JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have quite an assortment of match ammo. Eley still gives me the best results in the two guns I own and shoot in what I consider the "really accurate" category, and a third one that a buddy has that I shoot. And as far as scopes, I have quite an assortment to choose from. My eyesight is bad enough that I need all the magnification advantage, all the clarity advantage, and especially all the parallax correction advantage I can get. A VX-III or other decent scope in a x12, x14 or x20 really is not overkill for me when shooting a very accurate (I don't own a precision) .22 rifle.

Last Edited:
I have quite an assortment of match ammo. Eley still gives me the best results in the two guns I own and shoot in what I consider the "accurate" category, and a third one that a buddy has that I shoot. And as far as scopes, I have quite an assortment to choose from. My eyesight is bad enough that I need all the magnification advantage, all the clarity advantage, and especially all the parallax correction advantage I can get. A VX-III in a x12, x14 or x20 really is not overkill for me when shooting a precision .22 rifle.

I don't own 22lr rifle I would consider precision, I have some straight shooter but no tack drivers. My target guns are handguns and the ranges so close I use red dots. In my opinion a new rifle like this deserves good optics and I appreciate input on optics in case I buy one. I have my hunting rifles scope sighted but looking at the Ruger I would probably buy a good 22lr scope???

I don't own 22lr rifle I would consider precision, I have some straight shooter but no tack drivers. My target guns are handguns and the ranges so close I use red dots. In my opinion a new rifle like this deserves good optics and I appreciate input on optics in case I buy one. I have my hunting rifles scope sighted but looking at the Ruger I would probably buy a good 22lr scope???

Unless you rely on the BDC in a dedicated .22lr scope I find any quality optic works well on .22lr's.

Yes, I've owned a few.

My eye sight is pretty bad myself. I like having high magnification on my rifles. My cz455 has a vortex viper 6-24x50 on it. The one I'm putting on the ruger precision rimfire will be a athlon midas btr 4.5-27x50 that I got a deal on during black friday. I was looking for a rifle to put the midas on, good thing this rifle came along. Overkill? Most likely. Lol.

20180102_185216.jpg

I can only speak for myself. A rifle like this will mostly be shot from a bench, be it at the range, or in the alfalfa fields used on sage rats. And with either a bi-pod or an adjustable shooting rest, the weight of this gun is a benefit, not a hindrance.

Heavy? That is why you need a pile of these things.... One is not designed to do everything. I have light rifles, heavy rifles, short rifles, long rifles, fancy wood rifles, fancy plastic rifles, fancy metal rifles..... And cheap rifles, old rifles, rifles that are just neat....

I think this one has a place in the lineup.... If not I'll sell it to someone else after I figure that out.

This thread is naturally morphing. It was asked how the Precision Rimfire might compare to a 77/22. I can partially answer that. I own the American Rimfire Rifle, the basis of the Precision Rimfire. My American, bone-stock, will outshoot any 77/22 I've ever shot or owned. A friend of mine challenged this statement, as he does have a 77/22 that is quite accurate. He and I shot side by side, our own rifles, and I beat him, if not by much. The test was not scientific, as we didn't take turns with each gun. So we did not eliminate the human factor. If his gun shot a sub-nickel 50-yard group, (and we're talking ten-shot groups) and my group was slightly smaller, I still stand by my belief the American is more accurate. Adding to this American platform a "perfect" adjustable stock, I can only expect it will be an even better shooter than my base American. I would also mention the trigger on the American and/or Precision Rimfire. Their advertised trigger pull of 2-1/4 pounds, although better than some, is not necessarily a target trigger. Just how good the individual trigger is on the rifle a feller actually receives, will separate the accurate from the extremely accurate.

I've now got to morph this discussion even more. Accurate rifles are always compared to other accurate rifles. There are some target-10/22's, straight out of the box, and/or customized, that are unbelievable tack drivers. I own one. It's what they used to call the 10/22 Tactical. They changed the name to 10/22 Target Tactical. It's simply a 10/22 with a 16" target barrel and Hogue stock. And from research today, it looks like it's now dropped from their lineup. This is the most accurate .22 I've ever owned, and that's even compared to the long standing 10/22 Target model, which in my experience was not as accurate as its price might suggest it should be. Over and above this, a buddy of mine has the same 10/22 Target Tactical, with an after market barrel, that shoots measurably smaller groups than even mine does. We're talking 50-yard, reproducable 10-shot, dime size groups. This is, at least, the accuracy this Precision Rimfire must compete against, or better.

Last Edited:
I am just saying that by the time you get it loaded down with a scope and bipod its' going to be too heavy for anything but bench shooting. However that's what it's made for to my mind, I don't picture it ever getting far from the pickup. I love 22lr, I have shot 22lr more than any other caliber.:)

10/22 target
I had the Target 22 hammer barrel for 22 years & finally sold it off recently. While it was smack-on accurate out to 75 yards, I found my buddy's ultralight Volquartsen barreled Kitt trigger/etc was every bit if not more accurate and way easier to carry around. And a bit more mysterious to me, as "how can such a STUBBY barrel be so accurate".

I had the Target 22 hammer barrel for 22 years & finally sold it off recently. While it was smack-on accurate out to 75 yards, I found my buddy's ultralight Volquartsen barreled Kitt trigger/etc was every bit if not more accurate and way easier to carry around. And a bit more mysterious to me, as "how can such a STUBBY barrel be so accurate".

Short barrels are "supposedly" inherently more accurate... They just don't have the velocity.. I read a study which said that shorter barrels imparted less variation due to less vibration.... Made sense to me.

Short barrels are "supposedly" inherently more accurate... They just don't have the velocity.. I read a study which said that shorter barrels imparted less variation due to less vibration.... Made sense to me.

I read a similar, if not the same article. Made sense to me too.

There's even more to it. .22 rimfire ammo has completely used up its useful powder by 16" to 18" of barrel. The bullet is not further accelerating appreciably with a longer barrel. In the old days, before optical sights, the benefit of a longer barrel was a longer distance between sights.

Interesting (and pleasing to me) the new releases of target rifles. I was disappointed to think younger shooters had no such interest. Ruger and others must think otherwise, if they're willing to take such a market gamble.