JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Screenshot_20220114-224507_Samsung_Inter-2240815.jpg

Unless they figured how to fit it with a 30 round magazine, I'll pass
I guess it depends on what mag they use. If they reuse the Five Seven mag, then you can get the CMMG 30 rd extension. Personally, I think the 20rd mag is probably fine.

It appears to be a striker fired pistol, so I am not particularly interested in it as I have 3 Five Sevens now.

OTOH, if it increases interest in 5.7x28 and in turn increases the supply and diversity of 5.7 ammo, then that is a good thing.

5.7 ROCK FAST FACTS

• Caliber: 5.7x28mm
  • MSRP: $549 Optics Ready, $499 standard
  • Release Date: Less than 60 days
  • Capacity: 23-round 5.7 magazine
  • Other Features:
    • Optics ready version comes with a threaded barrel

Is the cartridge easy to reload? I've heard that factory ammo uses some coating or something that makes it pretty "fun". I'd be in for one of these guns if the reloading side wasn't a chore from the sounds of it. How much is factory ammo? My most recent handgun purchase costs $3 per round.

Is the cartridge easy to reload?
No - it is sensitive to minor variations of powder charge. At least with regards to a charge that will cycle a semi-auto

I've heard that factory ammo uses some coating or something that makes it pretty "fun".
It does.
I'd be in for one of these guns if the reloading side wasn't a chore from the sounds of it. How much is factory ammo? My most recent handgun purchase costs $3 per round.
I paid 30-40 CPR for the 7K rounds I have, Right now ball ammo is about 90 CPR.

I really want to like this, though the cost of ammo and difficulty reloading makes it a darn hard sell. And a lack of the "good" ammo

I want something I feel comfortable reloading. Unfortunately I do not think that is ever going to happen with this caliber. YES you can reload it BUT YOU better know what you are doing. That laquer on the cases make it so you can't even pickup range brass as it wears off in the weather. OH well.
https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3297
View attachment 1114099
Yes, I have thousands of once fired cases (almost all of it acquired in a gun purchase). I gave a few hundred away to a NWFA member who wanted to try to reload it.

I am waiting for a bolt action or something like that, where I can try to use Trail Boss and maybe some other loads, but not going to try to reload for any semi-autos in this caliber. Being a hoarder it doesn't bother me to have that brass sitting unused.

I have noticed that the vids of velocity testing of third party commercial specialty reloaders (maybe they are using even new brass?) have a lot of velocity variation, leading me to believe there must be significant pressure differences.

The Ruger was successful? I see them sitting on shelves most of the time.
I would bet that has something to do with ammo scarcity and pricing. Seriously, would you buy a gun if there was no ammo available for it?
The only folks buying 5.7x28 guns these days already have ammo.

I would bet that has something to do with ammo scarcity and pricing. Seriously, would you buy a gun if there was no ammo available for it?
And/or people holding onto $ instead of spending it.

The only folks buying 5.7x28 guns these days already have ammo.
Right now, the wise ones only buy any guns, chambered for ammo they have or can get (and can afford), and 5.7x28 ammo right now is 3X the cost it was pre-pandemic, IF you can find it (the only 5.7 ammo I have seen reliably available is AE FMJ). I have 7K rounds of 5.7x28, so I am not buying any more ammo until the price returns to near "normal" (at least half what it is now).

Also, I would rather have a FN Five Seven than a Ruger - the latter is ok, but is more of a range toy than the FN. Since I have three Five Sevens, I don't need another 5.7 pistol at this point.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top