JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone here have any firsthand knowledge of this gun? I've found a clean, sharp used one at a local shop, I like the feel of it, its size and heft is what I like. Double stack mags probably hold 13 or 15.... gun is clean, shows little wear and use, bore is bright and sharp, ramp highly polished, trigger is smooth, even, no catch, release is even. Slide and recoil spring seem to work well. I like the feel of an all metal handgun, felt recoil is much reduced over the plastic fantastic ones..... and I don't seem to have a problem with weight in carrying it.
I know these are an older model, but that does not scare me... I have some early 70's High Powers I really like..... better than the newer ones.

anyone know about quality, reliability, accuracy, that sort of thing? Any known issues with them?

thanks... any help most appreciated.

I own one and I like it alot. It has an ambidextrous decocker and magazine release. It has cycled everything I've put through it with no FTFs or FTEs that I can remember. It is more accurate than I am. The quality, fit and finish meet my standards.

Keith

Had one for a number of years, it just wasn't for me with the double stack mag. On the plus side the pistol is not ammo senitive or grip senitive, if fact my boys at the time (8 and 10 years old)where able to shoot the pistol and it functioned perfectly.

No first hand experience but from what I have heard they are complete garbage. You can't use quality, reliability, and Ruger in the same sentence. By the way, what shop did you say you saw this hunk a junk?

I went lookin for a P89 and found a P95..

All the same. They are great guns for just blowing through whatever you want to feed it.

If you just like to shoot, they are great.

Big bulky and ugly, but they function wonderfully. :)

I had one for a year or so, good gun and would run any thing I put into it, even some reloads that I didn't expect it to cycle. Like most Rugers they are over built and will stand up to a lot of shooting. They are easy to field strip for cleaning and accurate enough (mine would do 3" at 25yds). I have owned a number of Rugers over the years and all were good guns.

Thanks for all who contributed. The one word I kept hearing was "reliable", the second was "accurate". Both were what I needed to hear, and matched the feedback I got from another forum I am on.

as to the criticisms of heavy, large, ugly..... when I picked that one up, it fell right to my hand and felt VERY natural and comfortable. I'm not necessarily looking for a carry gun, though OWB or shoulder rig would be fine. Heavy, no issue... I don't mind carrying heavy sidearms IF they can be made comfortable.... some homework regarding a proper holster will be in order if I am to carry it. And ugly... well, I couldn't care less about "ugly".

Keystir, sorry, but I had asked for FIRSTHAND experience, an d got plenty from those who have owned and used them... all of it removing my doubts about this one. I've had a number of Ruger firearms, and stout, solid, reliable, functional, accurate describe them all. NONE have been a piece of junk.... maybe you heard some stuff from someone who got mad at Ruger for some reason..... I guess there have been a couple of issues with certian new models brought out... which issues were addressed by the Works early on, and no problems since, they having developed a proper "fix" for the issues.

After reviewing all the feedback here, I went and put it on layaway... when I rustle up the rest of the bucks I'll take it home and fire it.... and report back here what I think of it. I expect it will be good......

thanks again to all who took the time to pipe up.

Keystir, sorry, but I had asked for FIRSTHAND experience, an d got plenty from those who have owned and used them... all of it removing my doubts about this one. I've had a number of Ruger firearms, and stout, solid, reliable, functional, accurate describe them all. NONE have been a piece of junk.... maybe you heard some stuff from someone who got mad at Ruger for some reason.....

Reread Keystir's quote. I think there is a bit of humor in there that you missed. ;)

Keith

I've never owned one but shot several and have a few buddies with them. They are a very good gun overall especially for the price.

The biggest complaint I have heard overall is that they bulky and heavy, which they are compared to more modern guns.

I've never owned one but shot several and have a few buddies with them. They are a very good gun overall especially for the price.

The biggest complaint I have heard overall is that they bulky and heavy, which they are compared to more modern guns.

One of my favorites of my mothers.. Was a P89.. I went shopping for one.. went lookin at the pawns and such. I found a P95 though, basically the same thing (functionally) with a rail.. I was a kid then really..

But really.. What I remembered.. It ate everything, and was easy to use, and I could always hit the center of the paper...

When I went shoppin for my first handgun. I went lookin for a P89..

Walked out with a P95 (basically the same thing).. Still love it.

Its not my carry, but I love the **** out of it. :D

Great gun and if you have bigger hands well the big hunk of junk fits it great:s0155: I regret ever selling mine years ago. If I ever come across one and have the cash will have to purchase it.

I bought my Ruger P89 new about 10 years ago and I wouldnt part with it for anything. It has NEVER failed me and is a solid well built handgun. The only mod I made to it is a Hogue wrap around grip Which I highly recommend. You cant go wrong with a good P89 IMO.

well, it's a done deal. It's home with me now, but I've been laid low by some creeping crud disease, that with the monsoon rains we've been having I've not got outside to shoot it yet. Feeling better, health wise, and I'll find a hole in the clouds this week. Same week I also brought in a Browning High Power, a far finer handgun, a tad smaller to the hand and a bit lighter, a WHOLE lot prettier..... but more than twice the money (yeah, its an older Belgium made one, so premium, collectible, and all that). I'll be trying them out in turns when I do get out.

I find the heft and feel and fit of the Ruger are good... it fits MY hand well, and that's all that matters to ME (being the autocentric sort I am when it comes to arms). I really like its hearty feel.... a workhorse.

What amazes me is that a gun of such fit, quality, finish, all metal, comes so cheap. For three hundred, that puts in in the price category of the Sigma from Smith... a REAL piece of junk, and I speak from personal experience. I was dumb enough to buy one once.. it felt like owning a boat. Best two days with it were the one I bought it, and one where I traded it off toward smething real.

I doubt I'll carry this Ruger IWB, may well pack it OWB or a shoulder rig. Maybe SOB, not sure. Its cheap enough I'd not worry about it, carrying in "risky" situations.. such as open, in California, where they can get crazy at the drop of an imaginary hat. I'd sure hate for those bozos to get hold of that BHP I just got.. a rare and pretty one.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to fire it. I've got two boxes Blaser tin-case stuff, I won't worry about picking that back up for reloading. I am anticipating it being a real sweet shooter... I like the feel of the trigger, as well.... nice and smooth, not to heavy, crisp break.