JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Status
Reactions
I normally deal on arfcom but I came onto this forum to try to do some easier FTF deals in the classifieds section.
An overwhelming majority of the time people here will commit to a deal then either back out of it or comms will go dark. It's really just as bad here as it is on something like Armslist or Craigslist.
What I'm used to on the bigger nationwide sites is that once you commit you either follow through or your account is banned. What are the specific rules behind this here? I have a few members here that I'm going to leave negative feedback for because of this.

There aren't any rules... at least not unenforceable rules pertaining to things that takes place outside the boundaries of this forum. Forum rules are just that: on the forum. How people conduct themselves is outside the purview of this, or any, internet forum or classified website's CoC.

I've bought, sold, and traded with other members here and have never had a bad experience.

Did you check feedback before you entered negotiations? Are the members you tried to deal with established, or new like you? Anybody can join, it's not like Joe does a credit check... it's possible you were dealing with hit-and-run trolls who lack integrity.

You're recourse lies in the feedback section and your freedom to never do business with them again.

Experiences vary. I haven't done a huge number of deals via the classifieds here. But more than a few. I have yet to have a buyer flake on me. I've done a few as buyer, no issues. Maybe it has to do with the kind of material involved. Or the typical age group involved that kind would imply.

I take that back; I did have one buyer whom I didn't hear from after initial contact. I reposted the item and sold it again right away. The first guy did come back later and tell me he'd had a sudden family emergency. Which if true I guess was excusable.

As to how the site deals with it. I'd say you get what you pay for. The bigger, nationwide sites you mention are likely to be those that charge fees.

This is a good question for @Joe Link

It's really gone downhill here in the past year for classifieds. In the past there were a lot of looky-loos but once you came to an agreement, the deal would get done.

My recommendation is to be leery. I recently had a guy @Stoner welch and go completely dark. Instead of being a man about it, he blocked me. When I left him negative feedback for bailing, he left ME negative feedback for, that's right, leaving him negative feedback. Not the only recent example, but the most ridiculous and juvenile.

Moderators refuse to take down his negative feedback, even though it violates the terms of use here. Lots of good folks here, but more than their fair share of spineless guys with zero integrity or professionalism.

Let me clarify. I've yet to have a bad experience while being the buyer here. I commit to a deal and meet up quickly. It is only an issue while being a seller.

So far on here I've posted a few receivers, a barrel, and a weaponlight. Roughly 10 conversations on those items have either led to backing out of a deal or dark comms.

There have been a mix of 0 or single digit feedback members and members with similar feedback to those who have replied to this thread.

Just unfortunate there's not stricter enforcement. I hold up to my end of the deal and set aside time in my schedule only to get burned.

I hit the ignore button on guys who don't follow through after making a deal and blowing the sale to another member by posting an "I'll take it" in my ad Then backing out.
then they will no longer see my ads, I won't see their ads and I also do this with the guys who don't like a price on something so they ad the laughy face on their post. I just want to weed out the children and the unreliable members and deal with only the good members.

It depends on what "back out of a deal" means to you.

Did the buyer commit to actually buy something, or did they say they were interested and then decide they didn't want to buy it after further discussion or time?

I've only had one person show up to look at a rifle and then decide he didn't want to buy it. Even that was ok with me as he made it clear before setting up the meet that his decision would depend on inspection.

I've had a few people misunderstand the price/quantity and I accommodated them.

A few people expressed interest online and then decided against purchasing before setting up a meet - that is fine too.

Generally most of this kind of issues with a transaction are usually taken care of thru careful setup and discussion. Anymore I start a "conversation" via PM and then post immediately in the ad thread that I have started a conversation. Most of the time I make an offer, almost always it is a statement that I would buy the items at the price they are asking.

Only once have I backed out of a deal where I was setting up a meet; I was going to buy a pistol, and I was setting up the details. I got a call from my boss telling me I was laid off that afternoon. I decided I didn't really need yet another SIG (I have nine), I needed the $ more, and backed out of the deal. The seller was understanding. I actually kind of wish I had gone thru with the purchase.

Of all of the sales/purchases I have made here over the last 7 years - no one has "welched" on me yet.

I have had a couple of deals go dark (one buying, one selling) but have never had or been a no show. A no show once a deal has been made (without a reasonable change of circumstances) should result in negative feedback so other forum members are alerted.

Banning someone for a "no show" would be problematic as it would effectively be a "he said, she said" situation. You really can't prove who was at fault.

It's a lot like CL, Offer Up etc, where you make a time and day and the punter doesn't show up or doesn't bring enough cash we agreed upon, probably thinking I'll just take the short change and move on (I won't ). Just the time wasters in general are the worst and/or don't read your ad and pay attention to details like no trades, firm on price etc. Makes you wonder what kind of up bringing some of these people had...

I normally deal on arfcom but I came onto this forum to try to do some easier FTF deals in the classifieds section.
An overwhelming majority of the time people here will commit to a deal then either back out of it or comms will go dark. It's really just as bad here as it is on something like Armslist or Craigslist.
What I'm used to on the bigger nationwide sites is that once you commit you either follow through or your account is banned. What are the specific rules behind this here? I have a few members here that I'm going to leave negative feedback for because of this.

I guess I must be really lucky. All the FTF deals I've done here recently have been stellar. In the last three months I've done five deals including two this week with outdoorsman and Old Noob, and they all went off without a hitch.

This has happened to me before but only once. I only lost a little time and gas but it pissed me off as well. Agreed the night before on time and place to meet up via text. Followed up next morning to double check. Drove 10 miles to said place. Sent message saying "here"..... no text back, no show. I waited a bit and left, never heard from them again. From then on I only agree to sale if buyer comes to me.

Edited to add though, 99% of the people I meet with have been A+.

I guess I must be really lucky. All the FTF deals I've done here recently have been stellar. In the last three months I've done five deals including two this week with outdoorsman and Old Noob, and they all went off without a hitch.
@Oldnoob is all quality. :)

My 2 cents worth. I have purchased two firearms from our Forum members. Good guys and both the deals went as expected. Sorry to hear that others have not had a good experience with their deals.

Weird. I've never had a bad experience on here, from selling thousand dollar firearms to small things like accessories. Everybody I've met has been great. I had one guy back out of a sale once, but he communicated and apologized, which I had absolutely no problem with.

Pretty sure though that you can leave negative feedback for no shows, so that's probably your best option. Most people on the trader have no negative feedback, so when you see one, it sticks out.

So far I haven't had any problems. Keeping the communication going is key. Feedback is the only recourse we have so I look at it. The only time I have been burned was where I bought from a new member who only joined to sell one item and never left me positive feedback. Like with all Internet classifieds though, you always have to be prepared for something to go wrong. When it does, it is beyond the control of this or any other website.

It depends on what "back out of a deal" means to you.

Did the buyer commit to actually buy something, or did they say they were interested and then decide they didn't want to buy it after further discussion or time?
I am only speaking to buyers who have committed to buying something. Specifically saying they will take it, setting up a time to meet and then going dark or saying nevermind. I am not speaking to people who have just shown interest and asked questions.

This is a good question for @Joe Link

It's really gone downhill here in the past year for classifieds. In the past there were a lot of looky-loos but once you came to an agreement, the deal would get done.

My recommendation is to be leery. I recently had a guy @Stoner welch and go completely dark. Instead of being a man about it, he blocked me. When I left him negative feedback for bailing, he left ME negative feedback for, that's right, leaving him negative feedback. Not the only recent example, but the most ridiculous and juvenile.

Moderators refuse to take down his negative feedback, even though it violates the terms of use here. Lots of good folks here, but more than their fair share of spineless guys with zero integrity or professionalism.

I disagree. It's not something for Joelink to add to his plate. It's built into the board, he already did it, it's just to us as users to use the tools provided.

I disagree with the OP as he needs to learn to use the tools provided vrs needing the government (the board) to fix his selling/buying problems for him.

#1 feedback.
#2 How long have they been a member?
#3 Exactly what @pnwhunter69 said ban the user from your view and your posts from their view.
#4 Is the person selling/buying a supporting member of the board?

Example:
Take the OP on this thread. He has 3 positive feedbacks and no negatives. That is a good start. The bad is he has only been on the board for less than 43 days. Bad #2 OP's only 17 posts seem to all be to buy/sell but he has yet to chose to help financially support the board as a member. As a member of this community, this is important to me.

Personally, the board is a great balance and I don't need "extra enforcement" vs using the tools Joelink has already provided. Its a matter of being more of a member of the community. Example #2. I would 10x more likely to buy from @cigars who I have never met or did any business with than the OP who I have not seen participating in the community online. A quick look at the OPs posts and it looks like he is here only to use the classifieds. That's fine they are there for everyone to use, but I don't see a member badge on his name usually something someone using the board for commerce does to help support the very board providing said commerce.

I disagree. It's not something for Joelink to add to his plate. It's built into the board, he already did it, it's just to us as users to use the tools provided.

I disagree with the OP as he needs to learn to use the tools provided vrs needing the government (the board) to fix his selling/buying problems for him.

#1 feedback.
#2 How long have they been a member?
#3 Exactly what @2pnwhunter69 said ban the user from your view and your posts from their view.
#4 Is the person selling/buying a supporting member of the board?

Example:
Take the OP on this thread. He has 3 positive feedbacks and no negatives. That is a good start. The bad is he has only been on the board for less than 43 days. Bad #2 OP's only 17 posts seem to all be to buy/sell but he has yet to chose to help financially support the board as a member. As a member of this community, this is important to me.

Personally, the board is a great balance and I don't need "extra enforcement" vs using the tools Joelink has already provided. Its a matter of being more of a member of the community. Example #2. I would 10x more likely to buy from @cigars who I have never met or did any business with than the OP who I have not seen participating in the community online. A quick look at the OPs posts and it looks like he is here only to use the classifieds. That's fine they are there for everyone to use, but I don't see a member badge on his name usually something someone using the board for commerce does to help support the very board providing said commerce.

I was just making some of the same observations. NWFA is a firearms forum that has a classifieds section, not a firearms classified website that has a firearms forum.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads