Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger New Model Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RVTECH, Oct 1, 2013.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

My 'weekly' trip to one of the local shops resulted in my handling a New Model Blackhawk. It looked a little short for 6" - maybe 5 3/4" - heck I didn't measure it. Anyway while considered 'used' it has no cylinder burn and only a light turn line and no holster wear. It looks new and I do not believe it has been fired. I respect Ruger and many years ago owned a SS 7" Blackhawk and did not like the balance but this one felt different - maybe because of the shorter barrel? A set of Houges would make this feel just right. I can probably get it for $300. I want another .357 handgun but was hoping for a Smith or Colt so please talk me out of this before I do something stupid!

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Um...IMO it would be stupid NOT to get it at that price. You can't even get a decent used Ruger Single Six for much if any less these days.

Keith

3. RVTECH

The price tag is $389 but I have bought many guns from this shop over the years and I know how they operate. I am sure if I hold fast to a $300 offer they will 'cave'

4. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

BUY IT! Train is correct, if you don't like it, you can resell it for four to five hundred. I'd ditch the idea of Hogues and get ya some nice aftermarket woodies or fake ivory, plenty of sites selling nice work. Then, getcha a Mernickle high rise and you're off to the races. Single actions are a disease for which the only cure is more single actions.

Premuim Grips for the Ruger New |Premuim Grips for the Ruger New Model Blackhawk with internal grip frame lock Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips
    Mernickle Custom Holsters - Performance Series

5. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

I have owned the same 4 5/8" Blackhawk. 357 for 34 years. Countless full power loads down the pipe. Still shoots good as new. Im not sure you can wear one out. Buy it.

6. trainsktg

Brother, you got that right.

Keith

7. RVTECH

Boy you guys are a lot of help - you were supposed to talk me out of this but all I hear is 'buy it' - I hope the next time I ask for guidance I hope I get something like 'NO! Don't do it!' Like if I asked if I should get married again or something stupid like that!

8. trainsktg

Yeah, $389 is still a pretty good deal for what sounds close to a 100% gun.

Keith

9. RVTECH

Yes it is as I described, which is part of the reason I was interested - unfortunately the near 100 % would be reduced by a few digits!

10. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It sounds like it's a 5 1/2" Blackhawk. $350 would be a very fair price for a gun that doesn't show much use.

11. RVTECH

Ruger shows only a 4.62 or a 6.50 barrel for the new model so I will take a guess and say it is the 6.50. I'll probably hold out at $300 since I ALWAYS drive a hard bargain (and usually show cash which always helps)

12. orygun

Ruger has made a 5 1/2" Blackhawk, but apparently not in .357. An easy way to tell barrel length is to compare it to the ejector rod housing. If the barrel is even with the ejector rod housing, 4 5/8". Longer? 6 1/2". I've owned several Blackhawks (including a 50th Anniversary .357 Flat top), one Super, and even a Blackhawk SRM in 357 Maximum with a 10 1/2". The only one I've kept is an Old Model 41 Mag 6 1/2" that I'm going to have chopped to 5 1/2" someday. I too don't like the balance of the long barrel.
    Still, if you can get it for close to $300, you made a very good deal.

13. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP North of Salem, south of Portland Active Member

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!............ :devil:

14. orygun

No! If you're single, don't get married again! (Happy now?)

15. Dapapadon

Dapapadon Gladstone, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Buy it, you know you want it.

But $300 sounds like family price. That store owner doesn't have a sister-in-law he keeps mentioning does he?

Did that help talk you out of it?:)

16. ruger45blackhawk

ruger45blackhawk milwaukie Active Member

Where is it? I will go and buy the thing!!! :wiggle:

17. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

You're asking a bunch of gun guys about buying an underpriced gun, of course all you're going to hear is "buy it"!!!!

18. RVTECH

And it didn't work - final price $340.00. I was dreaming at $300, hoping for $325.00 and lost a coin toss between $330 and $340. I hope I did ok.

19. trainsktg

You did OK+. Congrats :) .

Keith

20. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Haha, nice! Don't beat yourself up too bad, I haven't seen even a blued one below $400 around here, having just shopped .357's, it looks like you made a wonderful pre-apocalyptic hysteria era purchase on a fine weapon.