JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my new ruger mk iv stainless target is on its second trip back to ruger. I bought it new and it jammed about once every magazine. I sent it back to be fixed . It received a new bolt and a large list of repairs. So I get it back and no matter what ammo I feed it it jams about once every 50 to 100 rounds ( failure to eject ie stove pipe). So it is on its way back again for repairs. Anyone else encounter this?

Not in either of my IVs or IIIs. They tend to be troopers.

Makes me wonder if it's the magazine not the gun. Especially if it happens after repairs have been made via Ruger.

Did you send it in with the magazines as well?

It happens.

Main causes: wrong ammo or weak ammo too early in the guns life.

Until the pistol is well broken in, use quality ammo.

85A469DE-3012-4783-A896-40E30A926105.jpeg

The MKIV 22/45 Lite on top:
It's run near flawless since purchase. The first 180 rounds were dry, no lube and it still functioned perfectly. Added some lube and still functioned flawless

The MKIII 22/45 bottom:
She had some issues when new but it never went back to Ruger. I found the most issues are ammo related. I can fire CCI standards, stingers and many more sans issues. The moment I switch to Federal bulk garbage I get problems. I can now run Aguila subsonic 40 gr ammo out of it without issues. I couldn't do that in the beginning.

My issues:
Stove piping, ammo getting caught in the ramp due to lack of energy being exerted forward (weak ammo pushed bolt not far enough back). 98% of failures are related to ammo in my experience.

So, what ammo were you using? Be honest now...

Besides, you have the pistol that's next in my collection of 22's.

Not in either of my IVs or IIIs. They tend to be troopers.

Makes me wonder if it's the magazine not the gun. Especially if it happens after repairs have been made via Ruger.

Did you send it in with the magazines as well?
yes...Why would it shoot 50 or so rounds then jam? I would think if it was the mags it would jam consistently...Like you my mk II and mk III run awesome

It happens.

Main causes: wrong ammo or weak ammo too early in the guns life.

Until the pistol is well broken in, use quality ammo.

View attachment 599699

The MKIV 22/45 Lite on top:
It's run near flawless since purchase. The first 180 rounds were dry, no lube and it still functioned perfectly. Added some lube and still functioned flawless

The MKIII 22/45 bottom:
She had some issues when new but it never went back to Ruger. I found the most issues are ammo related. I can fire CCI standards, stingers and many more sans issues. The moment I switch to Federal bulk garbage I get problems. I can now run Aguila subsonic 40 gr ammo out of it without issues. I couldn't do that in the beginning.

My issues:
Stove piping, ammo getting caught in the ramp due to lack of energy being exerted forward (weak ammo pushed bolt not far enough back). 98% of failures are related to ammo in my experience.

So, what ammo were you using? Be honest now...

Besides, you have the pistol that's next in my collection of 22's.
Nice guns! Like I said no matter what ammo I shoot cci mini mag federal match etc etc..When it does jam you can feel it in the recoil . So far it has about 3k worth of different ammo and does the same thing... Just disappointing in their higher end offering of the mk IV that is for sure . Mine is the the stainless target model with threaded barrel.

Sadly it sounds like you got one that slipped through. I did not see if you mentioned trying some more mags? If you only have the two it came with I would try a couple more first. Then how are the followers in the mags doing? Do they move freely? On all my MK's. II, III, and IV the mags will get gunked up after time and sticky. Use some spray cleaner then when dry some graphite.
Buddy of mine has a MKIII that for years was giving him fits. Finally he ordered a new extractor from Volquartsen. When he got it he had a hell of a time getting the one in the pistol out. There was something not right with it. After he put the new one in the problems vanished. I know its a PITA that you have sent a damn nice pistol back twice now and it still is not right. If it's worth it to you see if there is a Smith in the area who can check it? These are very nice pistols. Sure hope you can get it to sing like it should.

The mags have been replaced.. I agree with you about the extractor. Ruger has paid for both trips back and forth so I am sure it will get fixed. Besides the jamming I really like the new model and all the new features.

The mags have been replaced.. I agree with you about the extractor. Ruger has paid for both trips back and forth so I am sure it will get fixed. Besides the jamming I really like the new model and all the new features.

At least they are footing the bill. It is such a damn nice looking pistol. Hopefully another trip back and they can make it work. I know it has to be frustrating as hell.

I've got a few thousand rounds in my mkiv Hunter. I swapped the Volquartzen kit before shooting her, and I was having light primer strikes before I swapped the firing pin. The Volquartzen kit put the trigger around 1.5# on a scale. I love it! She will eat any cheap ammo.

I bought a MK IV tactical last year. It had a lot of issues with stove pipes for about 500 rounds. I debated between sending it back or replacing the extractor. I finally decided that replacing the extractor with an Eagle's Talon for $10 was easier than sending it back to Ruger. It has about 1000 rounds without a stove pipe afterwards.

It is frustrating to have to replace the extractor on a new pistol. A lot of people on these message boards will say that someone should make Ruger fix the problem. I guess that is true, but it is what it is and I am happy with my MK IV. Hopefully they get yours fixed on this trip.

Since my only .22 caliber are 10/22's, I figured it was time for something more modern. Preferably a pistol.
The Ruger MK IV's caught my eye, and next thing there were several in front of me on the counter.

I ended up buying the Davidson's Exclusive.
Meanwhile, I bought four more magclips, and am currently looking in-to a red dot, possibly a str8 trigger, and cocking ring.

I have Volquartson extractors in both of my S&W 15-22's. My brother has their 10/22 version. I just put a Tandem Kross extractor in my daughter's mk4. It ran flawless till it didn't. Swapped out the factory one for the Tandem Kross and it is now flawless again.

Volquartson, Kidd, Tandem Kross all make quality replacement extractors.
Their tolerances and precise geometry, are vastly superior to any of the one's Ruger can crank out. I would actually pay more if Ruger were to offer any of the above brands as a factory installed option. Same goes for S&W....just my .02

Last Edited:
Mine had a lot of problems . They did fix it though . It will not shoot federal but eats Remington with no problem now. I shot about 300 rounds with no problem whosoever . Now I will start replacing parts extractor / trigger job . I just did not want to start replacing parts while it did not work to start with.. When it comes to customer service and repair Ruger is top notch.

I'm glad Ruger fixed your pistol. Mine started eating Federal after replacing the extractor. I also installed the Volquartson trigger kit. It is accurate and reliable after those two upgrades.

Mk IV owner here for 9 years? Whenever they came out, I bought one. Thousands of rounds now, zero problems.

Sorry you're having bad luck. Must've got a lemon.

Mk IV owner here for 9 years? Whenever they came out, I bought one. Thousands of rounds now, zero problems.

Sorry you're having bad luck. Must've got a lemon.

The MKIV has only been out a couple years now. When it first hit very soon they had a massive recall of every one made for a safety upgrade. Some said they got one that would fire while safety was engaged. So that backed up the supply line for a long time as Ruger was replacing the safety on every one they already had made and shipped. Suspect you may have a MKII or MKIII.
In any case the "problem" with the extractor has been a known thing for a very long time. FAR from every one they make needs it worked on. They make literally millions of these and most of them just work. Of course that does not make the guy who gets a problem feel better. ALL mass manufacturers will let a problem out the door now and then. So of course the few problems are the owners who make some noise. Of the few problems that get out the extractor is very often the culprit no matter which version. Main "upgrade" to the MKIV design is how easy they are to strip for cleaning. Whoever came up with the idea deserves to have gotten rich off it. They are in a whole different league as far as ease of taking them down and putting them back together.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top