JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I just picked up a new Ruger SP101. I put about 100 rounds through it this weekend. While I like a lot of aspects of the pistol the trigger pull is a doozy. Double action is a long pull and a ridiculous amount of resistance before it breaks and fires. I'd like my girlfriend to be able to shoot this pistol and I think with such a heavy trigger she wouldn't enjoy it at all.

I've read a lot about people installing the Wolff Spring kits to make the trigger more enjoyable. I've also heard some people just dry-fire snap caps a couple thousand times.

For those that have the Ruger SP101 did you replace the trigger springs? Did you notice a difference?

Thank you.

mine is a sp101 match champion. the trigger is really good on it. whatever ruger does to them is what i recommend you do. might contact ruger and ask

I'd just shoot it.. and make sure it's lubed properly.
If you do fiddle with springs, the conventional proving test is if it fires with CCI primers while fired double action 100% it's good.

I did mine many years ago. The Wolff spring kit really smoothed up the double action pull, and I have had no issues with misfires with factory or handloaded ammo.

Did mine a few years ago. Polished, shimmed and the springs. Gave it a decent DA pull and no problem with light strikes. I believe you don't need caps to dry fire a 101.

I changed the springs in mine, and added shims to center the hammer and trigger. Easy job with pretty good results. Trigger is still a bit heavy, but better than stock

If you do change the springs, make sure to put it thru a big amount of test firing. I bought a Ruger revolver not long ago, and the springs had been swapped. Trigger was amazing. BUT - At the range it failed repeatedly to detonate ammo that a Taurus revolver 100% reliably detonated. So moral is you CAN go too light. I had to get factory springs for the Ruger and swap them back.

I've done the wolf kits on SP101s and Security-6s. It helps. But like others have stated, be careful you don't go too light. I think the first attempt to lighten the double action, I might have cut a couple coils off on the mainspring....too many failures to fire....don't do that. Try the Wolf Kits.

I appreciate everyone's reply. I'm leaning towards giving the 10 pound springs a try. While I'm a bit worried about light strikes there is no way my girlfriend will want to shoot with the trigger how it is right now. So if it doesn't work I'll just have to swap it back.

If you've never taken one apart, expect to spend some time putting it back together... it can be a pain. Also, getting the trigger group out is a pain the first go around...

Rugers are easy to work on. A good polishing and shims will smooth them up great deal. Once that internal friction is removed you can go lighter on the springs and still have 100% reliability, even with the hard CCI primer.

You are always going to have a long pull on a double action revolver.

Last Edited:
First off I went to the Ruger Armorer's School. Two I own two SP101s.

As folks indicate above replacing springs can get you into a failure to fire situation quickly. First thing I would do is unload it and while watching TV DRYFIRE IT. It won't hurt a Ruger to dryfire it where other designs will wear the internal parts quickly.

Dryfire it about 1000 times then add a touch of oil. I use Ed's Red and you make it yourself. Heres how:

1. Get a 2 gal gas can and put in 2qts of K1 Kerosene or Offroad Diesel.
2. Put in 2 qts of Mineral Spirits
3. Put in 2 qts of Mercon Dexron Transmission Fluid

Buy the mineral spirits in gal can and the Mercon Dexron by the gal for cost savings and you have enough to make another 1.5 ga a couple years down the road. Give samples away to your friends for their use.

Go to Home Depot and get about three spray bottles and place in strategic places around your house and shop. You will find this is the best general lube you have ever used. It should be good to about 50 below zero. I have applied it to a rifle barrel and stored it muzzle down 14 months, borescoped it and it was still wet ! ! ! !

It is great on outdoor locks that get wet all the time.

If you live in the South it does in a fire ant mound quickly. You just kick the mound, get them riled up, spray the ones your see and come back an hour later and kick the mound again. If you see any more spray them. Also good for wasps etc.

Great for enclosed cables on lawn mowers, hinges in car,house,fence etc.

A lot of folks put about a pint their the gas tanks as a top lube.

One time I ran out of gas in my tractor about a 1/2 mile from home. Walked back and picked up the ER 2 gal can by mistake and poured in about a half gallon. As I finished I realized what I had done. the tractor cranked and drove fine to the house but smoked a bit so I just topped it off with gas when I got back.

I am going to post a article I wrote a number of years back called Fires, Misfires, Hangfires and Short Order Cooks in Jersey. you might enjoy !

Last Edited:
I think a few of the SP101's I've purchased were returned to the shops because 'the wife didn't like it'...
It's okay to keep a gun or two for yourself that the lady won't shoot.

I've owned maybe 4 in different configurations. I wish I still had the spurless hammer model and the 9 mm. I think they are great guns and it's probably been my most commonly concealed carry model.

I think a few of the SP101's I've purchased were returned to the shops because 'the wife didn't like it'...
It's okay to keep a gun or two for yourself that the lady won't shoot.

I've owned maybe 4 in different configurations. I wish I still had the spurless hammer model and the 9 mm. I think they are great guns and it's probably been my most commonly concealed carry model.
Indeed, my wife can't lower or raise a toilet seat so we crap in a hole in the ground.

nr

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads