JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few weeks back I made a purchase to complete my collection on the Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22LR flavor.
I waited a long time when they hit the shelf because I did not want to tarnish the reputation my Ruger American stainless I had. When you have a rifle that will shoot as good as it did, I was afraid I could make a $400 mistake and buy a rifle that didn't live up to the hype.

I was wrong.

Old Faithful:
IMG_1132.jpeg
This rifle is accurate.

The new RPR:
I topped it off with a Nikon Rimfire that is ¼" clicks at 50y. Sighing in was easy, after an old fashioned bore sight out the back yard, my first shot was within 3" of point of aim. Using the easy adjusting exposed turrets, I brought the POA and POI into alignment after 3 shots.

Shooting today took place with my .22LR suppressor. No shots taken without.

60780394413__A2E3254B-3619-4E38-BB3F-59FE2EC6B0F9.fullsizerender.jpeg
(shown with Leupold optic)

After a few rounds I realized this rifle was going to be a winner. I started off running some American Eagle red box garbage through it and had a good pattern of about 2" at 50 yards. Expected for the ammo.

About 50 rounds in I decided to swap over to the CCI Standard ammo. After a small adjustment to compensate from 1250fps to 1070fps I was ready to do some plinking.

The results: @ 50y
IMG_5236.jpeg
Weather was good, light breeze from 9 to 3, small gusts that were predictable.
The single outlier on bottom left target was first shot with CCI's, I then walked it up and into the black from there.

I did 5 shot groups in each of the 4 circles. Aside from a couple that went outside the boundary and fine tuning afterwards, the remainder were perfect. I'd say it's a keeper.

There was only one downside to the rifle. It comes with a 30 MOA base, this is the reason the Leupold optic was not used, there was not enough elevation in the optic to make it work. The Nikon was the only one I had that would work.

Bummer.

One issue I had that I will need to address. There was some extraction problems. Kind of like not enough oomph to get the case out and sometimes it wouldn't extract from the chamber all together. Need to find if it's a busted spring, weak claw etc.

The family photo showing the three brothers smiling and ready to do some plinking.
60780148587__E86E425A-45A9-4E40-8C00-2B19D785626E.jpeg

All in all: would I buy again? Sure thing.

One issue I had that I will need to address. There was some extraction problems. Kind of like not enough oomph to get the case out and sometimes it wouldn't extract from the chamber all together. Need to find if it's a busted spring, weak claw etc.

I picked this up for my boys of 7 and 9 how to shoot and I noticed the same with the dummy rounds when practice at home as well as the Winchester we used out at the range. i thought it was just my kids not doing it correctly at first. But not that big of a deal for now.

Nice review, btw. I was considering this and the Ruger American as well. :)

I picked this up for my boys of 7 and 9 how to shoot and I noticed the same with the dummy rounds when practice at home as well as the Winchester we used out at the range. i thought it was just my kids not doing it correctly at first. But not that big of a deal for now.

Nice review, btw. I was considering this and the Ruger American as well. :)
Thank you for your insight and information! We aren't the only ones with these issues.

Dyjital,
Are all three rifles in your pic .22? I sure love my RPR in .243.(after a couple upgrades). Im shooting .750 groups @200 yds. and looking for a longer range. Good to hear the rimfire model is good, I have looked at them and wondered.

Not helping lol!

I've really wanted one since they came out, bought the American. Like your stainless model, I've been over joyed with how accurate my American is.

Thanks for the report!

Dyjital,
Are all three rifles in your pic .22? I sure love my RPR in .243.(after a couple upgrades). Im shooting .750 groups @200 yds. and looking for a longer range. Good to hear the rimfire model is good, I have looked at them and wondered.
.22LR, .17HMR and .22Mag

Can you swap the base for one without the 30 MOA?

How stiff is the polymer chassis?

I ended up getting a Boyds stock for the American. It made the ergos better, but the overall finish was a bit disappointing compared to the last couple of stocks I've purchased from them. I'm thinking the RPR chassis is likely better even though it's likely just injected mold.

Can you swap the base for one without the 30 MOA?

How stiff is the polymer chassis?

I ended up getting a Boyds stock for the American. It made the ergos better, but the overall finish was a bit disappointing compared to the last couple of stocks I've purchased from them. I'm thinking the RPR chassis is likely better even though it's likely just injected mold.
I can change the base. I didn't need to for the other optic I put on it. One was just a little taller in the bell.

Stock is surprisingly stiff. I don't notice any flex anywhere but I haven't been looking for it either.

Ok, after reading this thread I went to Sportsman's in Salem after work and got my instant approval on one of these on 22lr. Came home with me today!!! I even bet the guy at the counter I'd be taking it home and he said that would not be the case. So, I bet him lunch on it, now he owes me, lol. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow.

Ok, after reading this thread I went to Sportsman's in Salem after work and got my instant approval on one of these on 22lr. Came home with me today!!! I even bet the guy at the counter I'd be taking it home and he said that would not be the case. So, I bet him lunch on it, now he owes me, lol. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow.

instant? that's crazy? do you have CHL or other status? my recent SR22 took just over a week with 4k+ people in line at application... :(

instant? that's crazy? do you have CHL or other status? my recent SR22 took just over a week with 4k+ people in line at application... :(
I have a CHL but never use it for bgc's I have a clean record with a unique last name. So far I've never been delayed since I started purchasing firearms twenty one years ago.

Shot this dirty dog out at 200y today. Still hits the mark. Ran some Wolf match and some Norma match.

Still impresses me.

Ordered a Flag series .22 Ruger rimfire precision model last week from Sportsman and picked it Sunday with an Instant. Now to find a scope and site it in. Looking forward to it.

I have a .22 RPR as well. Absolutely love that thing.

Curious as to those who take their shooting seriously with it, what have you found to be the best ammo for it? I have heard that CCI Green Tag and Elly Match shoot very well through it. I have had my best luck with Stingers so far.

I have a .22 RPR as well. Absolutely love that thing.

Curious as to those who take their shooting seriously with it, what have you found to be the best ammo for it? I have heard that CCI Green Tag and Elly Match shoot very well through it. I have had my best luck with Stingers so far.
Wolf and SK