JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reading back thru the threads I see that a number of you picked one up. So far how do you like them? Any problems, broken front sight, FTF that didn't resolve itself after break in etc? Has anybody changed out the front/rear sights and what did you go with? Anybody get TFO's or TFX's?

I believe @WAYNO has one.

Yep, I've got one. I really like it. I've not changed anything.

I've owned many 1911's thru a lot of years, in .45 and a few in 9mm, but this 10mm has become my favorite of all of them. Never had a lick of a problem, and it's a naturally nice shooter.

I've made the offer before...If a feller wanted to give mine a try, I could sure meet them at my gun club in Canby.

Last Edited:
Made a call and found one for a decent price! I was thinking VZ grips but the rubber ones actually feel pretty good. I'm gonna try painting the front sight and maybe taping off the rear sight and painting a bar on it or maybe just a dot because I'm gonna have a hard time seeing it otherwise. It actually feels better in the hand than the Sigs I've had. Hoping to get out and shoot it tomorrow. :)

Correct, I picked up a Kimber Eclipse Custom 10mm auto. It' the only factory 10 MM 1911 i currently own. Have 4 hand built 10 MM 1911, three are STI, one is a Caspian. I really like the Caspian the best, cheaper cost, with a better grip/frame arrangement that takes standard unmodified grips. This was the best of the double stack 1911, because it can take any G.I. pattern grip!:):):)

Made a call and found one for a decent price! I was thinking VZ grips but the rubber ones actually feel pretty good. I'm gonna try painting the front sight and maybe taping off the rear sight and painting a bar on it or maybe just a dot because I'm gonna have a hard time seeing it otherwise. It actually feels better in the hand than the Sigs I've had. Hoping to get out and shoot it tomorrow. :)

So, what did you end up getting?
Never thought I would take to those VZ grips, but once i tried them, I was hooked! Nice and aggressive, but not too rough to chew on your hands:) if you want, I may sell/trade my grips, I installed a flared mag well extension, and the grips are not set up for that.:( going to order a new set that are cut for the mag well, hopefully I can find the exact same color combo!
20180126_210710.jpg

So, what did you end up getting?
Never thought I would take to those VZ grips, but once i tried them, I was hooked! Nice and aggressive, but not too rough to chew on your hands:) if you want, I may sell/trade my grips, I installed a flared mag well extension, and the grips are not set up for that.:( going to order a new set that are cut for the mag well, hopefully I can find the exact same color combo!
View attachment 428855
Oh yeah, I guess I did mention 2 different flavors didn't I? :D

I bought the Ruger. Just liked the feel of it and that did it along with everything else I've read about it. Nice looking Kimber! If you decide to sell your VZ's let me know. The rubber grips are OK but VZ is definitely a step up. Gonna try to get out and shoot tomorrow but all I could find at Bimart was a single box of American Eagle. Hopefully I'll have my new bench setup shortly and I think I've already got 40/10mm dies. Somewhere in that pile o' stuff.... :confused:

Last Edited:
For now the Ruger has pushed my HiPowers aside.

I'm very happy with the Pachmayr Signature grips that wrap around the front strap. I replaced the grip screws with slotted stainless mainly because I don't like allen head grip screws. To me they look like pop rivets.

So far I've shot around 200 rounds of different factory 180gr loads including the light American Eagle (1060 fps), S&B (1164 fps), and Sig Sauer (1250 fps) with no issues what so ever. My first reloads gave me few ejection failures but I am sure I will get that sorted.

It has been a little difficult finding ammunition and I ended up ordering some S&B online. I have also not seen Longshot powder anywhere I have looked locally. I am wondering if this is due to all the new SR1911 owners. :)

I tried to get more of the little wire takedown tools, because I will surely lose it, but Ruger does not sell them. I ended up making some from piano wire.

I have one of these short triggers waiting to be installed.

HD-101-B Extreme Service 1911 trigger

let use know how it shoots. I'm still going through a frustrating Kimber break-in period :mad:

What's your problem? I had a FTF problem with my Kimber Camp Guard 10, and it was a poorly tuned extractor.

I wouldn't wait for a break in period, fix the problem.

After I took some tension off my extractor and polished the inside of it, she runs well. Yeah I could have waited 500+ rounds but why?

I took it out today and was very disappointed...

That I only had the one box of ammo! :D
Lubed it up last night and worked the slide a few 100 times. I was mainly concerned with function so went to the nearest place to shoot and didn't bother bringing any paper targets. Set a few clays out and started 15 yds or so away. Spent the 1st mag figuring out the sights and second mag started hitting clays. A mag later I decided this is too easy and started busting up the pieces. Still too easy so I moved back as far as I could, only to about 20-22 yds. After another mag I decided next time I'll go someplace that I can stretch out a little more.

It ate the 50 rds I had without a hiccup, no FTF's or FTE's. I ran over to Sportsmans and grabbed a couple more box's of the anemic AE and have 4 boxes of Sig Elite FMJ's coming early next week. Just so I'll get to play with it some more and end up with a little brass too. And hopefully I'll get my new bench up in the next week or so. Stay tuned for bullet, powder, load, etc questions. ;)

All in all one of my better firearm purchases, I'm happy with it!

A couple updates...

My SR1911 10mm, although the best shooting 1911 I've ever owned, has had some issues.:(

P1050341.jpg

The underlug on the barrel cracked, severely. Of course Ruger sent me a shipping label to return the gun to them. They replaced the barrel and returned the gun to me. I've been doing my best to duplicate this failure, but it seems the replacement barrel is holding up very well. But at the same time, I'm experiencing way too many failures to feed. Maybe one in eight. That's one failure per magazine.

I've polished the feed ramp, and I cannot find any other issues to cause this, so I'm still shooting it a lot, very often, to see if it'll loosen up. The common denominator is... it jams on chambering after the third magazine on a clean gun. So I'm thinking maybe the chamber tolerances are such that there's not enough room in the chamber for unburned powder and the cartridge. Next range trip, I'll shoot it a bunch more, and when it starts jamming, I'll clean it on the spot and see if function resumes.

Finally, for those interested in what kind of jam...The cartridge feeds half way into the chamber and with the upward pressure of the next cartridge in the magazine, it just kind of galls and will fed no further. When I clear the jam, there is no further resistance rechambering the same round.

Last Edited:
A couple updates...

My SR1911 10mm, although the best shooting 1911 I've ever owned, has had some issues.:(

View attachment 446959

The underlug on the barrel cracked, severely. Of course Ruger sent me a shipping label to return the gun to them. They replaced the barrel and returned the gun to me. I've been doing my best to duplicate this failure, but it seems the replacement barrel is holding up very well. But at the same time, I'm experiencing way to many failures to feed. Maybe one in eight. That's one failure per magazine.

I've polished the feed ramp, and I cannot find any other issues to cause this, so I'm still shooting it a lot, very often, to see if it'll loosen up. The common denominator is... it jams on chambering after the third magazine on a clean gun. So I'm thinking maybe the chamber tolerances are such that there's not enough room in the chamber for unburned powder and the cartridge. Next range trip, I'll shoot it a bunch more, and when it starts jamming, I'll clean it on the spot and see if function resumes.

Finally, for those interested in what kind of jam...The cartridge feeds half way into the chamber and with the upward pressure of the next cartridge in the magazine, it just kind of galls and will fed no further. When I clear the jam, there is no further resistance rechambering the same round.

Wow! That's not good. I hope the 2nd barrel continues to hold up better than the first - and that the feed problems go away. Doesn't sound normal for Ruger.

Wayno, what loads were you shooting? It seems like excessive recoil/sures velocity could cause a failure like that. I'm not a gunsmith but I'm curious because of the historical issues of the 1911 design holding up to heavy hitting 10mm loads.

Did you replace the firing pin stop? Is there a large radius on the stock firing pin stop? I've found a non-radiused firing pin stop significantly reduced slide velocity on my Kimber.

Wayno, what loads were you shooting? It seems like excessive recoil/sures velocity could cause a failure like that. I'm not a gunsmith but I'm curious because of the historical issues of the 1911 design holding up to heavy hitting 10mm loads.

Did you replace the firing pin stop? Is there a large radius on the stock firing pin stop? I've found a non-radiused firing pin stop significantly reduced slide velocity on my Kimber.

I've shot everything from soft puffer ball ammo, to loads at the upper end of the SAAMI spectrum. I was shooting Federal Soft Points, 180 gr @ 1275 fps when the failure occurred. Same ammo in another Ruger 1911 has been fine, and it's been fine in the replaced barrel. We'll never know, but there must have been a flaw in the lug on the original barrel.

At this point, I've done nothing more, other than shoot the pistol, trying to ascertain that it's not gonna break again.