1A2 , it is quite simply the best tank in the world and has been the beneficiary of constant product improvement since being released . There is nothing being made by a near peer which can compete with it's capabilities and our crews which are the best trained tank crews in the world.
Challenger 2 and Leopard 2A4/2A5.

Want to challenge the British on "best trained tank crews" ? ;)

Good thing they're on our side :D

Challenger 2 and Leopard 2A4/2A5.

Want to challenge the British on "best trained tank crews" ? ;)

Good thing they're on our side :D
Ahem. M1 Abrams lost in action - 553 Abrams tanks have been taken out of combat. At least 14 of them destroyed outright by enemy action. 23 M1A1s were destroyed in the Gulf War. This included 7 to friendly fire and 2 destroyed that had previously been disabled (to prevent them falling into enemy hands).

Challengers lost in action - 1 - friendly fire. During the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the Challenger 2 tanks suffered no tank losses to Iraqi fire. In one encounter within an urban area, a Challenger 2 came under attack from irregular forces with machine guns and rocket propelled grenades. The driver's sight was damaged and while attempting to back away under the commander's directions, the other sights were damaged and the tank threw its tracks entering a ditch. It was hit by 14 rocket propelled grenades from close range and a MILAN anti-tank missile.The crew survived, safe within the tank until it was recovered for repairs, the worst damage being to the sighting system. It was back in operation six hours later.

No T-14 has ever been involved in ANY kind of fire-fight, home or abroad.

Next question, please.

Last Edited:
Maybe, just maybe......

America will lose the will to fight.
Long before the Russians run out of tanks (aka: targets)?
But.....isn't that sort of the same strategy with the Chinese? Speaking about their fighting men/women.

Aloha, Mark

Ahem. M1 Abrams lost in action - 553 Abrams tanks have been taken out of combat. At least 14 of them destroyed outright by enemy action. 23 M1A1s were destroyed in the Gulf War. This included 7 to friendly fire and 2 destroyed that had previously been disabled (to prevent them falling into enemy hands).

Challengers lost in action - 1 - friendly fire. During the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the Challenger 2 tanks suffered no tank losses to Iraqi fire. In one encounter within an urban area, a Challenger 2 came under attack from irregular forces with machine guns and rocket propelled grenades. The driver's sight was damaged and while attempting to back away under the commander's directions, the other sights were damaged and the tank threw its tracks entering a ditch. It was hit by 14 rocket propelled grenades from close range and a MILAN anti-tank missile.The crew survived, safe within the tank until it was recovered for repairs, the worst damage being to the sighting system. It was back in operation six hours later.

No T-14 has ever been involved in ANY kind of fire-fight, home or abroad.

Next question, please.
I think we have many more M1s than you guys have Challenger 2s.... although.... how many of those M1A2s were lost due to crap like IEDs disabling the running gear and engines?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top