JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Shoigu publicly presented a series of proposed Russian defense policy changes to significantly increase the size of the Russian military. Shoigu proposed that Russia reestablish the Moscow and Leningrad military districts, form a new army corps, and form 17 new maneuver divisions.[4] Shoigu suggested that Russia form a new army corps in Karelia, two new airborne assault divisions, three new motorized rifle divisions in occupied Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts, and expand seven existing brigades of the Northern Fleet and Western, Central, and Eastern Military districts into seven new motorized rifle divisions while expanding five existing naval infantry brigades into five naval infantry divisions. Shoigu also proposed that Russia form five artillery divisions to support military districts.[5] He proposed increasing the strength of the Russian Armed Forces to 1.5 million servicemen, including 695,000 contract servicemen (Shoigu said in spring 2021 that 380,000 Russians were contract servicemen), gradually increasing the age of conscription for military service from 18 to 21 years and raising the age limit for conscripts from 27 to 30 years. Shoigu did not specify a timeline for these measures."

"The Kremlin is very unlikely to form such a large conventional force in a timeline that is relevant for Russia's war in Ukraine, however. Forming divisions is costly and takes time. It took the Russian military over a year to reform the 150th Motorized Rifle Division (8th Combined Arms Army) between 2016 and 2017, for example.[7] Russia was unable to fully staff its existing brigades and regiments before the full-scale invasion and had not fully built out a new division it announced it was forming in 2020 before the start of the 2022 invasion of Ukraine.[8] Russia's economy is in recession, and its resources to generate divisions have significantly decreased since Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine.[9] Russia's net training capacity has likely decreased since February 24, in part because the Kremlin deployed training elements to participate in combat in Ukraine and these training elements reportedly took causalities.[10] Russia is reportedly leveraging Belarusian trainers to train mobilized forces and possibly contract soldiers and conscripts, indicating the limitations of Russian training bandwidth.[11] Russia's officer corps has been eviscerated by casualties in this war."

The Russian army is made up if constripts. Even with all of the Kremlins propraganda the Russian people know what is going on and so not support it. The constripts do not want to be sent to Ukraine and really aren't motivated to kill Ukrainians. My girlfriend grew up on Russia, has a large family in Russian and has many friends that grew up on the Eastern block nations. Nobody likes Putin!

The height of the Soviet power was at the end of world war ii. In Russia that was "the Great Patriotic war". The population was willing to go to war and give their lives to defend their homeland. The Ukrainian conflict is 100% different. When you don't have your people behind you it is very hard to be successful at war. Putin's time is coming to an end. When you are the only one in the country that supports your military taking over another country your long term outlook isn't very good.

The Russian army is made up if constripts. Even with all of the Kremlins propraganda the Russian people know what is going on and so not support it. The constripts do not want to be sent to Ukraine and really aren't motivated to kill Ukrainians. My girlfriend grew up on Russia, has a large family in Russian and has many friends that grew up on the Eastern block nations. Nobody likes Putin!

The height of the Soviet power was at the end of world war ii. In Russia that was "the Great Patriotic war". The population was willing to go to war and give their lives to defend their homeland. The Ukrainian conflict is 100% different. When you don't have your people behind you it is very hard to be successful at war. Putin's time is coming to an end. When you are the only one in the country that supports your military taking over another country your long term outlook isn't very good.
My girlfriend grew up in Peoria yet here we are.

I don't see this as something they are doing because of Ukraine. I see it as gearing up for something MUCH bigger.
More like gearing down.

The Russian Army has been virtually annihilated since February, it has been that hard on them. They are rebuilding with conscripts literally abducted off the streets and sent straight to the front w/o equipment. Ukrainian positions literally hav fields full of dead Russian bodies in front of them; it's like a WWI nightmare all over again. Next year will see them pushed out of Crimea and the occupied territories. Right now, Poland could drive on Moscow and be there by Spring. The world is simply not what it used to be, or what it even appeared as two years ago.

Most younger Russians are not wound up over the Russia-fied oblasts in Ukraine. It is the older, "Great Patriotic War" believers that support rebuilding the glories of the USSR/Russian Empire.

Set one foot in Russia proper and everything changes.

The conflict must be contained within the established boundaries of Ukraine, with perhaps continuing strikes on support/supply points in Russia near the border. Even those are iffy, but so far have not struck a nerve with the Russian public. They sure have pushed Putin's buttons!

My wife grew up in The Soviet Union later Russia and holds Russian and US passports. Been here 25 years and the only thing Russian about her is her name and her accent. Otherwise shes American as apple pie. She lividly hates Putin but her family in Russia? They love the guy. Like absolutely love the guy. There really is the feeling in Russia that the west, especially America, is out to destroy Russia ( Are they wrong? Really? ) . Putin is just the embodiment of that feeling. Yeah, they young people dont like it but when do young people anywhere like anything? Ukraine was cozying up too close to the west for Russian comfort. Now the Russians have themselves in a pickle with a war they really can't win given all the firepower thats been handed to Ukraine but being Russian they can't let themselves lose either. It will just grind them down.

Hottest-World-Cup-2018-fans-Russia-3.jpg

Last Edited:
She lividly hates Putin but her family in Russia? They love the guy. Like absolutely love the guy. There really is the feeling in Russia that the west, especially America, is out to destroy Russia ( Are they wrong? Really? ) . Putin is just the embodiment of that feeling.
I hear the same sentiment from my girl friend, the invasion of Ukraine is largely due to the USA's foreign policy regarding Russia. Putin being in power is also felt to be a reaction to our foreign policy and lack of support of Gorbachev when he was democratizing the Soviet Union.

A relic of the Soviet era is subjects like Putin is rarely discussed over the phone and when his name is mentioned they absolutely love him. When my gf visits her grandmother in Russia the feeling about Putin is the exact opposite and Putin is not a subject they will openly discuss in public.

She and her immediate family do believe that Russia is doing much better under Putin than Gorbachev or Yeltsin.. There were some very bleak times after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Last Edited:
Russia had never, and likely will never, been able to supply an army in the field without significant support from other countries. They're a paper tiger. The greatest peril in invading Russia is the cold.

I hear the same sentiment from my girl friend, the invasion of Ukraine is largely due to the USA's foreign policy regarding Russia. Putin being in power is also felt to be a reaction to our foreign policy and lack of support of Gorbachev when he was democratizing the Soviet Union.

A relic of the Soviet era is subjects like Putin is rarely discussed over the phone and when his name is mentioned they absolutely love him. When my gf visits her grandmother in Russia the feeling about Putin is the exact opposite and Putin is not a subject they will openly discuss in public.

She and her immediate family does believe that Russia is doing much better under Putin than Gorbachev or Yeltsin.. There were some very bleak times after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Well, I know the last time the old lady went to Russia , around 5-6 years ago, she practically had family members yelling at her about how "You Americans" do this and that blah blah blah. She felt unsafe around her own family.
I spent around 9 months in St Petersburg in the late 90's when it really resembled Chicago of the 1930's. Gangland shootings, extortion, bombings stuff like that. One of my wifes duties at work was laundering money so they didn't pay taxes and paying off the "fire department" you know, so the business didn't burn down. It was pretty bad but what an interesting time to be there,. The mafia ran the city. The country was in a total state of collapse under Yeltsin. Putin cleaned all that up. Even if they dont love the guy they still vote for him ( and they do ) more from a fear of returning to the economic collapse of the 90's than anything else. Imagine everything you worked for your entire life evaporating . Money became worthless. There is no viable "opposition" party in Russia. Thats not how they roll. Putin will be there as long as he wants to be there or he pisses off the people who actually own the country and he gets Kruscheved out to his Dacha. .

I will say make no mistake about it. Most Russians would have been happy if Soviet Communism had continued and the Soviet Union had stayed intact. Gorbachev is reviled.

Last Edited:
Well, I know the last time the old lady went to Russia , around 5-6 years ago, she practically had family members yelling at her about how "You Americans" do this and that blah blah blah. She felt unsafe around her own family.
I spent around 9 months in St Petersburg in the late 90's when it really resembled Chicago of the 1930's. Gangland shootings, extortion, bombings stuff like that. One of my wifes duties at work was laundering money so they didn't pay taxes and paying off the "fire department" you know, so the business didn't burn down.
My gf's brother in Russian runs a "legal" firm which "negotiates" unpaid tax liabilities with the "authorities" to eliminate the tax dept (amongst his many other ventures)... I.e. it hasn't changed that much since then.
It was pretty bad but what an interesting time to be there,. The mafia ran the city. The country was in a total state of collapse under Yeltsin. Putin cleaned all that up.
That is the feed back I get from my gf too.
Even if they dont love the guy they still vote for him ( and they do ) more from a fear of returning to the economic collapse of the 90's than anything else. Imagine everything you worked for your entire life evaporating . Money became worthless. There is no viable "opposition" party in Russia. Thats not how they roll. Putin will be there as long as he wants to be there or he pisses off the people who actually own the country and he gets Kruscheved out to his Dacha. .

I will say make no mistake about it. Most Russians would have been happy if Soviet Communism had continued and the Soviet Union had stayed intact. Gorbachev is reviled.
My gf's grandfather was a general and they had a pretty sweet life under the Soviet state. Talking to her much less well off friends that grew up under the same system, especially from non-Russian eastern block countries they have a MUCH different opinion of the Soviet system. I got the impression that being a Russian Soviet had many advantages that were not available in other eastern block countries.

I find it interesting that a huge percentage if her family would love to move to the US. Her brothers wife REALLY would love to get there kids out of Russia! But her brother doesn't have any skills that are "marketable" in the US.

The other thing that I learned from my gf over that past 14 years is Russians are more like Americans than I was raised to believe. They are people. People of varying cultures, varying backgrounds, varying beliefs, and varying goals.

I have met many Russian / Eastern block women who's primary goal is to marry a rich man and be taken care of. Others women really enjoy the opertunity to be their own person, have their own job and have their own money.

My gf's brother in Russian runs a "legal" firm which "negotiates" unpaid tax liabilities with the "authorities" to eliminate the tax dept (amongst his many other ventures)... I.e. it hasn't changed that much since then.

That is the feed back I get from my gf too.

My gf's grandfather was a general and they had a pretty sweet life under the Soviet state. Talking to her much less well off friends that grew up under the same system, especially from non-Russian eastern block countries they have a MUCH different opinion of the Soviet system. I got the impression that being a Russian Soviet had many advantages that were not available in other eastern block countries.

I find it interesting that a huge percentage if her family would love to move to the US. Her brothers wife REALLY would love to get there kids out of Russia! But her brother doesn't have any skills that are "marketable" in the US.

The other thing that I learned from my gf over that past 14 years is Russians are more like Americans than I was raised to believe. They are people. People of varying cultures, varying backgrounds, varying beliefs, and varying goals.

I have met many Russian / Eastern block women who's primary goal is to marry a rich man and be taken care of. Others women really enjoy the opertunity to be their own person, have their own job and have their own money.
I don't think you could pay any of my wifes family to move here. Took me months to convince her to move here and abandon her family and everything she'd ever known . One of her sisters is a Port authority customs inspector. All ships coming into St Petersburg have to dispose of all their galley provisions when they dock. Customs inspectors load up. The fat envelopes help. Probably not much different here.

And yeah, Theyre a lot like us.

Last Edited:
Newsweek is notnewsbutweak billdeserthills. They have a history of putting the thumb on the scale and thus we get often lies from them. Usually lies of omission although they do the "An anonymous source reports" lies/baloney as well. They finally are starting to report on the reality of the battlefield when Russian's win. Of course, they intersperse that with "Putin is a dictator" type nonsense and lots of "Ukraine is amazing (suggesting that they are winning) as well. The recent "Putin goes full Bond villain" and "Humiliated" Putin had to beg for weapons: UK official" for examples of the former. Your story, as an example, makes it appear that the Russians are inteionally killing civis. However, the story, once you dig in, indicates equipment failure was the cause. Then they over look 20 more important and truthful story's which do not subscribe to their world view. Being the false story "Ukraine good, Putin bad". Black/White.

A better source for war reporting that seems to have both sides and shades of grey, IMO, is https://warnews247-gr.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp
A Greek site, they are more balanced on the Ukraine war reporting.

https://rmx.news/Remix has fairly balanced news, but it's sparse on the war. One of the problems is getting accurate news out of Ukraine since the dictator Zelensky had any honest dissident who spoke the truth (lawmakers and journalists alike) who didn't toe the party line get fired, killed, run out of the country or jailed. Reporting the truth makes you a "collaborator". Such was the fate of Gonzolo Lira and many honest elected officials who spoke the truth. https://thegrayzone.com/2022/04/17/...ation-kidnapping-arrest-political-opposition/

Gonzolo Lira: https://www.europereloaded.com/musk...journalist-after-tucker-carlson-sounds-alarm/

If anyone has any good links to sites that are unbiased and accurate, please share them. Please note this issue is being discussed here, and is 274 pages in so far. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/russia-attacks-ukraine-ww3-imminent.404063/

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads