JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dang. Bought a Ruger SR45 about two weeks ago and liked it so much I bought it's little cousin, a Ruger SR9 Compact, yesterday. These are solid, extremely ergonomic, and well thought out handguns, especially at a sub $500 price point. I've always shied away from them for reasons I can't explain. Anybody else have any experience for/against the SR series? I'm sold.

My wife carries the SR9C everyday. I have shot it several times and feel it has its advantages and disadvantages as well.
Advantages - Nice fit and finish, great sights, good trigger, easy controls, lots of safeties, loaded camber indicator. Comes with both standard capacity and CCW mags.
Disadvantages - A little on the clunky side, lots of safeties.

My first carry gun was an SR9c, the only thing I didn't like was not being able to release the slide with the slide lock. Also, there was a lack of holster options at that time (which isn't as big of an issue now).

I'v had an SR9c for almost two years. I didn't really get it for carry as it's little heavy and thick. I love the gun, I've got fairly big hands (long fingers) and the feel of the gun is perfect for me. I don't understand why you hear so little about them, as far as I'm concerned they're up there in accuracy/dependability with all the other makers compact models, for less money to boot!

Mike

SR9c is a great gun. Accurate with excellent fit and finish with crisp and smooth trigger. With the 3.5 inch barrel, I find it difficult to consistently obtain 1-2" groups past 30 yards, but I wouldn't consider that a negative for a barrel of that length. In addition to the 10 round magazine, there is a 17 round magazine with a grip extension. Very comfortable to carry and shoot. Don't understand the negatives about the safety features. They're required for compliance in some states. You can remove the mag safety if you like.

Ruger has outstanding customer service. Any problems that I've had were taken care of rapidly and with no hassle whatsoever.

Plenty of holsters available in many different styles, including for those equipped with lasers.

I have a sr9c. Its my EDC with a OWB holster and I love it. It was my very first handgun and its still my favorite gun. I don't think I'll be replacing it as my EDC any time soon.

The positives on this pistol (sr9c) as given by those above helped in my decision to pick one up. Just have to say if it shoots as good as it feels...this gun is a winner. I'll know tomorrow.

I've been so busy getting ready to retire at the end of the month I haven't made it to the range with either the SR45 or the SR9C yet. I've got a lot of ammo, so hopefully this week I'll make it out and try them both out. Love the way they feel and the triggers on both aseem excellent out of the box. Thanks for all the input. Seems like I was silly waiting this long to get them. The only Rugers I've had are the Ruger LCR .357 I still have (and love) and a Mark III Hunter and a 22/45. All are/were great, just took a while to hook me on the center fire semi-autos.

SR9c is a great gun. Accurate with excellent fit and finish with crisp and smooth trigger. With the 3.5 inch barrel, I find it difficult to consistently obtain 1-2" groups past 30 yards, but I wouldn't consider that a negative for a barrel of that length. In addition to the 10 round magazine, there is a 17 round magazine with a grip extension. Very comfortable to carry and shoot. Don't understand the negatives about the safety features. They're required for compliance in some states. You can remove the mag safety if you like.

Ruger has outstanding customer service. Any problems that I've had were taken care of rapidly and with no hassle whatsoever.

Plenty of holsters available in many different styles, including for those equipped with lasers.

I have a sr9c. Its my EDC with a OWB holster and I love it. It was my very first handgun and its still my favorite gun. I don't think I'll be replacing it as my EDC any time soon.

Would you guys mind sharing what holsters you say are for the SR9c?? All I have for mine is the simple nylon Uncle Mike's. When looking at some of the local shops I've not seen anything labeled SR9c, it's always "Glock" something or other, M&P, XDs...... I haven't contacted Ted Blocker or any of the $$$$ on line holster makers though. I'm not sure I want tot be spending $100.00+ for a holster I won't be using for concealment.

Thanks.

Mike

Have you had the chance to see how the fit is or is it winging it's way toward you? If the latter please let us know. According to the site they have 8 left in stock.

At first when I got it, it was too tight, but after carrying it around for a while its not as tight now. I haven't had my gun fallen out of the holster. If you were in pdx I'd let you try it out before you bought it online. You can always order it from their winthrop website.

I have the same issue with a Mac holster. So tight the slide wants to creep back when I put it back in. I ordered that one off line so I was curious on the fit to avoid the same mistake twice.

The instructions I got with the holster is if its too tight than wrap the gun in the plastic that the holster comes with the leave the gun in the holster over night. I left mines in for a week.

Thanks...I've read that but never tried it and will give it a go. Btw took the sr9c out for a spin. No problems...flawless but I will lightly do some polishing on the
trigger. Not that it isn't good but because it is there.:s0114:

The only thing I don't like about the Ruger SR series is the magazine disconnect, so I went online and was amazed how simple they are to remove. It's literally maybe a five minute job, including field stripping the pistol, that's almost impossible to screw up. Replacing it is just as easy, so if you ever have to send the gun back in for service you can just reverse the procedure in about the same time (if you don't screw up and lose the part). Both of mine will now fire with the magazine out with no noticeable change in the trigger pull at all.

My very first gun was a Ruger SR9. I plan on using it for my daily carry once I get my CCW. Looked at the SR9c, but it's no thinner, and that's the only thing I was worried about for a carry gun, so I went with the little longer barrel and grip of the full-sized SR9. But great gun, I love it! I can shoot pretty decent groups with it now, have put probably 400 rounds thru it in the year I've owned it, and never gave me any problems besides a couple FTE's the first time I shot it. Looking to get an SR22 with the silver anodized slide right now, I want to have it's little brother in the safe with it, lol! And their cousin 10/22 will be in there keeping them in line, I'm a big fan of Ruger, great guns for the money!

I have owned a couple Ruger SR series pistols. Let me start off by saying I like them very much they are appealing to the eye, very reliable and cost $100-200 less than comparable pistols. The bad: not the greatest fit & finish from the factory some tooling on the metal and small cosmetic imperfections in the poly frame, accuracy isn't the greatest, bad triggers and the mag disconnect. These are just little things that bother me that aren't an issue for most gun owners. I would take a SR over a glock any day.

From what I can see the triggers must have improved. Very crisp release, reset not the shortest but extremely tangible/audible. I've had worse on some higher priced guns before. Maybe I got lucky. I'd read that they've recently been improved. Close enough to suit me, anyway. Not that I'm as picky or selective as some.