JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know I said I made it through 2020 without a gun purchase. I kind of lied. Wife "gifted" me a Wrangler for Christmas. By "gifted" I mean I bought it as her Christmas gift to me! So yes, almost the entire year without buying a single gun!

Wanted to get this one for some time, just never did. I've already got a Colt 6 shooter in 22lr/22wmr. It's 40-60 years old though. I don't feel like shooting it the same way I will this Ruger.

Ruger gives you a 20% off coupon whenever you buy one of their guns. So I ordered up a set of walnut grips and a leather holster from their site for this guy. Hoping to get it all cowboy'd up shortly. I'll post up some pictures whenever Ruger decides to get them to me.

Anyways...

This little guy is simply fun!

In an age where ammo is almost impossible to find, 6 shots at a time is a good rate! Especially compared to my usual 6-8 (16-25 rounds per mag) magazines at a time through the Taurus TX22 or 10+ magazines at a time through the 10/22 (bx25s). One box of 500, you'll be shooting for hours, six at a time, but that ammo will certainly stretch over a longer period of time.

The pistol itself is a basic six shooter in 22lr. Cast aluminum and or metal injected molded parts are everywhere. Steel barrel, and steel cylinder. Very plane polymer grips. Absolutely nothing fancy, and that's exactly how I'd want it for a plinker.

Trigger is good, maybe 4 pounds. Easy to cock the hammer. No need for half cock to load. Simply pull the loading gate out of the way, and the cylinder can spin either way to load and eject, nice upgrade from your traditional six shooter.

After a couple of strings, getting the cylinder to spin just the right amount to push out spent casings gets easier. Loading gets a bit more difficult the longer you shoot it, as 22 simply gets anything it touches dirty, and after 200 rounds or so, this gun was pretty funky!

Sights are basic at best, typical six shooter style. Work well and pretty much on point out of the box, not that you can really do much it they aren't!

More I sort it the more I got the sights, and hammer manipulation down. Didn't have my timer, I'd be curious how fast I was getting through my plates today!

Overall, it's a winner in my book. Will definitely become part of the plinking club!

Got it good and dirty so don't mind the dirty pictures!!! I'll get more pictures of the pistol later once I take it apart to clean.

213D1828-B815-46AE-A087-8CC67F93698A.jpeg 0434829A-E7AC-42C3-AEA7-FA60F6D609C6.jpeg
View attachment IMG_5983.MOV
View attachment IMG_5987.MOV

I have a black one and a silver one. I think this model is a winner for Ruger- simple, practical, durable. I really like mine, for what they are.

Everyone wants to compare it to the Rough Rider, which is clearly the market they were going for. It costs about 50% more than a Rough Rider, but I tell anyone looking at them, you'd be wise to save up the extra $60 or so and buy the Wrangler: it's a far, far better gun.

I have a Rough Rider too, and it's a great little gun for the money if you get a good one. Mechanically though, the Wrangler is far and away better quality, no comparison really.

I really enjoy my Heritage RR pistol.. but I can easily tell the quality difference between it and the wrangler. Been meaning to pick up the wrangler in 22lr but just havent dont so yet.

Bought one for running rat shot through while on the mower and such to save the barrel on my super single. I like the Federal crimped rat shot not the CCI capsule stuff and I can just leave it loaded with it and not have to changeover ammo types all the time, good lil pistol for a cheapie.

I picked one up last September, silver ceracote model. I put on a pair of Altamont wood grip panels. It may be a cheap little plinker but doesn't have to look like it. I have 1150 rounds downrange, various .22 LR and shorts, seems to shoot them all without a problem. It is not a tack driver but sure is fun to shoot!

So I screwed up and ordered a left handed Ruger branded holster for this guy. Took Ruger forever to ship it, and I am still expecting a set of grips I ordered at the same time!

If anyone wants a Ruger brand leather holster (left handed) for their wrangler, let me know.

Holster is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Wranglers I have.
They are fun. :)
Good to help new shooters get over flinch as you step them up to larger calibers. Controlled shooting for kids is a plus too so they don't burn through your unobtanium.

nothing like $65 grips on a $200 gun.

78654022-A438-4631-8F7A-9157382679CB.jpeg 00E8062A-A344-41A9-BB1C-3F16E5300872.jpeg

Last Edited:
I've shot these Wranglers, and in spite of their price point, they are a very decent little revolver.
Nothing wrong with the grips they come with, or any other replacement grips, but here's a set of grips that I think sets the Wrangler off nicely. The sky's the limit, mild to wild.:cool:

3x48zNbh.jpg

Last Edited:
I was almost ready to buy a Wrangler when I found a classified here last Monday for a stainless Ruger single six with both cylinders. I had a chance to trade a case of beer for one in about 1976, but didn't want to take advantage of a drunk at the time. I've lusted after one of those ever since...What? About 45 years. But there were always higher priorities. So, the Wrangler was looking pretty good until I saw that ad. So Monday I took the plunge finally. It's like going back to high school and jumping in the back seat with that one cheerleader who was entirely out of your league. :)
GunInv2021RugerSS22-1.jpg

So I screwed up and ordered a left handed Ruger branded holster for this guy. Took Ruger forever to ship it, and I am still expecting a set of grips I ordered at the same time!

If anyone wants a Ruger brand leather holster (left handed) for their wrangler, let me know.
Which model holster is it? Ruger lists several in varying price ranges. Tried to PM you but I'm not allowed to view your profile

If you like the stock one, let's go shooting. I put a bunch of Power Customs parts into a Vaquero and then found that some of those Vaquero parts fit the Wrangler. So, mine now sports the Vaq's trigger, trigger spring, lighter hammer spring, and a boat load of internal polishing. Hammer pull is much lighter, trigger is much lighter with zero take-up. Just a nice, light break.

If you like the stock one, let's go shooting. I put a bunch of Power Customs parts into a Vaquero and then found that some of those Vaquero parts fit the Wrangler. So, mine now sports the Vaq's trigger, trigger spring, lighter hammer spring, and a boat load of internal polishing. Hammer pull is much lighter, trigger is much lighter with zero take-up. Just a nice, light break.
Not this weekend, but the following I'm down.

Been there and moved it along. Ruger wanted a .22 to compete with the Heritage cheapos. Well they delivered and the Heritage revolvers even though they're not always pretty to look at are more accurate than the Wrangler. If you want to spend $199 on a cheap .22 so be it. If you can afford it just get a convertible Single Six and call it a day. I did talk to Ruger a few months ago to see if they were correcting the accuracy issues and if they planned on making convertibles and they said no to the extra cylinder and that they were aware of the poor accuracy issues.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top