JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the past rugers revolvers were the "good deal". Gp100s were $150 or so cheaper than a s&w 686. Today i was on the budsguns website and found a blued 4 inch gp100 for$769 and a s&w 686 plus for $714. Dont get me wrong I really like rugers but imo the smith is a more refined gun. Not sure if it's a price hike by ruger or a supply and demand type situation. Hopefully ruger prices come down again it was always a very nice affordable option to S&W and colt

I would put forth the notion that Smiths are getting cheaper. I mean that in every sense of the word.

To put it another way, Smith prices should be keeping pace with Ruger. For the RIGHT reasons.

I would put forth the notion that Smiths are getting cheaper. I mean that in every sense of the word.

To put it another way, Smith prices should be keeping pace with Ruger. For the RIGHT reasons.
I guess i have been lucky every recent S&w revolver i have bought has been outstanding. My newer 686 is second only to my model 19-3 . My gp100 is in my top 5 but the trigger is not even close to my smiths.

Agreed. I'm pretty unimpressed with the build quality of even the "custom shop" S&W revolvers. Rugers tend to lock up a lot better, in my opinion. That said, the really old S&W were fantastic.

Agreed. I'm pretty unimpressed with the build quality of even the "custom shop" S&W revolvers. Rugers tend to lock up a lot better, in my opinion. That said, the really old S&W were fantastic.
My understanding of the situation as well.
I make no claims of being a an expert either, but definitely a fan of both. Old school Smith mdl 49 bodyguard has noticeably better trigger than my new "pro" 442 , which is a performance center offering. To be fair, the older gun may have enough rounds through it that it's just smooth from use.

A friend here reached out to me about a basic model 10/22. Asked if it was a good deal at $230. I was like, "No, those are like $180 new!" Then I looked online and learned basic model 10/22s are now selling for around $300. So ya, $230 is actually a great deal.

At this rate, the value of my Rugers have gone up more than my pre-lock Smiths. Used to find GP-100s for $300 - $400 pretty easy. My pre-lock Smiths were all $600+. I want to sell the Smiths, but the return wouldn't be worth the hassle so I've been holding them to see if the return becomes more favorable first. Not interested in selling the Rugers even if they quadruple in price; I just won't be buying any more.

Gratuitous semi-related pictures below because guns.

My 586 no-dash, nickel plated, 4" wearing some random wooden grips:
SW_586_Nickel_1.jpg

My $600 681-1 and one of my $400 GP-100s:
GP100_681_Side_1.jpg

I really need to take some better pics of some of these.

At this rate, the value of my Rugers have gone up more than my pre-lock Smiths. Used to find GP-100s for $300 - $400 pretty easy. My pre-lock Smiths were all $600+. I want to sell the Smiths, but the return wouldn't be worth the hassle so I've been holding them to see if the return becomes more favorable first. Not interested in selling the Rugers even if they quadruple in price; I just won't be buying any more.

Gratuitous semi-related pictures below because guns.

My 586 no-dash, nickel plated, 4" wearing some random wooden grips:
View attachment 1206921

My $600 681-1 and one of my $400 GP-100s:
View attachment 1206922

I really need to take some better pics of some of these.
And buy those ladies some new dresses, if glamor pics are the goal.

I know those hogue monogrips are very functional, but fashion can be refreshing .

Ruger prices have been going up for a while now. I bought my first 45 Colt Blackhawk for the MSRP price of $169.00. That was 1980. Today that same gun has a MSRP of $829.00. Makes me contemplate the 5 single action Rugers I have. Maybe when I retire from the ammo business I'll sell a few guns for some traveling money. Right now though, they are money in the bank.

Last Edited:
I remember in 2019 I was considering buying gp100s online and the price was about Glock level. Only seen one on a shelf since and the sticker looked a lot more HK level

I remember in 2019 I was considering buying gp100s online and the price was about Glock level. Only seen one on a shelf since and the sticker looked a lot more HK level
I imagine the Gp line will come down when supply is no longer a issue. It's a great gun but it's not at 686 level imo. A Ruger gp 100 is almost 35% cheaper to make than a 686.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top