JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking into buying a Ruger .22 lr semi-auto. Originally I had a MKII and thought of replacing it with a MKIII, particularly after my daughter complained about the weight and recoil of the unfamiliar S&W 686+ she was shooting while at the range with me.

However, I had forgotten how heavy the MKIII Target in 5.5 in bull barrel is--about the same as the 686+. I tested the feel of the 22/45 lite and see that there is a 22/45 Target which seems to have the same barrel and all of the MKIII Target, but comes in at the weight of the S&W M66 K-frame.

Does anyone have comparison information? General feel and operation? Is the felt recoil (I know, .22 lr) more on the 22/45?

Then, what are some good prices at vendors sort of local to Salem, sponsors of this web site?

Have you looked at the Ruger SR22? Small and light, and looks more like a normal semi-auto pistol too, bonus! Not sure what you are using it for though, almost sounds like precision target shooting instead of plinking since you mention bull barrels and Target models. SR22 should make a fine plinker (I have one, but haven't shot it yet), but pretty sure you won't see them in target shooting competitions.

I've owned both the 22/45 and the Mark III. I kept the Mark III and sold the 22/45. Both are great little target/plinking pistols, but yes, the Mark III Bull Barrel is a bit heavier. I've got no complaints about either, I just preferred the Mark III. But, I've considered adding a 22/45 back into the collection at some point down the road. If weight is the biggest concern, probably best to go with 22/45. I can also give thumbs up to the S&W M&P 22 - great pistol, shoots very well.

Given the cost and scarcity of .22 lr I would be using the pistol strictly for guests who want low recoil and low weight for target shooting/marksmanship. I prefer revolvers and I can reload .38 spl for about the same price as current for quality .22 lr. Maybe cheaper.

I'm tempted to go with the 22/45 as I found it comfortable in my hand, but want to make sure that the additional recoil with the lighter pistol is not particularly noticeable. I really don't expect recoil to be much with .22 lr, but want to get real world verification.

And about prices... Sportsmens Warehouse has the MKIII Target 5.5" at $379 for the blued version, had the 22/45 Lite with 4.5" barrel on sale for $359 a week or so ago. I think that two of the Albany shops were selling the MKIII Target 5.5" for the same price.

What are you seeing out there? Again, I prefer to buy local or patronize this website sponsors.

I had a 22/45, was fun to shoot but not 100 percent reliable and not as easy to clean. I sold it.
A few months ago I bought a ruger sr22 and love it. Zero issues so far and I have ran a brick of thunderbolts through it without any issues.
I feel the sr22 is 'minute of grouse accuracy' at 20 yards.

Another option to the "lite" is just getting a "standard" Ruger Mk. The thin barrel is lighter, cheaper and is pretty much as accurate as the target. The biggest difference is the sight radius is a bit shorter, but not that much. I have an old standard from the 1950s that is every bit as accurate and fun to shoot as a new Mk III target with aftermarket trigger and mods. YMMV.

+1 for the original mkI

I learned to shoot on one at age 4. I still love to shoot it for plinking. Eats cheap ammo and very rarely has issues (mostly just cheap ammo guming it up after a brick or three).

Someone just today I think either posted or bumped one for sale on this board.

How about a stainless MK II with an integral silencer? Much lighter then they look (looks like a 10" bull barrel).

I saw a pair for $999 each at the last gun show I went too.m

I've been drooling ever since.

Not into gee gaws; just practical application. Enticing new shooters in this case.

I'm not familiar with a gee gaw... Is that slang for expensive gun?

IMO a stainless, silenced target pistol is the perfect piece to entice a new shooter. Quiet, accurate and purdy to boot. Not to mention a great close range pest control;)

I have a 22/45 MKIII stainless 5.5" bull barrel and I love it. The polymer frame and stainless upper make it a great trail gun, and the bull barrel minimizes the already minimal muzzle flip, plus with the excellent adjustable sights, you can really dial it in with your preferred ammo. (assuming you can find some). I bought a Walther P22 for my wife, and while it is very small and light, it is not nearly as accurate as the 22/45, and I would expect the Ruger SR22 to be similar. I much prefer the grip angle on the 22/45 to the all steel MKI, II and III, as well as the lighter weight to pack if you carry it in a holster. Also, the Walther P22 is a lot louder with the 3" barrel than the 5.5" 22/45. My 2 cents worth.

"IMO a stainless, silenced target pistol is the perfect piece to entice a new shooter. Quiet, accurate and purdy to boot. "

Hmmm. That's what I thought our club machine gun shoots are all about.

Last Edited:
I have a bull barrel mark 3, a 22/45 light, and a buckmark. The mark 3 has a full volquartsen kit, the 22/45 has a volquartsen sear and trigger and a mag connector omit, and the buckmark has a mag safety omit and a haggis flip. The mark 3 is kind of heavy but very accurate and it has a fantastic trigger. the 22/45 is quite a bit lighter and it has a good trigger that is not as crisp or as light as the mark 3 trigger and its probably not as accurate. The buckmark has a very nice feel and heft to it, it has a nice trigger and it seems very accurate although it is ammo sensitive.

The mark 3 has a different grip angle than the 22/45 or the buckmark. I prefer the more upright grip angle of the latter 2.

I tend to take out the 22/45 for plinking and to train newer shooters. Its recoil is a very slight bit more than the mark 3. But its a very light handgun.

If I could only choose one, it would probably be the 22/45.

Thanks again for the comments. My target guest is my daughter so I am leaning towards the 22/45 with the basic grip as the gun is medium weight and the grip slim. My daughter selected the same from a photo and description, but on Saturday we are going to a counter friendly (doesn't sound like Keith's) shop for some touchy feely.

We went to NW Armory Saturday and my daughter selected the 22/45 with blued molded grip--just as I had anticipated.

The NW staff was immediately attentive and helpful. But then I pretty well knew what I wanted so it was just a matter of some touchy feely and out the door.

They didn't have any CCI stashed, but sold me Remington supersonic ammo for $3.49 per 50.

My first non California purchase, was ecstatic about being able to take the pistol home immediately after purchase.

I'm looking into buying a Ruger .22 lr semi-auto. Originally I had a MKII and thought of replacing it with a MKIII, particularly after my daughter complained about the weight and recoil of the unfamiliar S&W 686+ she was shooting while at the range with me.

However, I had forgotten how heavy the MKIII Target in 5.5 in bull barrel is--about the same as the 686+. I tested the feel of the 22/45 lite and see that there is a 22/45 Target which seems to have the same barrel and all of the MKIII Target, but comes in at the weight of the S&W M66 K-frame.

Does anyone have comparison information? General feel and operation? Is the felt recoil (I know, .22 lr) more on the 22/45?

Then, what are some good prices at vendors sort of local to Salem, sponsors of this web site?
I have owned many Rugers in standard and target weight. I just purchased a MKIII 22/45 Lite with 4.5 inch barrel and target sights. I love it to pieces and plan on shooting the stuffing out of it. I also have a SS Sparrow can attached and the lil gun is all the performer I could hope for. It is super accurate and very light but well ballenced. It is far more accurate than the Sr22 pistol and can be modified with drop in parts to anyones liking. You can not go wrong with this pistol.