JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rule #1 for a Gunfight: Prepare yourself to avoid one. Guns are valuable tools, not penile extensions. The chances you'll ever be in a gunfight are much bigger in your fantasies than in reality. As an Oregon State Police Lieutenant once told me, the primary purpose of having a firearm is to make sure it never needs to be fired.

As an Oregon State Police Lieutenant once told me, the primary purpose of having a firearm is to make sure it never needs to be fired.

Yup.
According to Gary Kleck's statistics, it's almost always the case that a civilian doesn't need to shoot to end the fight. Not that any statistic should change the way you train.

Rule #5 Distance is your friend. Only if, you are a better shooter, and if you have the same weapon system. If your opponent has a long arm and you have a handgun, its best to close the distance.

Yup.
According to Gary Kleck's statistics, it's almost always the case that a civilian doesn't need to shoot to end the fight. Not that any statistic should change the way you train.

Exactly what happened a few years ago to me. Showed them I had a .45 and by the time I got the 12 GA out from the back of the motorhome they were GONE!!

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Rule11.jpg

Rule11.jpg

so, this rule about the smaller than a 4, I'm fairly new to guns, but to me a 9mm +p hollow point load would do the job perfectly fine.

Well, a 9mm might expand but a .45 will not shrink!

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

so, this rule about the smaller than a 4, I'm fairly new to guns, but to me a 9mm +p hollow point load would do the job perfectly fine.

:s0013: This is an old and much covered debate. I am of the placement school, which holds that repeated well placed rounds count, no matter what the caliber. That being said, I know from personal experience that a .45 ACP is capable of removing a threat with one shot. I have no practical experience with a 9mm.

Have heard the advice to shoot twice many times. Also know of a situation where the second shot made the difference between justifiable self defense and a murder charge.

Never, EVER say "double-tap". Instead, the correct terminology is a "controlled pair" That's what they teach before you head over to the Sandbox.

:s0013: This is an old and much covered debate. I am of the placement school, which holds that repeated well placed rounds count, no matter what the caliber. That being said, I know from personal experience that a .45 ACP is capable of removing a threat with one shot. I have no practical experience with a 9mm.

I have practical experience with a 9mm. A few years back I was shot three times in the torso with one by a skinny ghetto thug, twice in the stomach and once through my left lung.

I have practical experience with a 9mm. A few years back I was shot three times in the torso with one by a skinny ghetto thug, twice in the stomach and once through my left lung.

All my experience was against small framed Asian individuals with light clothing. Type and thickness of clothing, physical condition etc are all factors in survivability. Glad you recovered.

All my experience was against small framed Asian individuals with light clothing. Type and thickness of clothing, physical condition etc are all factors in survivability. Glad you recovered.

I was in light clothing as well, but I am not small-framed or lightly built...and at the time, I was carrying a 4" S&W 29.

I was browsing AR15.com for threads on optics when I came across these rules for a gun fight:

AR Optics: FAQ - AR15.COM

Combat Marksmanship

This isn't an expert dissertation. I'm just a joe. There is a lot of debate on what zero should be used for combat and there are pros and cons for each. I will state my opinion and should you disagree, I won't think you an idiot. I merely ask for your reasoning so we can further the discussion and your experience either shooting people or being shot at. First off, some ground rules for the discussion.

1.You will miss the enemy in combat 90%. This doesn't mean you are going to miss your target. Your target may not be the enemy. It may merely be where you THINK the enemy MAY be. And that's OK.

2.You will not see who is shooting at you 90% of the time. They will not see you 90% of the time they are shooting at you. Funny how that works.

3.Bullets that don't hit are still useful. Some misses are better than others (more on this later)

4.Your first priority in combat is to stay alive and functioning (in that order) (This is also your enemy's first priority.) The best way to do that is to kill your enemy. But that isn't the only way.

5.Stopping your enemy is done a couple different ways. 1. CNS shot. 2. Bleed out. 3. He quits. Only one of these can you count on instantly. Number 2 becomes easier the more times you shoot him. 10 holes bleed out faster than 2 holes. You can't count on #3, but this is the option that is most common. Doing options 1 and 2 on his friends helps option 3.

6.Lethal combat distances are generally within 50M. Most everything else is a battle for fire superiority to allow maneuver to the lethal distances. You can argue this, but history and my personal experience supports my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top