JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Hoping an electrician can pipe in for a little Q&A.

So I purchased a hot tub and I am looking to wire the guy up.

I know how to do everything, however being from NV running wire is a little different than in the wet PNW.

I was just going to run the wire under the house in the crawlspace as I have in the past in NV.

Then when I went to do this I noticed that all of my lines for just about everything go up. Into the attic above my garage then feed into the house on the second floor and into a wall to be distributed.

So I am stuck trying to decide how to run the wire.

Looking for some input.

Should I just pop it out from the in wall into a box then run conduit inside the garage then to the crawlspace as I was going to to get the the backyard?

Pop it out to the outer wall and run conduit along the house to the backyard?

Pop it out to the out wall, dig trench, run it under ground along fondation to back yard, back up into box, then conduit to GFCI box on wall?

Is running wire in crawlspace in the PNW a no no?

How would you run it?

Mine was installed by an electrician and passed inspection. all of my wiring also runs over the top of the house but the wiring for the hot tub that I had installed a few years later runs through the crawl space and out one of the foundation vents, it is connected to a box on the outside wall using a flexible conduit that is coated with rubber. The same type of conduit then runs along the house and under the deck to the hot tub. the distance from the box to the hot tub is prob. 8'-10'. The wiring for my air conditioning unit is ran the same way and was installed and inspected at the same time. don't know if this was any help to you but it seems to be ok here in Central Oregon.

Running cable NMB (romex) in crawl space is fine. For 60 amps a NMB cable with
3-#6cu conductors plus #10cu gnd. 4-conductors.
Staple it up to the floor joists. Do not damage the cable when hammering
in the staples. NEC 680-42 (C)
GFCI disconnect readily accessible and not less than 5 feet away. NEC 680-41
I am licensed in the State of OR as a 'General Supervisor' Electrician 37 years.:rolleyes:
Sign In PM me with any questions.

Last Edited:
Running cable NMB (romex) in crawl space is fine. For 60 amps a NMB cable with
3-#6cu conductors plus #10cu gnd. 4-conductors.
Staple it up to the floor joists. Do not damage the cable when hammering
in the staples. NEC 680-42 (C)
GFCI disconnect readily accessible and not less than 5 feet away. NEC 680-41
I am an a licensed State of OR 'General Supervisor' Electrician 37 years.:rolleyes:
Sign In PM me with any questions.
Good to know thanks.

Is flex conduit suitable for the run from the main breaker to the crawlspace inside the garage?

All your wires will generally go overhead and not in the crawl space because when a house is being built it's easier to run the wires after the stick-framing is in place... plus electricians are DEATHLY afraid of crawl-space spiders.

:D

Not just spiders -

Crawlspaces is scary!! :(

Looks like you've already got your answers, I don't see anything to add save for this - just add to be safe and be sure of what you're doing, especially when you're in the panel.

Electrical is pretty easy when your careful and know the basics.
Just don't cut corners and if you don't know, don't guess.
It's better to oay to have it done than try to buy new stuff and a new house because it burned down.
Or keep frying hot tub motors/hesters because it's not done correctly.

It really is pretty easy. Buy an electrical book from depot and read it.

Electrical is pretty easy when your careful and know the basics.
Just don't cut corners and if you don't know, don't guess.
It's better to oay to have it done than try to buy new stuff and a new house because it burned down.
Or keep frying hot tub motors/hesters because it's not done correctly.

It really is pretty easy. Buy an electrical book from depot and read it.

I'll agree that basic electrical isn't that difficult, but folks need to be very aware of code requirements, especially state code requirements - which may put even more restrictions/requirements on an installation than even the NEC. Also, I caution anyone doing their own electrical work to consider this - in Oregon, while you're allowed to do your own electrical work on a property you own, you're required to have any new work permitted - many don't bother with that step.

Here is the problem with doing your own work - permitted or not - some, probably many, insurance companies will not cover you if your work leads to a fire in your home, or if your work causes someone to be electrocuted. Burn your house down because you do an electrical install yourself, and be prepared for the insurance company to show you the 'fine print' in your policy that excludes them from covering you under such circumstances - or at the very least, will disavow any claim made on an installation that wasn't permitted and inspected. By doing your own work, you may have no one to back you in such an event. If you hire a contractor, the liability falls on them, assuming you are hiring a properly licensed and bonded contractor.

I'm not against folks doing their own work, but be advised, it's not just as simple as reading a book. Knowing the codes and the potential liability, it something you don't want to take lightly. Be aware of these things before you proceed.

Last Edited:
Most hot tubs use a 60 amp ckt. But the hot tub "Nameplate" has the information
you need to detterman branch circuit ampacity (size of the wire). etrain16 is
right you take on liability. Also if you have to move around breakers in your panel
that is best done by an electrician. 120 volt circuits may 'share' neutrals and you
must know what to look for. I don't know what you are doing with the flex you asked
about. NMB cannot be exposed below the panel. PVC or EMT is a better choice.

Personally I would run the wires straight out the side of the house to one of those old clothesline racks. Then go overhead to the hot tub with 4/0 UMB and connect all with Scotchlok and Scotchtape and well heck a bottle of Scotch.

Wet appliance, 220V, bare bodies, booze, and bare ground... what could go wrong? Hey Cuz, hold my beer.

Not just spiders -
Crawlspaces is scary!! :(
You know whats worse than spiders? Fiberglass Insulation. I hate that stuff.

I'm an Oregon licensed electrician. Started as a residential sparky, then moved up to general journeyman license. I wired my own house. The only wire that went under it was the feed from the meter main to the panel in the laundry room in the center of the house. Only time I've been under the house was to pull in a phone line to the kitchen. Seems like I forgot that during the initial installation.

IF I HAD to run a circuit from the panel, it would have to go under the house. I put a conduit in from the panel to the crawlspace, just in case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top