JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now, the last thing any reasonable person should do is ask for anything resembling legal advice on the internet and much less on a forum - BUT (always a but in there), I have a Ruger P85 that I've put quite a few hundred rounds through and come to learn it has been recalled some years ago due to what appears to be an isolated incident where a firing pin fractured in a particular pattern and the "decocking" action of the safety engagement resulted in a negligent discharge of the firearm.

Now to the question. Ruger told me that they would send a box for return, pay postage, perform the warranty work for free, and ship my pistol back. No harm no foul in my book.

Discussing the situation with a friend and had them tell me that he had one sell awhile ago and it was not sent in for the warranty work and for some reason that was more desirable than those with the "MKII" stamp on them.

Any rationality to that? I am of the opinion that (aside from the personal morals issue involved) it would be a crazy liability to sell someone a firearm knowing the work had not been done.

Do you want to use it as a tool? Then get it fixed.
Do you want to keep it as a collectible. In it's original condition? Then put it away and never shoot it again.

Were not talking about a Python. Or a first gen SAA Colt here. It's a $300 gun in like new condition. So how much value are you preserving in your life time?

Now. That being said. I would keep it, as is. Only because that was my first handgun.
I bought one new in Germany. I think it was 1988. Plus I have many other guns to shoot. Do you? Or is this your only gun? Can you afford to get another?

There is never anything wrong with preserving a gun as original. Just remember. Your preserving it for somebody else. Maybe many generations down the road. And there is nothing wrong with using a modern gun to death! Just don't use a classic, collectors gun to death. That would be a sin. And your soul would go straight to Satin.........

In the end it's your gun. So do with it what you want. It's your call.

Just don't forget what I told you about collector guns. And Satan.;)

Personally, I would get it fixed. I wouldn't consider a P85 as a collector's item, so in my mind, get it done so it will be safer for you to use. I'd be surprised if there was a big market out there for pre-recall P85's, but that's just my opinion. I've got a P89 that I really like, if it had the same issue, I wouldn't hesitate to send it in.

I agree with the others that it's not like you are going to be losing a large chunk of money because of the recall.
Plus, if you don't have it fixed, there's a chance that you'll have a gun that may fail on you, possibly when it's VERY inconvenient. Or, it may become unsafe.
(I know nothing of the recall on a P85)

Get it fixed.

Edit:
So I went to Ruger's web site and looked it up. When they return the gun you also get a free magazine as a bonus.

Get it updated (I won't say fixed, as I'm sure this was a settlement of some lawsuit) I had a P89 which was almost the same pistol as the P85 MkII.

I may have portrayed my position on the pistol wrongly, it is NOT and never will be some fancy collectors pistol. They shoot well and are as mentioned a couple hundred bucks at best.

I never had some delusion of it being worth more without the update, just that he said for some reason more people wanted it unaltered. Since it doesn't have any nostalgia with me, I was just gauging how full of crap he was.
Personally I have a moral issue with selling a firearm that has been recalled for any reason, regardless of how informed both parties are on the matter.
Ruger sent me a box for return, and when the time comes I feel like getting rid of this plinker, I'll be sending it in.
Thanks for the opinions guys, I agree with all those points.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top