JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been thinking about a decent SA six-shooter and saw a recent Hickok45 video shooting a Ruger Vaquero. I've put it near the top of my "Want" list.

Looked the model up on Bud's Guns and was pleasantly surprised the price was generally in the $500-$700 range, much more reasonable than most other Colt-like six shooters.

Deep down, I miss the plastic cap-gun I had when I was seven, and just wanna pretend to be a cowboy again. I guess this is what they call a "second childhood". At least I'm not wearing diapers… yet.

The following may or may not matter to you :
Historical accurate copy of anything...Nope
Andy

Looking at prices, it's clear I can't afford historical accuracy. I'll settle for shooting accuracy.

CD3E2BDA-3ACA-4F17-97EF-2C3DC6B0951D.jpeg They are rock solid. It's what most of the shooting Cowboy Action use. Thousands of rounds can't be wrong.

I have a few of the earlier ones in .45 Colt and one in .357. All are tack driver and point wonderfully. I really don't care for the newer ones but I see the reasoning behind it. Lighter means faster on the draw. I built up a real Bear Load with the BIG Speed Bullets and another screamer with the 200ga. Flying Ashtray.:)

I've been thinking about a decent SA six-shooter and saw a recent Hickok45 video shooting a Ruger Vaquero. I've put it near the top of my "Want" list.

Looked the model up on Bud's Guns and was pleasantly surprised the price was generally in the $500-$700 range, much more reasonable than most other Colt-like six shooters.

Deep down, I miss the plastic cap-gun I had when I was seven, and just wanna pretend to be a cowboy again. I guess this is what they call a "second childhood". At least I'm not wearing diapers… yet.

They are a lot of fun. Had a few of the Ruger S/A wheel guns over the years. In larger calibers like 44 and 45 they were always a lot of fun. Not being a wheel gun guy I would always let them go again, then later want one to play with again. As mentioned they are not historically accurate in any way. That was not what they were after market wise. They are made so that it's all but impossible to wear one out though. If you want an S/A for the fun, buy one of them. They are a lot of fun to play with and of course accurate.

I was on the verge 4 or so years ago of getting a cowboy gun. They still fascinate me. I haven't had a chance to really handle one much, and don't know the difference between, Bisley, Vaquero or any of them. I like to have a variety of different guns and not two the same. But at this time when I look at the price on a gun I have to pull back the trigger on for $500.00 I'm thinking that $500.00+ is dang close to buying a REAL 100 year old gun that IS original. Some day maybe somebody at a clean-up will have one in a light recoil caliber I can play with for awhile. That might do it.

I am happy to see some of the positive feedback in regards to the Ruger Vaqueros. They have been capturing my interest for some time now and I have done a small bit of reading on them. I seem to recall reading an article some time ago comparing a Ruger Vaquero to an Uberti Colt replica.

The Ruger is of a stouter and heavier build and also has various modern features for safety and longevity purposes where the Uberti is more faithful to the original Colt design, being sleeker, lighter, and having similar mechanics.

Since I am not necessarily needing a faithful historical reproduction, the Vaquero would certainly suit my needs when it comes to wanting to enjoy a solid SA shooter. Would certainly sate my cowboy shooting urges without having to worry about worn mechanisms and ongoing maintenance.

Also, I think one can find used ones in great condition for well under $500.

I shoot SASS. I started with a pair of 2nd Gen Colt SAAs. Time went by and I managed to buy a pair of New Model Ruger Vaqueros. Currently, I use them as my first line revolvers for SASS. The Colts have sort of been retired.

SAA-357-Mag-007.jpg

SAA-357-Mag-002.jpg

The Rugers are built like tanks. IMHO.....they are a good alternative to the "Italian Clones."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....anyone interested in SASS should take a look here: http://www.curtrich.com/captbaylorsrangercamp.html

Got a Ruger Bisley in .41, 7 1/2" barrel, and I love it. Matter of fact, I think it's the gun on top in my Avatar.

That's why they call me "Mister Bisley" :D

I like the the Bisley models the best, especially if dealing with heavy loads, they just mitigate recoil better than a traditional SA grip.

That said, there's a reason SASS/Cowboy Action Shooting is ruled by Vaquaro .357 loaded with .38s, they are built like a tank and last forever.

I would be happy to respond, perhaps in a different thread, to questions regarding 'SASS handguns'. In the 15 years I was active in the game, my use included all manner of Single Action revolvers per the rules of that discipline. Of course, comments would be unavoidably weighed toward my own opinions/experience.

I have a stainless "old" Vaquero in .44-40 that I got specifically for shooting black powder cartridges with.

Third from the top below.
sQ1YD3c.jpg
Ruger Single-Six .22
Beretta Stampede Deluxe .45 Colt
Ruger Vaquero .44-40
Cimarron (Uberti) Model P U.S. Cavalry .45 Colt

Listen with headphones to get the full effect of the sound of black powder.

You might want to also consider a Uberti Cattleman (bottom revolver above). They are available with different barrel lengths, calibers, and finishes.
1873 Single-Action Cattleman Revolver

1873-cody-revolver.png
Taylors-and-Co-1873-Cattleman-440-839665009963.jpg.jpg
They are closer to the original Colt action than are Rugers. They are also a little less expensive than the Ruger New Vaquero Grabagun.com

Last Edited:
I like the the Bisley models the best, especially if dealing with heavy loads, they just mitigate recoil better than a traditional SA grip.

That said, there's a reason SASS/Cowboy Action Shooting is ruled by Vaquaro .357 loaded with .38s, they are built like a tank and last forever.
Definitely. I would probably pick up a Vaquero if I shot SASS/cowboy action. I went with the Bisley Convertible so I could have big medicine for hunting or big game defense when afield and using the .45 Colt cylinder. Then I'm still able to practice/plink on the same platform affordably, with the .45 ACP cylinder.

Some day maybe somebody at a clean-up will have one in a light recoil caliber I can play with for awhile. That might do it.

Wish I knew you were interested...I had mine at the Brown's Camp/Beaver Dam Rock Pit Cleanup last year. Let me know the next cleanup you attend and I'll be sure to bring it.:)

It makes 230gr .45ACP ammo feel like 9mm...Mrs. Bisley even likes to shoot it.

The first handgun that I bought ...way back in my high school days was a Uberti "Regulator" in .45 Colt and .45acp...that was a fun revolver....I used to shoot .45acp through fairly often and it sure didn't seem to recoil much at all....
Traded it off a long time ago....Might have to think 'bout getting one again...they are fun...Hmmmm...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads