Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Running 100% Vegetable Oil in a diesel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fathalpert, Jul 8, 2015.

1. fathalpert

fathalpert Oregon New Member

I am looking to buy a car and I'm thinking about getting a diesel with a pure waste vegetable oil set up. I know most older cars like pre-70s Mercedes can run straight veggie oil like champ but more newer diesels from the 90's to now require at least some kind of conversion. I am wondering if anyone wants to share their set up or have any tips and recommendations for people getting into veggie oil.

2. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

My recommendation is do not do it, if you had a older diesel that was all mechanical injection you can get away with it for awhile but in the end it still causes problems. A friend does it on his ford f250 and it eats fuel pumps and injectors. Most new diesels do not even like bio diesel so that should tell you something. I know some get away with it for awhile but in the end you would be better off making your own bio fuel.

coyotecaller and rdt like this.
  3. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I had a buddy who did the conversion on a mid 90's Ford F-250 He had to have two tanks. You had to start it on diesel and once it was warmed up switch it over to veggie oil. The mileage and power both suffered quite a bit when it was running on oil and he had a lot of problems with fuel delivery (pumps and filters). After investing lots of dollars and hundreds of hours he stripped all the crap off and went back to buying diesel

coyotecaller likes this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

And where on earth will you find enough "oil" to burn? I work out of a gravel pit a few blocks from Sequential in Salem that makes biodiesel and no one out of the 50 dump trucks working out of there uses the crap. And based on the number of tankers going in and out of the place neither are many others.

My dump truck typically uses between 40 and 70 gallons of fuel a work day. Exactly how many French frys do you think McD's makes in a day LOL. We have 15 trucks just our little company.

Bio Diesel is a joke a feel good toy for the hippy types. Theres no source of the stuff that could ever make any meaningful reduction in true diesel use.

5. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I ride a motorcycle a lot.

Not long ago I was doing the slow-crawl on my bike on I-205, and I was overwhelmed with the most disgusting smell of a deep fat frier that was about two years overdue needing its oil changed. I knew somebody was ahead of me burning this bio diesel. Finally, I caught up to an old Mercedes diesel with a plume of smoke coming from beneath the frame, and a bumper sticker that said "I Love Bio Diesel".

This stuff might be okay for the feel-good types, but I'm glad there's not enough to go around.

WAYNO.

coyotecaller likes this.
  6. rdt

rdt SW Portland Active Member

after being intimate with 4 different setups I think your wallet will thank you for going bio-diesel instead of straight veggie oil (SVO) in about 5 years when you don't have to re-ring/overbite your engine. new cars are fine with bio-d.

SVO has a *very* narrow temperature range where it gets fully burnt. otherwise it bakes into a deposit underneath the rings greatly accelerating wear.

SVO is way more headaches in exchange for a bit of street cred
    with the "technology will save us" crowd. in the long run you will break even even buying pump B99 besides which B20 gets you the majority of the emission reduction without the drop in mileage you get runnig b99. and btw you've got to factor in the marginal emissions per gallon from the production chain of bioD before you brag about how hippie-wonderful your ride is. just sayin

7. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

This topic is a real interest to me. As you've might of guessed, I'm a way hard core right wing.
    But I would of loved to start as a twenty something in this industry.
    Fun stuff.

8. fathalpert

fathalpert Oregon New Member

Did you know anyone that went as far as running waste motor oil? That my next logical step. I am mainly doing this less on environmental conscious, but the fact that I'm cheap and do not want to pay for fuel.

9. kibs45

kibs45 Portland Active Member

Veggie oil is a no go. Bio-diesel even at B-20 levels causes increased wear in the fuel system (yes, even the newest rigs...), think injectors and pumps. If I remember correctly, clean waste oil is ok under 10% mix with Diesel. I am not positive on the last statement, please research it further yourself.

10. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I agree with everyone saying no on the veggie oil.....I did run a 350 with a 7.3 for 10 yrs and had no issues at all with the B 20. I will say I do miss those days of a black cloud..........

11. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

12. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

I get what you are saying Coastrange but it can be done at home with the proper precautions and a brain..... Veggie oil will only cause problems from day one. I recommend just buying quality diesel.

CoastRange57 likes this.
  13. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yeah, it is the with a brain part where a lot of people lose it, and the residential garage thing was brilliant too. I put some bio diesel in my Cummins big cam 400 in my Freightliner in 2008 in Portland and changed the fuel filters twice between there and Redding. Never after that.

Tbucket likes this.
  14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Our motorhome has an ISX 650 hp engine in it. There is NO way I'd ever use even bio diesel in it. Already had $33,000 in engine repairs is 2,600 miles due to a broken valve and that was on real diesel.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    NRA Recruiter
    Defender of Freedom Award
    Washington Arms Collector Member
    Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"