JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
on the the leading issue... this is a known problem with the ruger 22/45 lite version which is what I assume you have... somehow there is a change in the barrel support as it transitions to a hollow sleeve and this causes uneven heating of the barrel which leads to a higher than normal deposit of lead at that junction...

Yep, it's a "Lite". To be honest I've never seen or experienced leading before on any of my guns and I hadn't experienced leading on either of the other two guns during that range session with the same ammo so I didn't think that would be the issue, and for that I take full responsibility. What you say about the barrel and uneven heating makes perfect sense though.

I wasn't even mad about the whole issue until I realized that they hadn't returned the bushing. I specifically asked the lady from Ruger if I should remove the stuff I had added and she said I could leave it all on so I did. Oh well.

You sent back your gun to Ruger over leading in the barrel. Leading you created and failed to identify and remove. You disabled a safety device on your weapon and returned it to the company. Now your shocked it was returned to you reverted back to factory specs. An aftermarket part is a grip or muzzle device. Not a bypass of the factory built safety system. Yes, they kept your part but it's just a $12 part. Buy a new part and move on to life's next challenge for you.

I don't have to buy a new one, they're sending my old one back :)

I have experienced excellent service from Ruger several times. But when I return a firearm for service to any company I always return it to stock condition because all firearm companies may void your warranty if you have modified the functional parts of the firearm. The same is true of most companies and warranties......try taking your new car in for service to the engine after you installed an aftermarket turbo charger or exhaust system.

Yep, it's a "Lite". To be honest I've never seen or experienced leading before on any of my guns and I hadn't experienced leading on either of the other two guns during that range session with the same ammo so I didn't think that would be the issue, and for that I take full responsibility. What you say about the barrel and uneven heating makes perfect sense though.

luckily mine doesn't seem to have that problem.. I was worried about it as I heard of these issues in other forums...

I got one of the original gold ones before they made them black...

probably has more to do with the kind of ammo you shoot... I'm mostly copper plated with very occasional exposed lead .22lr, so that may be the difference...

not a big deal though, easy enough to clean...

Since it is posted on their site, I think it would have been proper for them to return your parts and charge you the $80 plus shipping. I think you got off easy considering the current politically correct world we live in.

Modeler;

When Ruger receives a gun for service, it is first checked for safety, function.
After safety is ensured, it gets the work the customer requested.

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk 45LC from a co-worker.
Bluing was worn in several places, scratches too.
I polished it to the steel, like a mirror.
Sent it to Ruger for a factory blue.
Also asked for a 45ACP cylinder.
I got the gun back and it was beautiful!
They charged me for bluing and the 45ACP cylinder.
The work order noted they changed the 45LC cylinder and all the parts between the trigger and hammer.
I called them up to ask why?
They got back to me saying the gun's frame stretched due to hot loads so they had to fit an oversized 45LC cylinder.
The trigger to hammer linkages showed signifigent wear so they replaced them.
I asked them what more I owed for the extra work, was told I didn't owe any more.

The gun was used for bowling pin matches during the '70s
It wasn't shaving lead.

I bought a Colt lightweight agent .38 (1984 aluminum frame)
Shot 5 +P rounds. Started shaving lead at the forcing cone.
Asked Colt if they would replace the frame.
They said no, and the model was already discontinued.
Asked if they would replace it with a steel frame, no again.
I've a brand new looking paperweight, just looking for a gun turn-in.

Ok everyone, tell me what you think.

I bought a Ruger 22/45 Lite in late September and wasn't able to take it to the range until late October. Before taking it to the range I made three modifications: aftermarket burl grips, Williams Fire Sights and a Sam Lam hammer bushing (this replaces the magazine disconnect). At the range I put 80 rounds through the gun; later that evening while cleaning it I found some dark spots in the barrel that I was unable to remove. I tried a bore snake, I tried a copper brush, I tried solvent-dipped patches, then I repeated everything just to be sure. The dark spots were still there; I decided there might be a manufacturing defect, so I called Ruger. They e-mailed me a shipping label so I could send the firearm back. I included a short note telling them about the problem and the modifications I made so they wouldn't be surprised.

Fast forward to this week. I was told during my initial call that I would get some sort of a status update via phone or e-mail prior to receiving the gun regarding what had been found, but on Tuesday I got an alert from UPS that my gun was being shipped back without any sort of other notice from Ruger.

A package arrived from Ruger today, I opened it up to find my gun with another magazine disconnect installed and a note that did not address the original problem for which I had sent it in; the note did say that they had reinstalled the magazine disconnect, as it was missing. My hammer bushing was no where to be found.

So I called Ruger and spoke to one of the service representatives. He put me on hold while he talked with the service technician, then came back on the line and said that the dark spots were lead fouling and that they had cleaned it for me (I admit, I'm the dumbass there... I've never had a problem with lead fouling on any of my .22's before). I asked about the hammer bushing and he advised me that it is their policy to return the gun to factory condition in regards to any parts involving the hammer or sear and to not return any modified or aftermarket parts.

I asked for the bushing back; he said no, that it was gone and that even if they still had it they wouldn't send it back.

I asked to be reimbursed the $12 I had spent on the bushing, since it wasn't theirs and they kept it; he put me on hold while he talked with his supervisor. He came back on 5 minutes later and said "if you're not happy with the service we provided you then you can reimburse us for the shipping costs and time we spent with your gun". I asked just to be sure "so you're telling me that you kept my property and if I'm not happy with that my only recourse is to pay you money and you still won't send my property back?"

He confirmed that that was correct.

I told him that wasn't acceptable and asked for that statement in writing. He said he wasn't sure he could do that, and that he would have to put a note in the file and talk with his supervisor; I told him that I would hold.

10 minutes later he comes back on the line and says he spoke with the technician again and that he did indeed still have the bushing and that they would be sending it back to me in the mail tomorrow. He also informed me that if I ever returned the firearm for service with the hammer or magazine disconnect modified that they would void the warranty and charge me $80 for service; I told him that was acceptable.

So, tell me what you all think. Was I unreasonable to expect them to return my property intact? Were they unreasonable to keep the bushing? Were they unreasonable to tell me that my only recourse was to give them money and that I still wouldn't get my bushing back?

This is my first time ever sending a firearm back to the factory; was my expectation of having my gun returned to me intact unreasonable?

That really surprises me. I have never had a problem with them, but had never sent one that was altered. I sure as hell think that was a very rude way to treat a customer. I think I would also contact people in both head of Marketing, and someone in higher management and relate the treatment to them. I doubt they will appreciate that one of their employees did that.
That property was yours and they are not so ignorant to not know what it was. I see their point from a liability standpoint, but not the rude attitude and keeping your part.

Just curiosity, but were you shooting thunderbolts in it for that much of a lead deposit?

This is standard Ruger practice, they won't sell many of their parts at retail and they have very strict warranty practices. I've owned several rifles and have a MK III pistol, but I still remember old Bill Ruger Sr and his "we won't sell over 10 rd mags to mere civilians" cr@p from last century. Thankfully he's no longer with us

Fed American Eagle, Armscor or CCI all the way for me

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads