JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The MKIV has only been out a couple years now. When it first hit very soon they had a massive recall of every one made for a safety upgrade. Some said they got one that would fire while safety was engaged. So that backed up the supply line for a long time as Ruger was replacing the safety on every one they already had made and shipped. Suspect you may have a MKII or MKIII.
In any case the "problem" with the extractor has been a known thing for a very long time. FAR from every one they make needs it worked on. They make literally millions of these and most of them just work. Of course that does not make the guy who gets a problem feel better. ALL mass manufacturers will let a problem out the door now and then. So of course the few problems are the owners who make some noise. Of the few problems that get out the extractor is very often the culprit no matter which version. Main "upgrade" to the MKIV design is how easy they are to strip for cleaning. Whoever came up with the idea deserves to have gotten rich off it. They are in a whole different league as far as ease of taking them down and putting them back together.
Mine is stupid accurate. I was doing 75% at 40 to 50 yards with an 8" steel target offhand. I could probably do 100% if I really wanted to.

Oi. Say it ain't so. Sounds like the Mark IV won't work unless you get some other company's parts. That they can't even fix it at the factory with Ruger parts. I used to have an M II that I shot many thousands of rounds through, and it never misfired or jammed or failed to eject even once. Sounds like I shoulda kept it.

I've got the Volquartzen hammer, bushing, trigger, seer, springs, extractor, firing pin, and rear sight. No problems after I installed the firing pin and extractor. I was having light primer strikes after the Volquartzen install.

Oi. Say it ain't so. Sounds like the Mark IV won't work unless you get some other company's parts. That they can't even fix it at the factory with Ruger parts. I used to have an M II that I shot many thousands of rounds through, and it never misfired or jammed or failed to eject even once. Sounds like I shoulda kept it.
The have sold untold millions of the MK's through it's various iterations. Of course if a lot of them had problems Ruger would never have the market share they do. This has good and bad. The good is all the after market stuff for both the pistols and the rifle. The bad is cranking out that many there are some problems that slip past the QA people. So the poor guy who gets a problem is of course the one who makes the most noise.
I have a MKII I have had so long I can't remember when I bought it any more. Got a MKIII right after they came out in the 22/45 LITE and loved it. Had a problem soon after buying it that Ruger fixed over the phone. Bought a MKIV while the MKII was dead and still love it. Seldom shot the MKIII after that. While back I did and just used spray cleaner since it's still a PITA to take down. I let it dry and it no longer worked, have no idea what happened this time:mad:. I thought it would have to go back but a guy wanted the receiver for a project. Offered me enough that I let it go to just be rid of it. LOVE the pistols but that iteration was the worst of all of them to me. For those who get one that has feeding issues often the extractor turns out to be the problem child.

Well... not so. The TK parts that can be installed will increase the coverage of the blast shield on the MKIV that protects the sear, also removes the magazine disconnect so you can drop the hammer without a magazine in it.

I also have a 1978 model MKI that still eats everything and is unmodified.

The MKIV has only been out a couple years now. When it first hit very soon they had a massive recall of every one made for a safety upgrade. Some said they got one that would fire while safety was engaged. So that backed up the supply line for a long time as Ruger was replacing the safety on every one they already had made and shipped. Suspect you may have a MKII or MKIII.
In any case the "problem" with the extractor has been a known thing for a very long time. FAR from every one they make needs it worked on. They make literally millions of these and most of them just work. Of course that does not make the guy who gets a problem feel better. ALL mass manufacturers will let a problem out the door now and then. So of course the few problems are the owners who make some noise. Of the few problems that get out the extractor is very often the culprit no matter which version. Main "upgrade" to the MKIV design is how easy they are to strip for cleaning. Whoever came up with the idea deserves to have gotten rich off it. They are in a whole different league as far as ease of taking them down and putting them back together.
It was a employee that did it at home

At least they are footing the bill. It is such a damn nice looking pistol. Hopefully another trip back and they can make it work. I know it has to be frustrating as hell.
Took my brother sending a firearm back to them 3 times, but they finally made it right. I'd polish the chamber, might help. What's it gonna hurt?

Never had any issues with any of mine! The MK-1 Runs flawless, as it has since my dad bought it in the early 60's
the MK-II has run flawlessly since new in the early 90's, never any jambs or stovepipes!
The MK-IV has so far been flawless once broken in! This one was in need of some de-horning inside around the bolt and the mag, but once I blended it all in, it has never failed, though the factory charging handle "grip" cuts actually cut my hand when charging it the first few times!
I would think you would need FULL POWER ammo would be pretty much required to get every thing broken in properly, and then Standard velocity after should be easy!

Never had any issues with any of mine! The MK-1 Runs flawless, as it has since my dad bought it in the early 60's
the MK-II has run flawlessly since new in the early 90's, never any jambs or stovepipes!
The MK-IV has so far been flawless once broken in! This one was in need of some de-horning inside around the bolt and the mag, but once I blended it all in, it has never failed, though the factory charging handle "grip" cuts actually cut my hand when charging it the first few times!
I would think you would need FULL POWER ammo would be pretty much required to get every thing broken in properly, and then Standard velocity after should be easy!

That is the standard with these. That of course is part of what makes them so damn popular. Love or hate them it's hard to not see the huge market share that Ruger's .22 have. I have had so many I lost track. So far the only problem has been the MKIII I had. If I had not bought the MKIV I am sure I would have sent it back to Ruger to try again. Someone offered me a couple hundred for it not working since they wanted the receiver so I just threw in the towel on it. That is certainly not the norm with these though. Had not shot my old MKII in many years. When I got it out to clean it to take it out again this week I noticed the MKIII mags lock it on it. I have a dozen MKIII mags that I was not sure what I was going to do with after getting rid of the pistol. Looked at getting new base plates for them to use them in the MKIV but they cost enough it was not really worth it. Was going to toss them in a junk box for later finding a home. If they do work in the MKII that will make them useful again :)

I just bought my Ruger MKIV and I am using CCI subsonic ammo. It jams with every shot. The case is not ejecting and is getting caught up with the chambering round. Any recommendations?

I just bought my Ruger MKIV and I am using CCI subsonic ammo. It jams with every shot. The case is not ejecting and is getting caught up with the chambering round. Any recommendations?
Get a Volquartsen spring kit for the bolt and go with the light spring for shooting std vel and subs.

One common problem is the extractor. The after market ones very often fix this exact problem and are supposed to be easy to install. Have a buddy in anther state has a MKIII that gave him fits for years. He is meticulous at how he takes care of his stuff and refused to sell it. He finally tried a new extractor from Volq. and the problem went away. It now feeds the CCI standard all day.

Does it jam with std or HV ammo?
As mentioned in the previous posts, a spring kit and/or a new extractor may very well fix your issues. My SOP is to replace the extractor on any new gun I buy (10/22, MK series pistols, S&W 15-22, etc) with one from Volquartsen. It's cheap insurance and vastly superior to the factory extractor.
You could always call Ruger. The one time I had to interact with them was with a Ruger 9mm carbine. The overall experience was positive, but some of the comments from the tech had me rolling my eyes....

Hope you get it up and running properly.

One common problem is the extractor. The after market ones very often fix this exact problem and are supposed to be easy to install. Have a buddy in anther state has a MKIII that gave him fits for years. He is meticulous at how he takes care of his stuff and refused to sell it. He finally tried a new extractor from Volq. and the problem went away. It now feeds the CCI standard all day.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

I don't see a spring kit available for the MKIV, so you might send an email or give them a call....;)
They pop up if you search their site for them;

don't know why they have it set like this. I had the same problem while back looking for these when another buddy mentioned them. They don't show up then if you type it into search they are there:confused:

Yes. Quit using subsonic ammo without changing the spring. The CCI Standards will be subsonic in the pistol as well and they actually cycle the action.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top