JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I think you should throw out the flyer and post the results.
Maybe one of your reloads was...? (kidding,new reloader here)

That's pretty good.That gun is a very nice looking 1911

I agree with mjbskwimthat you should throw out the flyer.
You could have reset and run another 5 shot group. It's impressive either way, that's for sure.

One thing about the Ruger 1911 that keeps me from buying it...
It's not all stainless steel. Why did they put blue parts on it that will rust?
If I'm buying stainless, I want the whole gun stainless and visa-versa.
There are very few pistols available that are all Stainless. You don't often find Stainless Hammers, Sears and Triggers.
Most of these parts are MIM because of the repeatability of the process, and MIM parts have proven that they are equal to, or better than, a machined counterpart. Many of todays pistols use a fair amount plastic in them as well. Some Walther's, Sig's and other brands have plastic guide rods. But they can be replaced too. If I remember correctly even Colt made some 1911's with plastic triggers.

I'd rather have the Ruger SR1911 with a few blued parts, than buy another pistol full of plastic parts. You can always replace the blued parts with new stainless parts. Stainless isn't rust proof either. It's just more rust resistant because of a lower carbon percentage than other types of steel. I've seen dozens of rusted stainless handguns and rifle barrels that proves that out.

But here's the true beauty of the 1911 platform. You can start with a solid frame, slide, and barrel, and then tune it up to suit your shooting style perfectly. There aren't many other pistol designs that have as many options to the end user than the 1911. The bench test above proves the SR1911 is a well built platform from the very beginning and a very good pistol, with or without personalized changes.

Any way you look at it, the SR1911 is a very good value for a shooters money.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Skydiver,
I believer you're correct that the Ruger SR1911 is a "70 series" style. I recall a discussion that it doesn't have the hammer block safety that the Colt 80 Series pistols do.
Seems a whole bunch of "Officionados" of "1911" style pistols get into a urinating match over what is a "true" 1911 or not.
It really doesn't matter to me. When you say 70 series, or 80 Series, I know what you're talikng about. I'm sure they do too.
They should forget the semantics sometimes, and enjoy the conversations for what they're meant to do. Ask questions and entertain answers.
The same goes for S&W revolvers with their "Grips" or "Stocks". Or being able to call a Revolver, a Pistol or not. My S&W Model 66 Revolver still has the original owners instruction sheet with it. S&W calls their own Revolver a "Pistol", so it's good enough for me.
There is a difference between a "Clip" and a "Magazine" though, and I'll stick with gently correcting that minor misnaming.

Regards,
Gearchecker

One thing about the Ruger 1911 that keeps me from buying it...

It's not all stainless steel. Why did they put blue parts on it that will rust?

If I'm buying stainless, I want the whole gun stainless and visa-versa.

I would have preferred that the SR1911 didn't have blued parts on the stainless gun, too. But if that's what is holding you back, I think you are making a mistake. It's a great gun, especially for the price.

And yes, this is a "series 70 type" of 1911 without any firing pin safety of any kind. It uses a titanium firing pin and a heavy firing pin spring.

(and I like to call a mag a clip just to see ifn' anyone gets nutz about it!):s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top