JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I just picked up my first revolver, a Ruger SP101 .357 w/ 2.25" barrel, in a trade with cash for one of my AK's (WASR 10). My plan was to get rid of the SP101 ASAP in hopes of finally purchasing a 1911; however, after taking it to the range yesterday, I have decided that it is a keeper. The recoil was surprisingly not bad at all. My wife's RUger LCP felt like it had more kick (or snap) than the SP101.

I am still fairly foreign to revolvers and now can see why people like them so much. The only concern I had with the SP101 are the factory sights. With Semi-Autos, I have always been fairly accurate but with the revolver, I shoot like a boy among men. Should I look to update the sights?

I was going to say more practice and a better set of grips than factory ones, but everyone beat me to it. My main problem with aim is that with full magnum loads, I still flinch. I think I'm afraid of it a little bit even though I've shot it enough to know I shouldn't be.

Check out this guys You Tube video on his Sp101 trigger job.
I've replaced my 4" Security Six springs with Wolff's Springs and it made a world of difference.
With a short barrel like you have, it's an easy and inexpensive upgrade and should improve your aim.
He's a little slow and slightly clumsy but it's an easy gun to work on and you should check the internals for dirt and crud, plus you get to know the in's and out's of a very sturdy pistol.

They are exceptionally accurate, as are most all handguns. And for those pimping for spring changes, I'd not do that. You kinda want it to go bang.. every single time in double action mode (one only uses these guns DA.. even for squirrel heads at 40yds let alone for fightin at "ten feet"? lol) and with the hardest primers that are/can be pressed into the pockets.

i bet my brother he couldnt hit my 5" steel target at 70 yards with his sp101. sure as sh!t first try he hit it. no rest, standing. i then bet him double or nothin. i lost.

They are exceptionally accurate, as are most all handguns.
Agreed. For me this is the smallest sight radius I've ever had (prefer 4-5" barrels) and just takes getting used to it, and the much heavier trigger pull. With enough practice (and money...god 38special and 357 is expensive!) I should be as good with my SP101 as my Kimber Pro TLE or Glock19!

Agreed. For me this is the smallest sight radius I've ever had (prefer 4-5" barrels) and just takes getting used to it, and the much heavier trigger pull. With enough practice (and money...god 38special and 357 is expensive!) I should be as good with my SP101 as my Kimber Pro TLE or Glock19!
Well hopefully one day you'll be able to centerpunch a mouse in the eye with all those there.. oh, and at 50 yards and DA. anyway.
There's you and then there's the Ruger. That Ruger, as I said, is exceptionally accurate.

I've had my shorty for many years and carried it for half of that but try as I will, I can't hit anything past ten yards with it. Now sports a laser and sits by my bed. My friend has a 4 incher with which I was ringing a ten inch gong* @ 50 yards with the first round fired. My advice is if you are going to concealed carry of in house self defense, they're next to top drawer but if you are packing in the woods get a 4 incher.
*(I couldn't hear it but could see it swing)

My first revolver, Ruger SP101 2.25" wiley clapp version, Novak sights. Now I want a 3", 4", and 6" Ruger GP or SP...

Rug1.jpg

With such a short barrel, 357 is "ok..." but not for rapid followups. Going to order some Buffalo Bore 38 Sp +P and see how that compares to the Remington Golden Saber 125gr.

Rug1.jpg

Necro Thread resurrection!

With a rest. I will ding the 24" plate at 200y with .357's using 3" GP100

Not to jack the thread but this also might help op with accuracy..

2 weeks ago I told my girlfriend I would pay half for a ccw if she bought a sp101. She obviously bought it but once we got home she complained about the DA pull as she was dry firing with 2 fingers... I don't want her to get rid of it so there a way to decrease the pull weight and make it more enjoyable? She is more used to firing my vp.

There is (see video above; many others on Youtube) but it may reduce the reliability of firing. She should do finger strength exercises. Dry fire the SP101 every day 10-15 times and work it up to 30, 40, 50, etc

Did she want the SP101 to begin with? Did she dry fire it in the gun shop?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top