JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was at the range yesterday morning. It was dead. The only other souls there were the RO and another shooter.

Got talking around the wood burning stove about 114.

One said that their FFL is under the impression that if you don't have it by the 7th, that's it. Being in the queue won't matter and, supposedly OSP will be resetting the system back to 0.

If that's the truth, I'm getting some popcorn.

This is how rumors start....
Many here are out buying and such. I'm not, so hopefully there are folks here with ears in the ground that can debunk this quickly or verify if they are hearing similar.

The person who said that technically isn't wrong. I think most of us agree that "on paper", since 114 supposedly goes into effect December 8, then no transfers on or after that date can occur without showing the FFL a "double secret extra special permit".

Which will be unobtainable for months if not longer.

So fingers crossed for the Oregon legislature to do something, or more likely, a court to issue a preliminary injunction stopping the whole thing until the different provisions are ruled on.

I don't know about resetting the system to zero. I do know a transfer takes place when possession changes hands. Therefore, if the implementation date is the 8th, no transfers will occur without a permit on or after because of the new law. How OSP handles that is unknown and just speculation. Definitely a popcorn moment.

BTW, if you have not stocked up on popcorn, you better real quick. There going to be a run on it over the next couple weeks for this event.

I've actually been hearing the exact opposite. That they are going to extend the deadline due to the fact there is no system set in place and they know they are going to take it in the shorts via the courts over denying Oregonians their 2nd amendment rights with no possible way to exercise it.

But who knows….

issue a preliminary injunction stopping the whole thing until the different provisions are ruled on.
This is the part that concerns me. The potential for 'different' provisions', small changes, modifications but all still part of the 'master plan' but with the courts possibly agreeing with the changes and not pursuing anything further.

This is the part that concerns me. The potential for 'different' provisions', small changes, modifications but all still part of the 'master plan' but with the courts possibly agreeing with the changes and not pursuing anything further.
You know that old principle from psychology class: that the more people there are in or around a situation, the more likely they will all think "someone else" will take action. Then it ends up no one takes action because everyone assumed someone else would do it.

I would take a bet that the deadline will be extended. The backlash and legal battles that would ensue if there was a total pause on purchases/transfers is just too great a liability for the legislator/state attorney/etc.

But time will tell… 🍿

It's no rumour. It's confirmed by numerous officials and LE. Here's one below (see bolded):
Displayed in
Sheriff's Office
I am aware that there are questions surrounding Measure 114, many of which remain unanswered; however, I would like to share what I know. According to the Oregon Secretary of State, Measure 114 will go into effect at 12:00 AM on December 8, 2022.
On that date, firearm sales by dealers, at gun shows, and private transfers (other than close relative transfers) will stop in Oregon. Gun dealers cannot transfer a firearm after December 8 without the purchaser's valid permit-to-purchase, as defined in section 3 of the measure. If you purchase a firearm before December 8, it must be in your possession before the measure takes effect. The purchase is not finalized if the firearm is not in your possession.

Currently, no procedure exists to issue these permits, but the Oregon State Police, the Oregon State Sheriffs' Association, and the Oregon Chiefs of Police are working to create a system. The measure then requires every Sheriff's Office and local police department to enact a system to issue these permits. Creating and implementing such a system will significantly impact our office's workload, not sustained by permit fees, and will require me to divert staff from other public safety duties.
There has been some discussion about judicial challenges to the measure. Our Constitution created three separate branches of government: the legislative, judicial, and executive branches. The Sheriff represents the executive branch of local government. As Sheriff, there is no question that I am bound to uphold the law. It is not, however, the role of the executive branch to interpret the law. The drafters of our Constitution made it clear that interpreting the law is the judicial branch's role. I cannot substitute my opinion of what the law is or should be for that of the judicial branch. Doing so would violate the Constitution's basic principle of separation of power.
However, as Sheriff, I am afforded some discretion when executing the law. Notably and by necessity, law enforcement officers exercise discretion every day when enforcing the law. I am mindful of the fiscal challenges of the Sheriff's Office, and we will continue to exercise appropriate discretion considering limited resources to address increasing public calls for service.
Because the measure effectively stops all gun sales in Oregon, I expect a court challenge occurs before the measure takes effect. At a minimum, I would not be surprised if a federal judge temporarily stayed the measure until a permit process is created or it is determined if the measure violates the Second Amendment. There is a serious question of whether a citizen's inability to purchase a firearm goes directly against the "core" Second Amendment right. The Oregon State Sheriff's Association supports a court challenge to clarify Constitutional questions raised by this measure.
-Sheriff Pat Garrett

It makes much more sense to extend the deadline or postpone the requirement for a permit until it's put in place.

The lack of instructions and information from SOS and OSP is mind boggling.

You know that old principle from psychology class: that the more people there are in or around a situation, the more likely they will all think "someone else" will take action. Then it ends up no one takes action because everyone assumed someone else would do it.
Don't worry the FPC will take care of it, or OFF, or the NRA or GOA or 2AF.....

It makes much more sense to extend the deadline or postpone the requirement for a permit until it's put in place.

The lack of instructions and information from SOS and OSP is mind boggling.
To be fair, I don't think OSP is in the position to do anything until they are told what it is they are supposed to be doing, for the most part they seam to follow and/or enforce laws, not interpret them

To be fair, I don't think OSP is in the position to do anything until they are told what it is they are supposed to be doing, for the most part they seam to follow and/or enforce laws, not interpret them
True. They are sitting around waiting to do what they are told.

True. They are sitting around waiting to do what they are told.
Gotta love organizations where the workers operate from the neck down. One of the main reasons I left the military. Heaven forbid we have critical thinkers.

In all fairness their boss is the governor….. puke.

Gotta love organizations where the workers operate from the neck down. One of the main reasons I left the military. Heaven forbid we have critical thinkers.

In all fairness their boss is the governor….. puke.
Compartmentalism. Keep control and information at the highest levels only.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top