Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger Single-Six accuracy?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by oldfashonedamerican, Oct 21, 2011.

1. oldfashonedamerican

oldfashonedamerican Portland, OR Member

So I am thinking about picking up a Ruger Single-Six next week and just want to get some opinions from some people with experience.

I am specifically looking at the 6.5" barrel, fixed sight, blued finish model. (I got a thing for cowboy guns so I prefer the fixed sights)

My question is what kind of accuracy have people experienced?

I'm not looking to buy this gun for a target gun, I'm just looking for an affordable "fun gun." As long as I can hit a soda can at 50ft (17yrds) it will make me happy. ;P

2. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

Dang things are tac drivers in my experiance.

3. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

A soda pop can at 50ft? Shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the Ruger website it appears that the only model available with fixed sights is the 'convertible' model. In my experience I always had better accuracy shooting .22Mag out of the convertible model.

dolooper and (deleted member) like this.
  4. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Mine does about 1.5-2" at 25 yards with a 6.5" barrel. The 9.5" Single-Six buntline looks cool.

5. shayne

shayne port townsend Active Member

if you pm me your e-mail or cell number i will show you pics of the 79 single six i picked up like the one you described minus the fixed sight .i may have a pair of pearl grips for you .oh and i can put all six rounds on paper at 50 yards

6. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

I had an old (1964?) three screw 22mag single six and that thing shot like the bullets were laser guided.

sometimes I miss that gun, it could really bring you out of a funk

7. chevytatt

chevytatt Salem Member

I have one with a 4 5/8 barrel, and my friend and I were hitting 2 inch steel target 3-4 times out of six at about 35 yards. Kick a#$ little guns, and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one anytime.

8. oldfashonedamerican

oldfashonedamerican Portland, OR Member

well its good to hear some positive feedback. I was reading some other forums and they were making it sound like I might as well just shoot my shotgun. :p

9. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I have owned several Single Sixes and they have all been very accurate guns. My current SS is a fixed sighted stainless model with a 6.5inch barrel. I have seen posts about inaccurate guns but I usually suspect they are written by folks who don't shoot the guns themselves.

10. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Pick what part of the can you wanna hit at that distance.

DSC_5838.jpg

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  11. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Love Ruger three screws! The only Ruger revolver I have left is my .41 Mag Three Screw. Won't ever sell it.

I had a Singe Six Convertible that was a New Model with the 4 5/8" barrel. It was a very nice gun and if it had been an old model (three screw) I probably would have kept it. It was an adjustable sight version, which I believe is the way to go with a gun that shoots both Long Rifles and Magnums. It was accurate enough to meet the OP's requirements easily.

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

Soda can at 50'? Could almost do that left handed. These are so fun to shoot.

13. chrislind2

chrislind2 Springfield, Oregon Member

The Single Six helped my daughter's appreciation of how accurate a handgun can be. She was getting discouraged shooting her Beretta .380 and we took the Single Six to the range and she didn't want to leave. We had to buy 2 more boxes of shells. Now she has an Ruger SP 101 and is dissapointed if she can't get good groups at 7 yards. I keep telling her it's a 3" barrel, if you can hit the target every time your doing really well. I tried it with a rest and still could not consistantly group many rounds, but I did hit the target somewhere every time. But that Single Six is amazingly accruate. Makes me want to take it to the range just thinking about it.

14. jer fly

jer fly cottage grove Member

I can hit a soda can more times than not out to 100 yards with mine, ( 3 screw 1962 5 1/2 inch barrel fixed sights ). Dave Clements of Clements custom guns can accurize any ruger including single six for a real match grade revolver.

15. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Here's my 9.5" Single Six. I feel like the Joker when I pull this thing out.

Bryce113.jpg

16. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Oregon Active Member

I have a buddy who has one of those long barreled Sixes. The thing doesn't know it's not a rifle! It just lies out there all steady for me and hits exactly where you point it. We were easily busting clays at 100yards.

17. waldow777

waldow777 Hillsboro Active Member

Pop cans at 50ft all day long with my old 70's single 6..! One of my favorite pistols