JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In theory its 100% legal as the alleys are public right of ways
What about the sidewalks and pedestrian paths? Aren't those restricted from motor vehicle use? Just saying.

As for the psycho brandishing his pistol at the riders, that is a very serious crime and someone should definitely report him lest he become more emboldened to commit violence against some poor soul.

well, make sure you don't go down this guys alley.

View attachment 859069
3-1.jpg

These shoes??

Definitely stay off his lawn.

And if you're in the post office when he's trying to park his silver Camry...
Duck and cover!

the community you represent.
This is something all gun owners and shooters should keep in mind, always. You are a public relations representative for gun ownership. You are the face of gun ownership. If you put on an ugly face, it's bad for all of your fellows.
What's the point of disturbing people?
Some people just get their kicks out of it. Some motorcycle riders, some adult bicycle riders, they like to get in your face because they can and know it annoys you.
Waving guns around and point them at people seems like a first-class way to get shot,
Absolutely true.
They like to stir up trouble and have a serious case of group think that can turn ugly in a heart beat.
Group mentality emboldens. Like the mobs in DC last January.
Some people are actually put into physical pain from all the "brrrrappping" and other loud noises because (for instance) they have severe tinnitus like I do.... you can only push a dude so far for so long when there's no other recourse....

Just keep something in mind; when you're out with your buddies doing something "cool", generally speaking the only ones who are impressed is yourselves... seriously, nobody else gives a schit.
All true.

So I took part in a motorcycle event that weaves through Portlands alleys. Some people may have heard of it.
In theory its 100% legal as the alleys are public right of ways. Just the usual legalities apply, speed limits, sort signs, registered vehicles etc. But that is on the individual.

I can get that the hum drum of motorcycles going through the alley is potentially a pain in the butt (bare in mind that 90% of people were out there with the kids waving and having a great time as it's a pretty entertaining spectacle)

But In one alley, a man came out from his house onto public property and pointed a handgun at riders heads as they went past. Handgun raised and pointed in one hand, rifle (maybe a .308 or 30-30) in the other. He positioned himself so people had to go around/near him, some riders being only a few feet away, most going about 5-10mph because there was some congestion. Basically sitting ducks. We were quite obviously motorcycle enthusiasts, quite obviously not menacing nor threatening. There was no political slant at all, we could not have been mistaken for Vegan ISIS or anyone out to cause trouble/damage.

I'm 100% for your/my right to keep arms, I have multiple handguns and rifles. However, this guy is seriously problematic. If some motorcycles riding through an alley that happens to be behind your property is enough for you to snap and go out and threaten dozens of people at point blank then I personally don't think you are fit to keep weapons.

What are your thoughts? I feel like no ones really snitched on him, we all just wanted to get on our way and leave him in the rearview but I do worry about people having future entanglements with this gentleman.
Well, my first thought was "What is Michael Strickland doing back in Portland?".

So I took part in a motorcycle event that weaves through Portlands alleys. Some people may have heard of it.
In theory its 100% legal as the alleys are public right of ways. Just the usual legalities apply, speed limits, sort signs, registered vehicles etc. But that is on the individual.

I can get that the hum drum of motorcycles going through the alley is potentially a pain in the butt (bare in mind that 90% of people were out there with the kids waving and having a great time as it's a pretty entertaining spectacle)

But In one alley, a man came out from his house onto public property and pointed a handgun at riders heads as they went past. Handgun raised and pointed in one hand, rifle (maybe a .308 or 30-30) in the other. He positioned himself so people had to go around/near him, some riders being only a few feet away, most going about 5-10mph because there was some congestion. Basically sitting ducks. We were quite obviously motorcycle enthusiasts, quite obviously not menacing nor threatening. There was no political slant at all, we could not have been mistaken for Vegan ISIS or anyone out to cause trouble/damage.

I'm 100% for your/my right to keep arms, I have multiple handguns and rifles. However, this guy is seriously problematic. If some motorcycles riding through an alley that happens to be behind your property is enough for you to snap and go out and threaten dozens of people at point blank then I personally don't think you are fit to keep weapons.

What are your thoughts? I feel like no ones really snitched on him, we all just wanted to get on our way and leave him in the rearview but I do worry about people having future entanglements with this gentleman.
he lives in portalnd what do you expect.... his town has been burning and rioting for months by the scum of the earth...of course hes on edge

Just out of curiosity if I was in my backyard when your group came through how long would it take for the whole group to pass? In other words how long would the noise and ruckus last?

That vid starts out with riding on sidewalks then bicycle paved bike paths, then off the path roosting in the grass, what part of an alley is that ??
just askin'

Gun brandishing...take a pic and send it to the authorities.
That would probably get you arrested though, if you are doing what's in that vid.
jmo,

Unfortunately humbleness and consideration of others are things that seem to not exist in our "Me" centered society today.

You say "dont put people in a position where you could kill them for making loud braaap noises." Perhaps one should not be putting oneself in a position to be targeted, keep your "braaap noises" to a suitable and appropriate environment, not behind someones domicile...

Perhaps he has had other bad experiences with others undertaking this activity... Not condoning what the homeowner/gunowner did, but the rules of nature cannot be changed, for every action there is an equal and negative reaction.

Better decisions have a tendency to lead to longer, happier live's. Six decades and counting of being successful at interfacing with my fellow mankind.
We used to live in a little waterfront town in CA in the Bay Area. The street we lived on ended at a boat launching ramp, and the last couple of blocks were lined with restaurants and bars. Every Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday we were inundated with motorcycle groups, a farmers market in the nearby greenbelt area with all its congested traffic, boat launching people, street parties, outdoor dining at the bars and restaurants, in other words, a constant loud party.

The cherry on top of this crap sundae was the Saturday morning after a week of 12 hours days at work when I was awakened at 6 am to the sound of a marching band under my bedroom window playing the Colonel Bogey march. They were warming up for the annual Founders Day parade that takes place on that particular Saturday morning every year, and they picked our parking area to stage their people.

I threw on some sweats and went down to consult with the band leader. Her response to my expletive laced query about her actions went like this: "But it's only once a year!"

Yes, it's only once a year...for her. Looking through my end of the telescope SOMETHING noisy was happening at all hours of the day EVERY day. The 47 Harleys that blasted out of one of the bars at 10 am is a club that only goes on a ride once a month. The car alarm that goes off every 5 minutes at 3 am that night hasn't ever been a problem for its owner in the past. The guy yelling at his wife and honking his horn to get her attention at noon on the boat ramp only launches his boat a few times a year. The parade kicking off in my parking lot at 11 am is only once a year. But all of these things happen to ME on the same day, and it's a collection of such things EVERY day. It gets really old, really quickly.

And yes, as soon as we could we moved a couple miles up the hill, where we had a great view and some peace and quiet.

I don't condone the gun waver's actions, but I can understand his frustration. Maybe people who ride motorcycles in groups, and others involved in disruptive activities need to stop and think about the consequences of their actions for people who have no choice but to be spectators/participants.

Some of you guys really are trying your hardest to exonerate this guy huh.
I'm sure there's a few bad apples in any crowd but I can assure you that the majority of guys riding today weren't there to make anyone mad.

After watching the video posted by Dirty Cary, I have no sympathy for you. IMO what you and everyone else did on your ride was an immature dick move.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top