JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are a few family owned firearm companies left these days. They include Mossberg, Kahr, Springfield Armory, Barrett Firearms, Cooper, and Montana Rifle Company. There are probably many others, especially among AR makers.

And I believe that Gaston Glock may actually still own Glock. I've not heard otherwise.

Bill Jr. is not responsible for the recent change in the company's direction. He became President of the company in 1991, spoke in support of his father's proposed mag capacity limits in 1994, became CEO in 2000, and was forced out of the company in early 2006. The company bought out the Ruger family shares later that year or early 2007. The Ruger family has had zero involvement with the company since then.

quote ...
"It's true that we make that clip. But it is also true that we will sell it only to police officers. Someone who is not a police officer can buy one made elsewhere, but we can't do anything about that. What we can do is be a responsible firearms manufacturer ourselves. And we believe we are." William B. Ruger Jr., 1994

Bill Jr. is not responsible for the recent change in the company's direction. He became President of the company in 1991, spoke in support of his father's proposed mag capacity limits in 1994, became CEO in 2000, and was forced out of the company in early 2006. The company bought out the Ruger family shares later that year or early 2007. The Ruger family has had zero involvement with the company since then.

quote ...
"It's true that we make that clip. But it is also true that we will sell it only to police officers. Someone who is not a police officer can buy one made elsewhere, but we can't do anything about that. What we can do is be a responsible firearms manufacturer ourselves. And we believe we are." William B. Ruger Jr., 1994

He said "clip" tee hee.

Oh, what did we do before internet "know it alls", who dont believe that the term "clip" used to be accepted lingo, even with gun guys.

Oh, what did we do before internet "know it alls", who dont believe that the term "clip" used to be accepted lingo, even with gun guys.

My father is a "gun guy" and he used that word for pretty much any detachable feeding device up until the early 2000s. I vaguely recall some of his contemporaries doing the same. So, I know what you mean about the older generation of shooters using "clip" when referring to "magazine".

My father is a "gun guy" and he used that word for pretty much any detachable feeding device up until the early 2000s. I vaguely recall some of his contemporaries doing the same. So, I know what you mean about the older generation of shooters using "clip" when referring to "magazine".

Yeah my dad won state championship Creedmore and silhouette competitions and still says clip.

quote ...

My mistake. That New York Times article that I posted was about actions and things said by his father, Bill Ruger, Senior, back when he still ran the company.

The article is not about his son, who just passed away, much less the current owners of Ruger.

Father and son both sharing the same name confused me.

That's because it was accepted terminology. Clip meant that it was a magazine that "clipped" into place, as opposed to a fixed magazine, either a blind floorplate or tubular. Look at firearms literature of all kinds up to the 80's and you'll find that kind of wording.

According to the New York Times, William B Ruger, Jr was in favor of both banning high capacity magazines, and also imposing a nation-wide waiting period for buying a firearm. I think that his views on guns may have been different, than those of his father.

Take a look:

When a Gun Maker Proposed Gun Control

His father, Bill Sr, was NOT gun friendly either so no surprise the son was not. I had not known the family sold out and no longer had any input. It makes sense now. I had thought it was the kid who let things go when Dad left. It was when the kid left that the Company decided to make what gun owners wanted instead of what they "thought we should be able" to own. Makes sense now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top