JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks.

On Saturday I picked up the new Ruger Wrangler and wanted to share with you my initial impressions and range report.

The Wrangler is the newest cowboy action pistol to come from Ruger.

Chamber: 22LR
Capacity: 6-shots
Fixed Blade 4.6" barrel
Finish: Silver Cerakote
Made in the USA

I purchased the pistol from Sportsman's Warehouse for $199 out the door.

IMG_1975.JPG

The pistol comes in a standard cardboard box with the usual safety manual, brochures, warranty card, lock, and a plastic insert for the cylinder.

IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

The pistol frame is Aluminium Alloy with a cold hammer forged steel barrel and weighs in at a surprisingly light 1 pound 5.6 oz

*Disassembly is a breeze. Swing the loading gate open, press the button on the left side just forward of the cylinder, pull out the cylinder rod, and the cylinder drops free to the right*

IMG_1981.JPG

The steel cylinder feels far heavier than its actual 7.8 oz

IMG_1982.JPG

Put together they make for a solid feeling pistol with the weight pivot point sitting a little forward of the trigger guard

The pistol is a "cowboy action" which means all rounds are loaded one at a time through a swinging gate...and then ejected using the ejector rod

IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1995.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG

The gate also acts as a kind of safety...the cylinder cannot swing when the gate is open and the gate cannot be opened when the hammer is cocked
IMG_1998.JPG

The pistol has markings on three locations. Left side is name branding. Right side is serial number. Under the barrel is a safety warning and location of manufacturer (which is 100% made in the USA)

IMG_1987.JPG
IMG_E1989.JPG
IMG_1990.JPG

Like most modern pistols the Wrangler has a transfer bar...which is a welcome safety feature

IMG_1994.JPG

The sights are fixed blade...but check out my range report below and don't worry.
While difficult to pick up on camera I had no trouble seeing the sights on the range.
IMG_1991.JPG

The grip does have a visibly noticeable cast seam but it did not effect the function or feel when firing the pistol
IMG_1999.JPG

After 200 rounds the trigger developed a discoloration that cannot be cleaned off. It doesn't bother me but is something curious I haven't seen before
IMG_2002.JPG

So How Does It Shoot?

Using a weaver stance I fired about 200 rounds of 40 grain Copper Plated CCI 22LR
IMG_1964.JPG

This was consistently my group at 10 yards
IMG_1967.JPG

This is 10 yards "Rapid Fire" (essentially as fast as I could cycle a single action)

IMG_1970.JPG

And this is 20 yards slow fire

IMG_E1969.JPG

Since this is a single-action revolver the hammer needs to be cocked before each shot. There are two distinct "clicks" as it draws back and locks in place.

*Note: when the loading gate is open the cylinder spins freely. Once the gate is closed the cylinder may not naturally fall back into battery. If this happens you won't be able to draw the hammer back. Once the gate is closed just wiggle the cylinder to ensure its "locked" and then cock the hammer*

There is no noticeable trigger creep and, while a little stiff, breaks crisp and feels like its a little over five pounds (based on comparisons with my other pistols)

I didn't experience any failure to fires or malfunctions of any sort.

The recoil is pleasant and has a "pop" similar to holding a Roman Candle on the 4th of July

Overall Impression:

I'm really pleased with the look, feel, price, and accuracy of the Ruger Wrangler. Time will tell how it holds up to field use.

For $199 this is fun pistol, made in the USA, and it has my recommendation.

Safe Shooting!
IMG_2001.JPG

Last Edited:
Nice write up! I know it is a price point thing and they will probably sell well but I am a bit old school on this piece and much prefer my old all steel single six.

I'll definitely own one or two in time. They need to come down about $50 first.

How is the grip size? A had a Ruger Bearcat but couldn't properly hold it due to the tiny grip.

I have huge hands and the grip was comfortable but definitely felt like I was holding a 22LR pistol (its the same size but a tad slimmer than a Colt 1851 Navy). The Ruger Six-Single grip panels are also interchangeable with the Wrangler so there are options for comfort.

As popular as the little S/A .22's are it's easy to see why so few places have one of these for sale so far. They are being sold as fast as Ruger can make them because of that selling price point. After the pipeline fills price should drop a little more and these will be everywhere!

I would buy one instead of the Heritage or chiappa maybe but their basically on the same level of material/quality for the price in my opinion. I still like my super single and when I bought it, it was cheaper than $200 but that was a while ago.......:p For a basic starter single action it seems to be decent and I'm sure that they came out with it to compete with the low end makers mentioned above.

Edit: Would be a good rat shot option instead of using the single six to save the rifling's.

I would buy one instead of the Heritage or chiappa maybe but their basically on the same level of material/quality for the price in my opinion. I still like my super single and when I bought it, it was cheaper than $200 but that was a while ago.......:p For a basic starter single action it seems to be decent and I'm sure that they came out with it to compete with the low end makers mentioned above.

This is of course the market they are after. Taking a quick look at my favorite dealer they offer 2 models like the Wrangler, S/A, fixed sights. The Bearcat and the Super Single 6. Both would run me $525 out the door here. So I could buy literally 2 Wranglers for the same money and some ammo. I would have to expect the gun that is less than half the cost is not going to have the same quality as the ones that are over twice as much. I am not into these kind of guns but many love them. So far all the reviews sound fantastic given the price point. If I wanted a .22 S/A like this? Hell yes I would be wanting one of the new Rugers. This is why they still are selling so well most places can't even lay hands on one yet.

That coating makes them look cheap and ugly. Unless they come out with a blued version, it's going to be a no from me Dawg. Those Heritage might be cheap little guns, but they shoot, last, and look good.

I shot mine for the first time today and though it may be in the same price bracket as my heritage it is far and away a better revolver. The action is very sound feeling as opposed to the heritage, the feel is more solid in my hand and the sights, at least for me, were perfect out of the box. The cerakote isn't beautiful to behold but it is applied well and even throughout the frame, barrel and grip, the upside as I see it is this is a true beater/backpack/truck gun that will survive better than my blued guns in rough environs and if it does get dinged up I won't shed a tear. The action is rougher than a single six but miles better than my Rough Rider and better than my LCRX 22 in single action. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I see beauty in this from a functional standpoint. It is built to a price and is intended to be a tool unlike a lot of expensive alternatives that don't get much use outside of range trips. If this one falls out of the canoe, gets left at the cabin or gets banged up in transit it won't hurt much and seems up to the abuse. Not that I endorse abuse of firearms.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes (approx. in minutes) to reload after shooting up all 6 cartridges?

I've asked this question before, but apparently it's not pc...

It takes as long as it takes to load any single action six shooter with a free spinning pawl. It takes me 20 to 30 seconds usually if I have six cartridges already in my hand.

Anyone who shoots at ARPC get one of these yet? I'd love to handle and possibly shoot one before I look to buy one.

I'm usually at ARPC midweek during the summers...

We and Union,

Thank you both.

With that information, I want a Wrangler too.

I was under the impression and I was wrong, that it took a lot more time to reload, ready to shoot again than it really does...

Anyone who shoots at ARPC get one of these yet? I'd love to handle and possibly shoot one before I look to buy one.

I'm usually at ARPC midweek during the summers...
Yes.

Snagged one for the 1776 celebration day. Let me know when you need to borrow it for a range trip.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top