JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It makes much more sense to extend the deadline or postpone the requirement for a permit until it's put in place.

The lack of instructions and information from SOS and OSP is mind boggling.
Makes sense? Yep, that would make sense. When do the people that suck the working publics money show they make sense?

I would take a bet that the deadline will be extended. The backlash and legal battles that would ensue if there was a total pause on purchases/transfers is just too great a liability for the legislator/state attorney/etc.

But time will tell… 🍿
The state will not voluntarily extend the deadline. The majority of legislators/state attorney/etc firmly believe they hold the moral high ground, and that strict adherence to M114 provisions & timeline will not "injure" anyone one except unworthy deplorables (who they firmly believe are of no consequence whatsoever).

They'll justify their position by declaring "it's for the children" and all worthwhile if it saves just one life. They will use your taxpayer money to fight any legal challenges all the way to the USSC, and fully expect to eventually be vindicated by the courts. Basically, no skin off their noses, full speed ahead.

In the meantime, when crime rates fail to fall, their so-called 'gun violence' only worsens, and the courts rule against them time after time, it will not be their fault. Oh no; instead, we will be hearing that "the law was just too weak or didn't go far enough", the firearms/hi-cap magazines "must certainly be coming from adjacent, unenlightened states with fewer restrictions", and the courts (packed with MAGA conservatives) are consistently "getting it wrong".

The state will not voluntarily extend the deadline. The majority of legislators/state attorney/etc firmly believe they hold the moral high ground, and that strict adherence to M114 provisions & timeline will not "injure" anyone one except unworthy deplorables (who they firmly believe are of no consequence whatsoever).

They'll justify their position by declaring "it's for the children" and all worthwhile if it saves just one life. They will use your taxpayer money to fight any legal challenges all the way to the USSC, and fully expect to eventually be vindicated by the courts. Basically, no skin off their noses, full speed ahead.

In the meantime, when crime rates fail to fall, their so-called 'gun violence' only worsens, and the courts rule against them time after time, it will not be their fault. Oh no; instead, we will be hearing that "the law was just too weak or didn't go far enough", the firearms/hi-cap magazines "must certainly be coming from adjacent, unenlightened states with fewer restrictions", and the courts (packed with MAGA conservatives) are consistently "getting it wrong".
You certainly may be right. Only time will tell. Gentlemen's bet?

Cancel the sale and go elsewhere...

Was at the range yesterday morning. It was dead. The only other souls there were the RO and another shooter.

Got talking around the wood burning stove about 114.

One said that their FFL is under the impression that if you don't have it by the 7th, that's it. Being in the queue won't matter and, supposedly OSP will be resetting the system back to 0.

If that's the truth, I'm getting some popcorn.
According to OFF:

"Please keep in mind, the Oregon State Police can delay you forever but as long as you are not DENIED, you may take possession of the firearm you are trying to purchase after "three business days have transpired." That's how the Feds put it. In other words, if you start the background check process on Monday, then Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday must "transpire" and you may have the gun on Friday. The State language can be found in ORS 166.412 and it reads as follows:

(c) If the department fails to provide a unique approval number to a gun dealer or to notify the gun dealer that the purchaser is disqualified under paragraph (a) of this subsection before the close of the gun dealer's next business day following the request by the dealer for a criminal history record check, the dealer may deliver the handgun to the purchaser.

Although this statute references "handgun" a later statute makes it clear that this applies to all guns.

Many gun dealers have been lied to for so long that they believe if they proceed with a transfer under these circumstances, they are somehow "liable." Maybe because for years they have been told this by folks at the OSP ID unit who kind of like to make stuff up.

If your dealer will not complete a transfer. Find another dealer."

Cancel the sale and go elsewhere...

According to OFF:

"Please keep in mind, the Oregon State Police can delay you forever but as long as you are not DENIED, you may take possession of the firearm you are trying to purchase after "three business days have transpired." That's how the Feds put it. In other words, if you start the background check process on Monday, then Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday must "transpire" and you may have the gun on Friday. The State language can be found in ORS 166.412 and it reads as follows:

(c) If the department fails to provide a unique approval number to a gun dealer or to notify the gun dealer that the purchaser is disqualified under paragraph (a) of this subsection before the close of the gun dealer's next business day following the request by the dealer for a criminal history record check, the dealer may deliver the handgun to the purchaser.

Although this statute references "handgun" a later statute makes it clear that this applies to all guns.

Many gun dealers have been lied to for so long that they believe if they proceed with a transfer under these circumstances, they are somehow "liable." Maybe because for years they have been told this by folks at the OSP ID unit who kind of like to make stuff up.

If your dealer will not complete a transfer. Find another dealer."
I think those that are truly in need/want are going to scramble to do just this.

Crazy part is you might be correct.

Last Edited:
I heard it from my cousin who heard it from his sister who heard it from her best friend's third ex husband who heard it from....

Was at the range yesterday morning. It was dead. The only other souls there were the RO and another shooter.

Got talking around the wood burning stove about 114.

One said that their FFL is under the impression that if you don't have it by the 7th, that's it. Being in the queue won't matter and, supposedly OSP will be resetting the system back to 0.

If that's the truth, I'm getting some popcorn.
When I read through the actual text of the measure I can find absolutely no reference to this situation at all. Which means it will be at the discretion of the committee set up to implement the law. I doubt the committee even knows yet so it is highly doubtful that the FFL has a clue either.

Maybe you can find some mention of this situation in the measure that passed... I can't: https://sos.oregon.gov/admin/Documents/irr/2022/017text.pdf

How can the judiciary, in this case OSP, take action if it's waiting for instruction on how to proceed from the legislative branch, when congress is not scheduled to convene until February 2023?

If they want to hold everyone up and give no reason or guidance then file a lawsuit for every thing you can that obtains to 114 keep the a holes scrambling time for a fires sale every thing must go lol

How can the judiciary, in this case OSP, take action if it's waiting for instruction on how to proceed from the legislative branch, when congress is not scheduled to convene until February 2023?
Lol exactly!

Interesting info. I talked to OSP and they told me cutoff date is the 8th. Everyone in the system will be processed. New purchase from the 9th on will be under the new system that is still being developed.

Interesting info. I talked to OSP and they told me cutoff date is the 8th. Everyone in the system will be processed. New purchase from the 9th on will be under the new system that is still being developed.
So in other words, buy 'em while you can?

Sounds like OSP treating "purchase" as the "transfer? Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top