JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 'weekly' trip to one of the local shops resulted in my handling a New Model Blackhawk. It looked a little short for 6" - maybe 5 3/4" - heck I didn't measure it. Anyway while considered 'used' it has no cylinder burn and only a light turn line and no holster wear. It looks new and I do not believe it has been fired. I respect Ruger and many years ago owned a SS 7" Blackhawk and did not like the balance but this one felt different - maybe because of the shorter barrel? A set of Houges would make this feel just right. I can probably get it for $300. I want another .357 handgun but was hoping for a Smith or Colt so please talk me out of this before I do something stupid!

BUY IT! Train is correct, if you don't like it, you can resell it for four to five hundred. I'd ditch the idea of Hogues and get ya some nice aftermarket woodies or fake ivory, plenty of sites selling nice work. Then, getcha a Mernickle high rise and you're off to the races. Single actions are a disease for which the only cure is more single actions.

<broken link removed>
Mernickle Custom Holsters - Performance Series

Boy you guys are a lot of help - you were supposed to talk me out of this but all I hear is 'buy it' - I hope the next time I ask for guidance I hope I get something like 'NO! Don't do it!' Like if I asked if I should get married again or something stupid like that!

Ruger shows only a 4.62 or a 6.50 barrel for the new model so I will take a guess and say it is the 6.50. I'll probably hold out at $300 since I ALWAYS drive a hard bargain (and usually show cash which always helps)

Ruger has made a 5 1/2" Blackhawk, but apparently not in .357. An easy way to tell barrel length is to compare it to the ejector rod housing. If the barrel is even with the ejector rod housing, 4 5/8". Longer? 6 1/2". I've owned several Blackhawks (including a 50th Anniversary .357 Flat top), one Super, and even a Blackhawk SRM in 357 Maximum with a 10 1/2". The only one I've kept is an Old Model 41 Mag 6 1/2" that I'm going to have chopped to 5 1/2" someday. I too don't like the balance of the long barrel.
Still, if you can get it for close to $300, you made a very good deal.

Boy you guys are a lot of help - you were supposed to talk me out of this but all I hear is 'buy it' - I hope the next time I ask for guidance I hope I get something like 'NO! Don't do it!' Like if I asked if I should get married again or something stupid like that!

No! If you're single, don't get married again! (Happy now?)

You're asking a bunch of gun guys about buying an underpriced gun, of course all you're going to hear is "buy it"!!!!

Haha, nice! Don't beat yourself up too bad, I haven't seen even a blued one below $400 around here, having just shopped .357's, it looks like you made a wonderful pre-apocalyptic hysteria era purchase on a fine weapon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top