Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger Super Blackhawk 3.75" .44 Magnum

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by SynapticSilence, Jun 2, 2014.

1. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

Just bought this 3.75" Talo edition Ruger Super Blackhawk. I'm totally wowed by this revolver. Finish is great, balance is exceptional, trigger is amazing. I say this having had a 5.5" Blackhawk in .45 LC that I could never warm up to. Recoil should be stout with the short barrel and I'll lose some velocity, but it looks so good I can deal with it.
    A4E2D4A0-D1C6-4DFC-B382-030579670CE8_zpsmuo6lv4i.jpg
    6AD8882E-7714-4759-8351-D845D6583F7E_zpsjjvlofin.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Pandaz3 and Chee-to like this.
  2. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Everett Member

Technically, I believe it has a 3.75" barrel. I have the Lipsey's Bisley version of that same gun. It is a hoot to shoot, and has been controllable with everything I've fired, including my stout 300 gr. LFN-GC reloads.

3. SynapticSilence

You're right. It's 3.75". Just got in a hurry posting. And since it was the first thing I did this morning, naturally I screwed it up. :) I actually looked for a Lipsey's version with the Bisley grip but couldn't find one and got this with the regular grip instead. Still should be a blast to shoot, though.

4. Dain Bramage

A blast it will be. It is an accurate, quality revolver. I don't especially like powder-puff loads, so I wear a shooting glove for all my plough-handle magnums (.357 and .44 mag. 50th Anniversary Blackhawks) and it works out just fine for me.

5. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Many of us "Ruger" folks own this gun, and everybody is well pleased with it. I find it is just as shootable as the slightly longer 4-5/8" model, but slightly easier to carry. Your picture shows the gripframe as being slightly proud in relation to the grips, and this is very common with Ruger factory grips. Those uneven edges, and very sharp corners will let you know they are there. When you've got time, and maybe a little extra money, you could have grips made to fit the gripframe. There are a number of folks on rugerforum.com that specialize in this work. Also, experimenting with otherwise identical sets of Ruger grips could find a set that fits better, as every set of grips is different. You could also grind/buff the sharp edges flush and with a softer radius, and it will be time well spent as far as comfort goes on these great guns. Or you can live with it the way it is, like I do.

There are some great holsters available for this gun, and this holster made by Zack Davis Leather of Kuna Idaho is a favorite of mine. Rides high and close, and is easily concealed under a coat.
    P1000374.jpg

You did well.:D

WAYNO.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. SynapticSilence

This is my third Ruger revolver, the precious ones being the Blackhawk .45 LC I mentioned and an SP-101 .357 I had for a while. Traded/sold both of those, mainly due to not really shooting them enough to justify the safe space and having others I shot/carried more, but this one's a keeper. As to the grips, they're gorgeous but I'd already noticed the exposed areas and some mildly sharp edges, so I'll be thinking on which route to take. And thanks for the holster tip. I'll be packing this one with me on a backcountry trip to Glacier National Park later this summer and was looking for good holster sources. No downsides to this one I can see.

7. Dain Bramage

I don't know if Ruger "breathed" on these special order guns, but I find the trigger on mine to be on par with the anniversary guns, and much better than run-of-the-mill Ruger SA's I've fired.

Like WAYNO, I am well pleased with mine.

8. SynapticSilence

I agree. The one on mine is exceptional, way better than I expected based on my Previous Blackhawk.

9. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I sure think I would use that more than my 6" S&W 629, which is two years old.... New in the Box, and likely to stay that way even though I have plenty of ammunition.
    I had wanted a short barreled SA in .44, but bought the S&W as it was available.
    I did not realize that Blackhawk triggers had been considered mediocre. I never really had a complaint with my .357, but it is older and unmolested.

WAYNO likes this.
  10. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

since the quote feature is not working, I'll quote the previous thread myself...

I sure think I would use that more than my 6" S&W 629, which is two years old.... New in the Box, and likely to stay that way even though I have plenty of ammunition.
    I had wanted a short barreled SA in .44, but bought the S&W as it was available.
    I did not realize that Blackhawk triggers had been considered mediocre. I never really had a complaint with my .357, but it is older and unmolested.

Actually, I own both, and would not part with either. They perform different missions.

I own and shoot many Blackhawks, and I also do not consider their triggers mediocre. The action on some is stiffer and grittier than on others, but that does eventually work itself smooth with a little use and some lube.

WAYNO.