JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at cowboy action setups now. My dad and I are each going to buy a pistol and rifle setup in 45lc. I haven't decided on which rifle to get exactly, maybe an 1892 or 1896 style Winchester or maybe a Henry. It will need to be lever action of course.

After doing some research I am seeing that the Ruger Vaquero is right up my alley...or is it? I want to get the High Gloss SS with a 4.75" bbl. The 'New Vaquero' seems to be almost identical to the old colt army or peacemaker pistols. I don't know much about cowboy action guns so I thought I would run it by you guys see if I can get any new ideas or feedback about this. I understand they make convertible wheels for this pistol so that I can run 45ACP as well as 45LC which is appealing to me

I'm excited just thinking about this. I've always wanted an old west cowboy type setup but never looked into it until now. I can hardly wait!

***i don't plan to compete with these guns, it's just for fun/sporting

check out, SASS Wire Forum

I use old model Vaquero's in 45, at 4.75 barrel length, A uberti 1873 clone, and an original 1897 12 ga. shotgun.
I have 2 Uberti Cattleman 45's, as backups.
The Vaquero is a single action pistol, thats the only thing simular to a colt. The Uberti's are designed closer to an original SAA Colt.
Go to the above site and others to research a little more.
And if you get the chance, head south to Albany Rifle and Pistol Club, they have CAS shoots twice a month.
here is their site: Oregon Old West Shooting Society
Come on down, we'll loan you a setup, and you will be hooked like the rest of us..

thanks for the info, I cleared up my inbox. Like I said I do not plan to compete or enter any cowboy shooting comps. From what I have read so far it operates the same as orginal colt except for that fact you don't have to half cock the hammer to reload on the new vequero. Regardless I'm not looking to be super authentic at the cost of reliability. I hear this ruger is most reliable for the average Joe to get out and start going through the ammo. Isn't the Uberti more expensive? I'm looking at 500 or so to get into the ruger... I'll check out those links...thanks again for the info

The vaquero is a good plinker for the non competing guys. I have had two of them but prefer the new model Blackhawk with the adjustable sights in .45. The transfer bar in the Ruger not only aids in the reloading but also allows to safely carry all six rds. If you havent yet I would definately get the dies for reloading as that was the reason I started reloading ( Vaquero/ Win. Trapper) to start with. If you do go with the Rugers I would suggest getting the spring packs from Wolf, you will notice a difference.

This is what I have still, along with several others......(pic attached)

This is what I had for my last Vaquero (pic attached).

Before you buy ANYTHING, head out and watch a match or 2. You'll get to see and actually handle the different guns and styles, not to mention calibers. The club at Albany is one of the best in the country. Check the SASS home page for info on when and where they shoot. The club in Sherwood is sorta different from the rest of the cowboy clubs in the world, for what that's worth. I've been doing CAS for over 15 years, feel free to get ahold of me and I'll direct you to the guys in your area that will help. It's a hoot, you'll love it!

After doing some research I am seeing that the Ruger Vaquero is right up my alley...or is it?

There are two Vaquero models. The original "Vaquero" and the "New Vaquero" The original was built on a large frame and is larger and heavier than the old Colt SAA. The New Vaquero is built on the medium frame and is a much closer clone of the Colt SAA. The Rugers have a coil spring action and the Colts use leaf springs. The New Vaquero is probably the best bang for the buck. The Uberti clones use the Colt style action and feel more like the old SAA's.

I heard the New Vaquero is popular on the cowboy shooting scene...even though I have no plans to do cowboy shooting...just sayin.

I want to keep six in the chamber and also have a bit more reliability/safety so I went with the New Vaquero. Having a 100% authentic setup is not important to me. I'm just having fun with this thing. It's amazing how many people read my op and still give advice like I'm entering a cowboy shoot sometime or something...

I chose the 4 5/8bbl because I want it to draw a bit quicker and I like the overall size of the gun. I went with high gloss finish and I plan to get some black wood grain hand carved grips and a black leather holster when I get a chance. I really like the look and feel of this gun. I've been twirling this thing around all night, I think I'm gettin comfortable with it already. I'm going to shoot it today after work. Never shot a 45lc before...can't wait! I hope it has as much kick I'm hearing about...yee haw

0426111802a.jpg
0426111803a.jpg

whatever u do.SAVE YOUR BRASS.even if u don't plan to reload,I'll buy it from you in a heartbeat !
Looks like u got urself a might fine shooter there.Now for the carbine,eh?
Since there will be 2 of you shooting,I'd really suggest getting into reloading and shooting cast lead bullets.what a money saver in that caliber.
Let us know how she shoots !

Thanks!

I want to start practicing the quick draw and a few other techniques I am interested in. Because the price of ammo is a bit high right now I want to shoot as much as possible I am considering wax bullet by C&R... any one ever tried it?

They have special reusable shells that are setup to interchange shot shell primers by hand, no tools required. and you can get a boat load of the wax bullets for next to nothing. check it out...

C&R Wax Bullets

Is the cheapest route or what? looks to me that it is...

as far as reloading real live rounds I am not sure how soon I can get into that. I keep my brass with all the guns I shoot, nothing is going to change with thise stuff, thats for sure. Can't wait to shoot this thing after work! I watched tombstone last night so I'm fully prepared lol

Rally, Cowboy action shooting does not allow quick draw and will get you trouble with them. Speer had a plastic round, that used only the primer to propel it. Not sure if it is still available.

Old joke about the fastest draw in the West, No Toes Bailey.

Holy Cow People! I have stated atleast 3 times in this thread that I did not buy this gun to do cowboy competitions or any organized shooting at all. I'm not trying to be rude but it's really driving me crazy that every suggestion is related to 'cowboy shooting'

I bought this gun because I want something FUN to shoot and always wanted a gun slinger's gun since I grew up watching westerns. I'm going to practice quick drawing and pistol spinning because I think its awesome! I dont know much about cowboy shooting comps and I really don't care to learn anything about it...no offense

I'm looking at cowboy action setups now.
I don't know much about cowboy action guns so I thought I would run it by you guys see if I can get any new ideas or feedback about this.
I've always wanted an old west cowboy type setup but never looked into it until now. I can hardly wait!

***i don't plan to compete with these guns, it's just for fun/sporting

I think the folks here are telling you, if you want to learn and see several different types of "cowboy type setups", VISIT a cowboy match. You will see a lot of diffderent combinations, and maybe even get a chance to try a few.

Enjoy your vaquero, and don't shoot your eye out "twirling this thing".

lol, pretty sure it would do alot more damage than shoot my eye out hehe

I'm keeping her loaded with snap caps when I get to spinning her around. It's alot of fun. I got it down with both hands so I think I might need another one ;)

I'm going to look at holsters after work here in about an hour. I want to get something other than the run of the mill holsters at sportsmans warehouse. Anybody know of a good place to start looking in Salem? I'm gonna try Ole's Gun Shop after work because they have some SD 45lc ammo I need. It sure would be nice to find a black leather holster and belt around here so I don't have to wait for an online order. Same goes with the grips...would be nice to find some ebony wood grips local

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I dont think youll have any trouble finding a belt set up in black, alot of shops have used leather. If you have trouble finding one in Salem let me know and I can do some checking around here for you. If you get to shooting that alot you may want to check into the Wolf spring pack I suggested it is easy to install and well worth it.