Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger Mk1/Standard Fieldstrip

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RangerEric, Jul 14, 2011.

1. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

Howdy all -

So despite all the horror stories I've heard about how complicated and terrible it is taking apart Ruger Standards, I decided to perform some exploratory surgery, and things went terribly awry. I unfolded the little spring bar in the back of the grip, and pulled the pin it's attached to out of the "upper" or "slide" or whatever, and now the "charging handle" or "bolt" is totally jammed up. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

2. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

Did you make sure to UNCOCK the pistol before you tried to remove the mainspring housing? You have to pull the trigger to make sure it is UNCOCKED BEFORE you can disassemble it.

ONLY do so AFTER safety checking the pistol, and making sure it is UNLOADED, and FREE of ammunition.

Read the instruction manual.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_mki.pdf

3. RangerEric

No, I probably didn't.... the manual is bound to help, thanks. How screwed am I if I took the pin out before decocking it..?

4. nwo

Won't let me post my full reply!

5. RangerEric

Huh..?

6. nwo

I'm trying to post a long reply, but the dumb website wont let me. Keep getting an error. Frustrating.

7. RangerEric

After much anguish and Youtube time, the pistol is reassembled. Dang that was hard!

8. Guilty

Guilty Salem, Oregon Active Member

I suggest that you print a user manual and keep it on hand, it gets easier each time.

9. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I have three Rugers and am intimidated by what I've heard about cleaning them. I can take apart a Glock now; that is a big step for me. Maybe I'll have to sell them when they get too dirty LOL.

10. RangerEric

Haha, yeah, I'm thinking my grandkids will be the next ones to clean mine........! :p

11. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Stevespages.com had an extensive list of manuals in PDF where you can find just about any info your needing, hope this helps.
    A friend "??" once called and asked if I could take a look at his rifle, he came over with a fully disassembled Mod 94 30-30, ARRGG! This site gave me new hope regarding my lack of memory and/or skills when attempting to do a this;), it once again went bang!

12. GabOnMac

GabOnMac Mid-Valley New Member

Now that you've done it once, you need to go out and get it dirty and clean it again. I suggest doing that today.

13. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

I like the look and feel of those Ruger Mark pistols, BUT I have read more than one story of the troubles of take down. I have also read that if practiced enough that it is not so bad.
    Mike

14. GabOnMac

GabOnMac Mid-Valley New Member

Bruzer, it's not the take down that's much of a problem. It's the reassembly that gives you a headache the first couple of times. Great little gun to shoot and well worth the trouble of reassembly in my book.