JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title states this is my first handgun. I purchased it at Fisherman's Marine in Oregon City/Milwaukie for $420.00(Not bad). I was previously set on getting an XD sub-compact or and XDm. While researching handguns I came across the Ruger SR9c. Being pretty new there was very little feedback other than most of the issues with the original SR9 had been remedied with this iteration. Fisherman's had all three guns I was interested and after holding them in my hand I just had to go with the Ruger. The fit is amazing. I can easily reach any of the functions with one hand on the gun. The mag release is perfect and the safety at the rear of the slide is actuated with just a flick of thumb. The slide release on this gun locks into place so two hands are required to release the slide(I don't believe this is a big deal at all/one hand to pull the slide the other to release). The recess at the top of the grip makes the gun very comfortable to hold while the checkering on the lower grip makes the grip quite secure. The manual states that the gun can be dry fired without issue and it has seen quite a few these last few days.
Now onto the pictures:
This is how the gun came out of the case.
3234c80e.jpg
This is everything included with the gun. The small envelope had a shell from first test fire.
7719a34d.jpg
This is the gun how I use it(with curved back strap and pinky rest). I find this gun to be quite aesthetically pleasing(sexy :p ).
bcd0bc3b.jpg
Other side.
b199d8ce.jpg
Field Stripping is easy, not tools involved. The takedown pin is big enough I can push it through with my pinky enough to pull it out the other side. The front of the dual recoil spring is plastic, but the part that contacts the barrel is metal. You can also see the 17 round magazine and 10 round magazines in this picture. That magazine loading tool is a godsend!
c01496f9.jpg
This picture just shows the scale to my hand. I'm 6' 190lbs with fairly thin hands and it fits very comfortably. Also not the chambered round indicator on the top of the gun.
72d64e5b.jpg
Here is the loaded indicator from the top. Also note the rear sight is windage and elevation adjustable.
4bf1897f.jpg
Here is the gun with the 17 round magazine and grip extension, it is quite comfortable but the 10 round magazine fits my hand just as well.
1371fad5.jpg

My friend and I went up to Memaloose yesterday and I ran 135 rounds(PMC FMJ 115 grain) through the gun with out a hiccup. Ruger seemed to use some sort of grease under the slide from the factory so I cleaned it out and re-lubed it with Rem-oil. My friend had two used Hipoint 9mm compacts(very heavy) and one would not fire at all and the other had several stove pipes and feed issues. It did make me feel better about the extra money I spent, although he has admittedly never cleaned them. I am very please with my purchase and am now working on cleaning up my stance and grip. I believe the gun is much more accurate than I am being fairly new to handgun shooting. I was able to get 7 out of ten shots on the paper at 35 feet but after I read "How to shoot a handgun accurately" by Massad Ayoob I believe I can do much better. Dry firing at home with my original grip I could see where the gun was pointing before and after the trigger pull and with the revised grip and trigger pull I can keep it right on target. Now just to implement the changes at the range!

My best shot of the day:
25 feet on a 3 inch wide by 1 inch thick piece of lexan. The top mark was already there and the side mark was from my buddy's Hipoint, mine is the one right in the middle, which was right where I wanted to put it:s0155:.
3c8c69c1.jpg

P.S. It was quite sickening to see how many people just leave their crap up there, I was always taught to leave with more than you came with. My buddy and I are planning on taking a whole day and do some cleanup and shooting the next time.

Last Edited:
I have a full size SR9 and I love it. I think the reported problems with it are a little blown out of proportion.

I'm sure you will be very happy with your SR9c. And if you do have any concerns Rugers customer service in second to none.

Congrats on your first handgun! It's all about finding the right fit for you. It's good you tried various ones out. For me, that's the M&P series...but I do like the feature that you can go with a 10 round for concealment or a full 17 with the grip extension; very nice!

Have fun...now just practice, practice, practice...and get some training too.

Oh, and get ready...this won't be your last one either!!!

Good write-up and thanks for the pics! I agree that the recall info on the SR9 seems blown out of proportion as the pre-recall guns function perfectly well in my opinion.

How much does that lexan cost?

I am planning on taking some classes, but first I've got to get my fiancée a handgun she can operate so we can go together. I wanted to do the OFA concealed carry class but all their Sunday classes are booked up forever(seems that way anyway). I'd like to get my concealed carry permit as soon as possible. It looks like English Pit and PSTC have some good class choices. Ultimately I'd like to take the full gamut of OFA defensive handgun courses.

I have a regular sr9. a couple thousand rounds through it, not a single problem yet, besides crappy trigger.

check out ghostinc.com for that

and my mag release was really stiff, but I fixed that as well.

A far cry from my first handgun, but I love my SR9c also. I'm so used to carrying a .454 or .44 Mag revolver (with scope) that shooting the SR9c is a lot like the feeling you get when you pick up a little KelTec mouse gun for the first time... the amazing part is the fit and feel in your hand. This gun can't be palmed, but it's otherwise a perfect everyday carry piece, IMO.

Anyone have a good source for the finger hook baseplates for the factory mags? A few more holster choices would be nice too, but that will come in time.

-Case

Just picked up the 9c at Fisherman's Marine as well. Took it home, cleaned out the factory grease and polished the feed ramp and other sharp edges, re-oiled with G-96 gun oil. Took it to the range tonight and put about 400 rounds through it with NO jams, failure to feeds etc. One failure to fire but that was due to a bad primer. I too own the big bro SR9 and sure wish the big bro had the same trigger as the compact. The trigger on the C is so much smoother, and lighter, I was amazed. Plus I love both mags, and 17 rounds in a compact 9mm is quite usefull. I think Ruger really did a better job on the "C" due to some problems with the full size SR9. Great gun and at $420, a great buy. I have a stainless SR9, but got the compact in black stainless. It's a georgous finish, almost satin and very dark gray. Two inch groups at 50 feet, quite accurate. Nice job Ruger.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

I am planning on taking some classes, but first I've got to get my fiancée a handgun she can operate so we can go together. I wanted to do the OFA concealed carry class but all their Sunday classes are booked up forever(seems that way anyway). I'd like to get my concealed carry permit as soon as possible. It looks like English Pit and PSTC have some good class choices. Ultimately I'd like to take the full gamut of OFA defensive handgun courses.

If she is looking for a smaller caliber you may want to look at a Walther P22. Reasonably priced at $300-ish and my little lady enjoys firing it. It's big for a concealment piece but great for plinking.