JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just held the new Ruger SR9C (Compact) and WOW.... I really like it!

I wasn't too big a fan of the SR9 - I thought there were better pistols in that size/price range - but the Compact version? NICE!!!!!

I might have to buy one next month ;)

I agree! I held one today too, and it really got me interested! Anyone know how the SR9's are holding up? I heard they had a recall right from the get-go. :huh:

From what I've read, the SR9C was re-engineered so that the issues that the SR9 had would not exist in the SR9C ..... but who knows the truth on that....

I tried one the other day. While the trigger has improved, the natural point of aim is still way off. Its just not comfortable. But hey, its better than a Taurus...

My girlfriend has weak'ish hands and I'm looking for a standard size, high capacity 9mm that's small enough for her to manage without having to wrestle it. I stumbled on the SR9 on a Shot Show picture album site and thought "there we go". I then found the SR9 blog listed below which chronicles customer feedback from 2007 to now. The blog is run by a guy named Steve who, by his participation, seems to be a Ruger rep using the site for R&D/ marketing reconnaissance.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/10/18/ruger-sr9-new-polymer-framed-9mm/

The blog has 700+ entries and I didn't have the patience to read all of them. But most of the people seemed very happy with their SR9's, considering the number and frequency of the problems they were complaining about. According to Steve, there is a Ruger recall for pistols with serial numbers beginning with "330...". The pictures online made the gun look fairly handsome and there was enough warm fuzziness about the gun on the blog that I went to three Clark Co. gun shops to check it out myself. All of the shops carried the SR9 and every SR9 I took a look at had the "330" series serial number.

I have smaller hands and the pistol felt very comfortable. I am by no means a pistol authority, just a novice really. But to my un-schooled sensibilities, on closer inspection, the guns appearance didn't quite live up to the tight and clean promo images. I worked the action and asked to do a few dry fires. The workings and sounds felt course and a little chinsy. The manual 1911 style safety, which I was glad for, had a small thumb tab that I thought made it harder than necessary to thumb it up and down. The slide release tab was also small, which concentrated the force required to overcome the slide's stiff tension friction on a smaller than necessary area of the thumb. It was definitely harder to release than my XDm9. I almost needed to resort to two hands to release the slide, so this gun was out of the running for my girl friend. The guide rod was plastic, as were the adjustable rear sight and slide components surrounding the striker pin at the rear of the slide.

On the flip side, I am probably being prematurely unfair to a decent pistol, because there are a lot of people on that blog that love their SR9's despite the commonly made complaints about the front sight falling off, among others. For example, one of the bloggers was a police officer who placed his life on its performance by making it his duty pistol.

It would be nice to support an American manufactured product line, so my verdict is a reluctant thumbs down, in contrast to the bulk of the SR9 buyers on the blog. While some bloggers mentioned having no problems at all, some of the bloggers iterated their happiness to buy American, and willingness to be patient while their complaints got remedied with the recall. So this makes me wonder if their desire to buy American-made products filtered out their objectivity a little.

I have the SR9 and love it.. Though I see I may be getting some of the dreaded barrel peening issues (maybe, it might have came like that though, a couple hundred more rounds will tell)

My wife had an LCP and at first she loved it but after about 100 rounds or so she said this is just to small and not for me. It did not fit my hands at all and I just didnt like how small it was, so I decided to sell it before the value went down any more.. Sold it and she seen pics of the SR9c and is very interested, because she likes my SR9 but thinks the grip is a to long.

How long before these things start becoming a common gun to see in person at a local shop? There are selling like crazy online but I have yet to see one in person.

How long before these things start becoming a common gun to see in person at a local shop? There are selling like crazy online but I have yet to see one in person.

These shops have the SR9:

LL Guns, Battle Ground
Sportsman's Warehouse, Vancouver
Brightwater Ventures (360) 256-6700 - 12200 NE 60th Way, Vancouver, WA, 98682