JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up a Ruger American Rimfire Compact in 22lr. Got it home and sure enough, the front sight fell off. Looked closer and the whole damn screw hole is not threaded and is too big for the 6-40 thread pitch they use. The stock also was not free floated (somewhat common on Ruger Americans) and the bore had powder fowling from their test fire. Not super stoked with the Ruger QC on this unit. Really wanted this for my son and I to enjoy, but looks like I'll need to send it back to Ruger to be fixed or rebarreled. Hopefully they can get to it in a timely manner and not a few months....

Just picked up a Ruger American Rimfire Compact in 22lr. Got it home and sure enough, the front sight fell off. Looked closer and the whole damn screw hole is not threaded and is too big for the 6-40 thread pitch they use. The stock also was not free floated (somewhat common on Ruger Americans) and the bore had powder fowling from their test fire. Not super stoked with the Ruger QC on this unit. Really wanted this for my son and I to enjoy, but looks like I'll need to send it back to Ruger to be fixed or rebarreled. Hopefully they can get to it in a timely manner and not a few months....
Where'd you pick it up from?
Hard to believe the factory would shoot it enough to foul the gun up.

Got it from Tick Licker in Corvallis. Very few gun shop options these days in this area. I would think maybe the shop test fired it or it was used except I was there picking up a different gun when it came in. I hope Ruger can make it square pretty quickly. Other than rebarreling, I wouldn't mind if they cut it down 2" and thread it while they have it :)

You thought 2020 was bad, welcomento 2021. Across all industries quality control is down. Mainly due to new hires. You can not longer assume any brand thats histrionicly beentop notch is still top notch.

I own/have owned multiple Ruger American Rimfires. Mine have been flawless and extremely accurate. Yours is unfortunately not.

Contact Ruger, get a prepaid shipping label, and return the rifle.

That's a bummer.

My Ruger Wrangler is great. My SP101 needed a trigger job before it was remotely comfortable to shoot (there were large shavings in the trigger group when I took it apart and plenty of burrs).

Thankfully Ruger stands by their guns.... but their QC is less than stellar

I was interested in a Ruger American for quite a while. But after having shot several examples including @11Charlie my experience was minute of dinner plate.

Yeah plus the Ruger Americans just suck to begin with.
A couple of dead elk and a few blacktail in my freezer would say otherwise. I've owned a lot of rifles over the years from Weatherbys to Remington, Savage 99s, pre 64 Winchesters etc. Most had wood stocks, which I greatly prefer over plastic and a lot prettier. I have two Americans. I finally settled on the Americans a few years ago. For a utilitarian meat getter, they do the job and do it well

Mine rusted on the barrel within two months, stored in a humidity controlled safe with oil on it. I bought it to use and not to eyeball it as it's not a pretty rifle. My example is superbly accurate though. I bought it as it takes standard larger capacity mags and is silly quiet with a suppressor attached. My daughters Walter air rifle is substantially louder than it.

Mine rusted on the barrel within two months, stored in a humidity controlled safe with oil on it. I bought it to use and not to eyeball it as it's not a pretty rifle. My example is superbly accurate though. I bought it as it takes standard larger capacity mags and is silly quiet with a suppressor attached. My daughters Walter air rifle is substantially louder than it.
I couldn't find the threaded model. I've been looking for months. This is the first compact model I've seen in a long while. I know a gunsmith can cut/thread for $125, but the barrel is pressed and pinned. Not sure if that is challenging for a gunsmith or not. My gunsmithing knowledge is just enough to be dangerous with a dremel and a punch.

My Ruger American .22lr with a Nikon Rimfire scope has been reliable, and I can make 1 small ragged hole in the target all day long. Not one single issue since I got it in trade.

Ruger typically makes things right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Maybe Ruger has paid more attention to their QC on them than before.
Actually, I have had mine for quite some time. If I remember correctly, the American line had not been out that long when I got it.

Maybe I got lucky, I don't know.

I do know this, I LOVE SHOOTING IT!!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Actually, I have had mine for quite some time. If I remember correctly, the American line had not been out that long when I got it.

Maybe I got lucky, I don't know.

I do know this, I LOVE SHOOTING IT!!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....
Good to know yours was an early model. I don't know, maybe I just shot 3 lemons? One was .308 and the other two were .223. All three were lousy groupers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top