JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Holy Space Pineapples; they're back! And I too hope that Ruger gets it right. In fairness, for a major manufacturer, they consistently put out a solid product. Hopefully the Marlins are in good shape. :)

That site has been up for some time now.

Kind of a nothingburger.

Hoping Ruger gets all of the parts and such instead of starting fresh. That way I can order some!

Ditto this.

The lack of full length pics of rifles and weak ad statements doesn't inspire much confidence.
There's a button there to open the entire PDF catalog.
Ruger has been busy since the buyout, looks like.
Brought out the whole line plus some custom models.
And a 150th Anniversary 444 model.

I have confidence they will improve the quality of the Marlin line. I see the are advertising micro groove rifling for the 336. I hope they use ballard (cut) rifling in the 1895 line. I would actually prefer the used cut rifling in the entire line up vs micro groove except for maybe 22 lr.

The whole Rem-lin debacle was pretty terrible.
Yep - heard stories of some pretty bad ones and others that were quite nice. It seemed to be kind of hit and miss.

A couple years ago I was looking at a new Remlin at SW and man, it was really nice! It was one of their 'fancier' models with engraving and some gold inlays but it had very nice fit and finish and a smooth action.

Yep - heard stories of some pretty bad ones and others that were quite nice. It seemed to be kind of hit and miss.

A couple years ago I was looking at a new Remlin at SW and man, it was really nice! It was one of their 'fancier' models with engraving and some gold inlays but it had very nice fit and finish and a smooth action.
Yes, hit or miss for sure. I had two Marlins produced under Remington, sold one of them a few years back. Both were good rifles, no concerns. I saw one of the fancy ones you noted a few years ago at a shop. Brand new gun, not used. As I was looking it over, I noticed it had a broken off screw head on one of the receiver screws. I handed it back to the clerk, and said that for such a nice rifle, with a price of over $1K, you would think a problem that obvious would not have made it past their quality control/final inspection process before it was boxed up and shipped out.

I hope Ruger does well reviving the Marlin line. I have quite a few Marlin levers, and it will be good to see them available again. Also will be interested to see what changes Ruger makes.

I question the repeats of the stories told by the folks that never actually owned one. I own two Remlin-era Marlins, and they are both wonderful. :s0116:

I question the repeats of the stories told by the folks that never actually owned one.
Not unlike a lot of things but since we are talking guns the same is true for Henry. Some have nothing but disdain for them and probably have never owned (or held one) .

I can honestly say I own one and it has been excellent from day one! Complaints? yea, I have a couple but nothing related to quality, fit or finish.

I have one of the last big bore Remlins.
22" 45-70
Superbly accurate and fit and finish is better than any JM marked rifle that I have seen.

Apparently early in the Remington Era there were problems and in Gun World that sticks to your reputation like hot tar.
The later Remlins were good.

Is this just a misprint or are they really going to use a 1 in 10 twist barrel on the 444 Marlin? One gun has a realistic 1 in 20 twist and two show 1 in 10.

Screenshot_20211014-165604_OneDrive.jpg

I question the repeats of the stories told by the folks that never actually owned one. I own two Remlin-era Marlins, and they are both wonderful. :s0116:
Owned one, a 336W 6 or 7 years ago. The "stain" in the wood wore off in spots from the light drizzle the first and only time we took it out shooting. The bullets were landing everywhere but on paper. Took it to a gunsmith who put a few rounds through it then asked "what the hell did you do to this thing?" Swore I'd never own another Marlin. That may change once the .357s hit the market

They may be doing more on Instagram and FB, as websites are a pain to maintain. However, I do see the Model 60, so there may be hope for a 99M1. This time, I might not miss out.

As to twist rates, I think either there is something we don't know going on, or they will be modified. All of the MicroGroove 444s had 1:38 twist. But that was to avoid stripping the bullet. The Ballard rifled 444s had the 1:20 IIRC.

One thing we can be sure of: Ruger did not spend major bank to sit on it. The timing was not good - coming just before the Chinese world takeover. Thus, the "2020" plans were clearly shelved for the time being.

Ruger is not supporting any pre-Ruger claims. Take the gun to a competent gunsmith. Claims

At this stage, because we do not have the parts, equipment, or expertise required to service existing, pre-Ruger, Marlin firearms, we cannot honor any warranty offered by the Remington Outdoor Company. We hope you understand the constraints that limit our ability to service firearms made prior to our acquisition. In the future, we certainly will offer service of Marlin firearms produced by Ruger utilizing the same high standards we have had in place for over 70 years.

Factory threaded '95? Don't think I have seen that model before?

Nicely done Ruger; I want to see Marlin maintain their old cachet and design, not be "Rugerized", while having small improvements in options/models and choices of chamberings. Stuff like better sight options, the threaded barrel, etc.

Marlin has a history and a brand that should be continued, whether kept in house, spun off or sold.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top